Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

questions about our new to us 19H

We sold our pop up and picked up a 2011 19H. Our first trip will be yosemite and then santa Barbara leaving Friday. I would like to get a quieter inverter generator but am wondering if I really need a 4000W if I only need to run the A/C with it.
The roof. Is it weight bearing for me to crawl on for when we need to cover it for storage?
Thanks.
Danvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

If nobody else posts I can give an opinion to start out with based on what I've seen and read.

2000W seems to be right on the edge for A/C. I have a 2000W Hyundai that does fine, but it is over spec'ed. I've read people being able to use the 2000W Honda and Yamaha until they get up to a certain elevation and then it cuts out. No personal experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Your flat roof is likely the same as my X17 flat roof and personally I don't go up there unless I put down a sheet of plywood or beams to support me and protect the rubber.

I don't cover mine for the Winter and there is a lot of threads on the great cover/no cover debate.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

I have a 19H and I have been up on the roof on a couple of occasions. I think the idea of some kind of matt to put down to protect the rubber is a good idea when your up there. I crawl, and wear soft sole shoes. You really shouldn't have to get on the roof to cover the camper. A couple of extra hands and a large step ladder work pretty good.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #4

I walk on my 23B roof after each camping trip when I wash it off. Bare feet is the rule...no shoes that may impale the roof with a pebble or something. Your A/C unit is smack in the middle of the roof, weighs 90 lbs + and gets bounced around as you travel unbeknownst in your vehicle. "What the eye doesn't see, the heart can't grieve over."

Unless you have special boards that have rounded over corners, you are more likely to damage the rubber roof sliding the boards around than you would if you just took off your shoes and walked on it.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I walk on my 23B roof after each camping trip when I wash it off. Bare feet is the rule...no shoes that may impale the roof with a pebble or something. Your A/C unit is smack in the middle of the roof, weighs 90 lbs + and gets bounced around as you travel unbeknownst in your vehicle. "What the eye doesn't see, the heart can't grieve over."
Isn't the 23b a rounded roof?
On mine, and I assume the 19h, there are two cross beams that go directly under the a/c to support it, which has spread out weight. Otherwise the cross beams are fairly far apart. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but with an aging roof, I wouldn't take the chance of my 200lbs on a 16 inch square area (1 foot) on one of these flat roofs.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Thank you all for the replies. I watched a video on the cover we intend to purchase and in their demo they were up on the roof. I like the idea of a few ladders and help to put it on. With the intense AZ sun a cover is a must. The result if uncovered is a very flat, faded finish.
Danvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Isn't the 23b a rounded roof?
On mine, and I assume the 19h, there are two cross beams that go directly under the a/c to support it, which has spread out weight. Otherwise the cross beams are fairly far apart. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but with an aging roof, I wouldn't take the chance of my 200lbs on a 16 inch square area (1 foot) on one of these flat roofs.
My '06 23B has a flat roof. Yes there are some structural supports in the roof along each side of the A/C, however, if you take two 2x4's laid flat and support them on each end, apply 90+ lbs in the middle they will still flex to some degree. All I can say is MY 23B will support MY weight when I wash the roof and doesn't feel like I'm walking on a trampoline.