Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #1

Questions about LED awning light strip

Will I need any additional parts to cut the strip to the length of the awning?

I understand some light strips have tape that does not stick very well, does anyone have any input or recommendations?

5050 vs 3528? I like the bright blue/white best, I might like to entertain the kids with the fancy flashing colors, fading and I would like it to be dimmable. That being said I think I need the 5050.

The first example of this I saw that really caught my attention was in the RV sales showroom where the light strip was at the end of the awning (under the flap). I really like it there but I didn't notice how this was setup but would think this might only work if the awning was out all the time such as on a showroom floor.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

You shouldn't need any parts to cut your strip to length. Just look for where the "scissors" picture is. It will be on the strip every three LED's.

The tape is worthless. You will want to use 3M Auto Trim tape you can find at a Auto Parts store. It has a red backing on it and its very sticky.

I have RGB - 5050's on mine and love it. If you are just going with a solid color I do know that 3528 in blue is very bright (have them above my step).

I also have my RGB - LED's "under the flap" and I will take some pictures on Mon & Tues when I get the TT ready for the 4th.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

So being mounted under the awning flap, it just rolls up inside the awning without any issues? This is where I would prefer to have it mounted but not sure how this would work.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Where are you tapping the power from, can you tap right into the wires on the awning itself. I have a 14 Eagle RBTS334 with an already power awning with the led strip right at the beginning of the awning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownjm View Post
You shouldn't need any parts to cut your strip to length. Just look for where the "scissors" picture is. It will be on the strip every three LED's.

The tape is worthless. You will want to use 3M Auto Trim tape you can find at a Auto Parts store. It has a red backing on it and its very sticky.

I have RGB - 5050's on mine and love it. If you are just going with a solid color I do know that 3528 in blue is very bright (have them above my step).

I also have my RGB - LED's "under the flap" and I will take some pictures on Mon & Tues when I get the TT ready for the 4th.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

I have an outside receptacle I would plug into for now. I have heard of wiring into the switch for the outside light.

This is the set I'm thinking of ordering from amazon..
http://www.amazon.ca/Besdata-Waterpr...050+waterproof

The set at my local store is only 8' long for $130.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

I would just be using the outside receptacle now to plug in, but I have heard of someone tapping into the switch for the outside light. My awning is not electric, so not an option there.

This is the led light strip available at my local store for $130 :
Indoor/Outdoor Multi-colour LED Strip Lights | Canadian Tire

Compared to the one on amazon I'm considering for $36 free shipping
Besdata 16.4ft 5M Waterproof Rope Lights 300 LED 5050 SMD Color Changing RGB Flexible LED Strip Light + 12V 6A Power Supply + Remote + IR Controller - Muliticolored - PL709A_CA, Electrical - Amazon Canada

I feel like I'm overlooking something at such a price difference.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

On the subject of color, the 2016 Jay Flights have a factory installed blue/white led installed to the camper side wall just under the awning when it is rolled up. Only tried out
our new camper for three nights so far. I quickly observed that the blue/white non-adjustable lights certainly attract a LOT of bugs. Not sure how useful these "factory"
lights will be. I think I will take along my lights that I can hang on the extended awning "just in case".
Fred Korz is offline   Reply With Quote