Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
Hi we have the F150 too We will be picking up our x23b in May. Spoke to a hitch place and he advised we don't need anti sway or load equalizer. Do you agree?

I would disagree on not needing the anti-sway unless you upgrade the wheel/rim combo that comes on the x23 or stay below 55mph. I don't use one with mine, but it's a handful above 55mph. I partially attribute it to the small skinny tires as my last trailer (same size and weight) towed great without a sway hitch. Just my opinion.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #42

Must have weight distribution hitch and sway controlled !!
Djherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Hi we have the F150 too We will be picking up our x23b in May. Spoke to a hitch place and he advised we don't need anti sway or load equalizer. Do you agree?
I would disagree completely. Even thou the X23B is a lightweight, you're still towing a 5000# sail behind you. My personal belief is that a good WDH and anti sway are required no matter how large the tow vehicle is.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
I would disagree completely. Even thou the X23B is a lightweight, you're still towing a 5000# sail behind you. My personal belief is that a good WDH and anti sway are required no matter how large the tow vehicle is.
X2 you can lead a horse to water BUT!!!
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #45

Thanks My husband is stubborn, but I still have time to convince him on the anti sway at the least
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #46

Quote:
Nope, I've just moved from pulling our x23b from a Touareg to a ram 2500 cummings diesel and I'm still going to be using the WDH and anti-sway. The 2500 manual recommends it on anything over 5,000 and looking at the F150 manual they say 5100. It's close enough to the max weight of the x23b's 4,950# for me.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #47

Here's the danger you can run. It's not how much rear squat you will get. It's how much weight you are taking off the front wheels. Reduced weight on the front wheels = reduced steering control. Most manufactures have a spec for this. With GM the W/D must be adjusted so that the front wheel well lip is back to stock height. I believe Ford allows an inch of difference, but your owners manual will tell you what that spec is.

What ever the case, I would not tow any travel trailer more than a couple of thousand pounds with any 1/2 ton and not use a W/D hitch.

Regarding sway control, it's like car insurance. You don't need it until you need it. There are some folks who will tell they've never used sway control and "never had a problem". I had an incident some years back where I nearly lost my trailer due to sudden and unexpected sway. The rear wheels on my truck hit something slick and the back end slid sideways causing dramatic sway of the trailer. That was the single scariest 10 seconds I've had towing. I wonder what would have happened without the sway control? Your call on whether to use it or not, but what's $100 when you've already spend many thousands?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Here's the danger you can run. It's not how much rear squat you will get. It's how much weight you are taking off the front wheels. Reduced weight on the front wheels = reduced steering control. Most manufactures have a spec for this. With GM the W/D must be adjusted so that the front wheel well lip is back to stock height. I believe Ford allows an inch of difference, but your owners manual will tell you what that spec is.

What ever the case, I would not tow any travel trailer more than a couple of thousand pounds with any 1/2 ton and not use a W/D hitch.

Regarding sway control, it's like car insurance. You don't need it until you need it. There are some folks who will tell they've never used sway control and "never had a problem". I had an incident some years back where I nearly lost my trailer due to sudden and unexpected sway. The rear wheels on my truck hit something slick and the back end slid sideways causing dramatic sway of the trailer. That was the single scariest 10 seconds I've had towing. I wonder what would have happened without the sway control? Your call on whether to use it or not, but what's $100 when you've already spend many thousands?
Well said. You don't need it until you definitely need it!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #49

Quote:
I agree with the crowd suggesting the WDH and anti-sway would be helpful. Our X23B pushed the Expedition around a bit in a cross-wind even with the WDH, without I think it would have been "exciting". Our Expe weight will be similar to the F150.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #50

Get a couple of those 18 wheelers blowing past you with their "suck" draft, combined with the right wind direction and you fall in love with WDH and sway control,not even an option to pull long distance without...JMO
Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #51

Hello all..Just purchased at 2015 x23b and my tow vehicle is a 2014 toyota tacoma trd sport with tow package. I feel that the tacoma and pull this camper alright but just looking for alittle insight..Also purchased a wdh with anti-sway and installed a brake controller...Any info would be great..Thanks
Kyirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #52

Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what questions you may have. You could open a new topic and ask for information or help with something specific.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyirish View Post
Hello all..Just purchased at 2015 x23b and my tow vehicle is a 2014 toyota tacoma trd sport with tow package. I feel that the tacoma and pull this camper alright but just looking for alittle insight..Also purchased a wdh with anti-sway and installed a brake controller...Any info would be great..Thanks
Congratulations! Properly equipped that Tacoma should be fine. Cab configuration, engine size, and different option packages will change your towing capacities and available payload. Everything you need to know is in your owners manual and on the load sticker in your driver side door jamb.

What you really need to watch is the payload. Small trucks and SUV have smaller payloads than their larger counterparts. For example, the X23B has a GVWR of 4950#. If you load it and it weighs 4700#, then your tongue could be 611# if it's 13%. If your available payload is 1300#, subtract 611. That leaves 689# for your family, their stuff, and your dog (usually the driver is already accounted for in available payload). If it's just you and your spouse, you have lots of wiggle room. If you have 2 kids, a dog, and put a lot of stuff in the bed, you can see you'll run out of payload real fast.

Hope that helps! I will add to what Sherm said, best to start a new thread.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #54

Thank you both for the info..Just trying to make myself feel like I did all the research possible before purchasing this camper..lol
Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #55

I think you will be fine. Your 23B is a little heavier than my X20E. Although I'd obviously like a little more power for those uphill climbs, I towed my HTT all over Ontario last summer and never once felt like I was in over my head.
Just take it easy ALWAYS!!!.
Here..go look over at this thread>> 141 Pages of what people pull with their Tacoma's
Show us what you tow. - Page 141 - Tacoma World Forums
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #56

Thanks Dagwood
Old 03-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyirish View Post
Thanks Dagwood
No Problem.

GO take a look at the Tow Mirror thread. If you have stock mirrors, you may want to consider an upgrade,

There is currently a group by going on over at TacomaWorld.com for Custom Tow Mirrors. They are a direct fit for the Tacos and just a couple of simple steps they bolt right on. Here's the local thread which leads to the TW thread if you are interested.

Pics of my Taco with the mirrors: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post278629

Link to where to purchase if interested.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...tml#post278777
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Tunce, I looked at the Touareg. WOW!!

VW is very proud of it and the pricing reflects it!
I got to drive one of these for a month while working in Germany. Its built on the same platform as the Porsche Cayenne, so I guess this could be classified as the "poor persons Porsche".

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
Nope, I've just moved from pulling our x23b from a Touareg to a ram 2500 cummings diesel and I'm still going to be using the WDH and anti-sway. The 2500 manual recommends it on anything over 5,000 and looking at the F150 manual they say 5100. It's close enough to the max weight of the x23b's 4,950# for me.
Is that the empty or max weight of the TT? Add the clothes, food, and other nessesities to the trailer on the day of camping, and that weight will easily reach over the 5000 lb mark.

2007 Ford F150
Old 03-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #60

Quote:
Easy enough to tell how this TT will feel behind your TV; when you venture out on your first short camping trip, you'll know if the anti sway or load equalizer is going to be needed, especially if you plan to go long distances.

When I picked up my TT, I had to drive about 35 miles home, using city streets that led me to the highway. This was a good test to determine if these where going to be needed. In my case, they were not, but my TT is smaller.

I did however move up from a Ford Ranger to an F150.

2007 Ford F150