Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Questions for X23B owners

My wife and I periodically toy with the idea of moving from a 1007 PUP to a hybrid, but only if it was a substantial change in size, like the 20E or 23B, with a slide-out.

We really hate the 1007's U-shaped dinette because it's in front of the front, king-size bed and forces us to climb over to get into bed. That experience gives us a negative vibe on the 20E or 23B. Granted, our U-dinette has a pole with a table top, not an independent table that can be slid out of the way.

That said, since both beds are queens, we figure we'd probably end up in the back. That would leave the guests (expected to be our young daughter and friend or occasionally our older daughters) with crawling over the dinette. So maybe it's not a big deal.

We realize the 23B is a very popular layout. Are we the only ones with this objection?

We see the advance of having the U adjacent to the sofa. With a large group and, say, rain outside, it could be a nice conversation and TV watching setup.

Lastly, is anyone towing a 20E or 23B with anything less than a 1/2t-ton truck, Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia or equivalent? We'd love to stay with a Traverse/Durango/Explorer but are thinking that's not enough TV for a 20E or 23B.

raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
On the U shaped dinette, its personal preference. In fact that's what we wanted. We put the table outside for more room inside, so the dinette becomes a nice easy step into the bed instead of having to pull ourselves up or jump down. Our old Kiwi 17a had the same setup.

You will love the slide. It's small but adds huge amounts of floor space and the couch is very comfortable.

We towed our X20E with a Trailblazer for one summer. It was adequate at best (although that was not the sole reason we replaced it). Not a combination I would have used to tow on long trips or in mountains. Anytime you push the limits of a tow vehicle you'll know it. So a Traverse/Durango/Explorer type SUV can tow these, but you'll be running into your towing limits and not be nearly as happy with a 1/2 ton PU or SUV. Of those you listed the only one that would be in the range of being able to comfortably tow these is the Durango. With the other 2 you'd be right at their limits and probably over on payload. And even the Durango might suffer from a low payload.

You will find tons of people towing the X20E or X23B with similar mid-sized SUVs and tell you "its not a problem". True enough, it won't be a problem, but it is limited. And I believe that most who say this haven't had the pleasure of towing with more margin in their specs. I've towed two different combos over the years at close to capacity. There is a marked improvement when you tow with a proper sized tow vehicle.

The other comment I can make on that is that gas mileage and insurance isn't any more for my Sierra that it was for the Trailblazer. And we like it a whole lot more.

The Sierra in my sig tows the X20E without breaking a sweat. I would not hesitate to tow it on a long trip, in fact we're planning something long for Sept. of 2015.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
If your thinking of going used this is the inside of my 2010 EXP21M and they made this model for 3 years 09-11. The slide will extend 36" and it's level at the floor. The slide has4 windows that give you plenty of light and it has maximum floor space and a big open feeling. The 2010 can be had for around $12,000 and it weighs in at 4700 lbs. I tow it with my 2013 VW Touareg TDI that has a limit of 7,700 lbs. with out the TT I get 33 mpg, with TT flat road 23 and with hills I'll get 19. Absolutely love this car it drives like a dream. I have a GMC for hauling stuff but I'm just not a truck guy for the long hauls so we bought the Touareg .
Attached Thumbnails
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
I bought a 2014 X23B this year and love it. That said, I slept in the front bunk once and I won't do it again. After a night of stepping over someone sleeping on the dinette so that I could get to the bathroom, I made a new rule. The rear bunk is mine and nobody else can sleep there! The rear bunk is perfect. It gives just enough of an escape for the woman and I to get away from the chaos of the kids up front. And, as a person who gets frequent migraines I need that little bit of privacy when I need to lie down. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the X23B. I love the space that the dinette offers and the couch is very comfortable. The kids actually fight over who gets to sleep on it! Another thing I like is that you can see the TV from anywhere up front. The trailer has a very smartly designed floor plan that doesn't waste any space. And, it has a lot of storage for a hybrid. As for the tow vehicle, I have an F150 Ecoboost so I can't say how it would tow with a smaller vehicle. I will say that I am new to towing a trailer, and I definitely know that it's back there! Good luck!
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
We love our 23b, the space, we love the u shape dinnette sit around it play games we pull it with a 2000 ford f150 w/ 4.2 v6, it will tow up to 65 mph no prob ,we stay away from alot of big hills but in texas there is plenty to camp with no hills so no prob
2000 FORD F-150 V-6/4.2
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
We love our new X23B and tow it with our RAM 1500 Quad Cab. We have the 3.6L Pentastar V6 with the 8 speed trans, and it has towed the 23B very well on both the flats and in the Vermont mountains.

We sleep on the back bunk. My wife goes to sleep a little earlier than me, and that allows me to keep the lights on without disturbing her. Likewise, she is up earlier than me so she doesn't disturb me at all when she is up in the morning.

Overall, we like the U-shaped dinette and how it allows us the option of turning it into a long bed when we decide to turtle. We may choose to turtle at a rest stop, Walmart, cold temps, etc. It is nice to know we have access to a human sized bed while turtled if we need it. We also like the fact that the table is removable, so it clears up that space in case we need the room.

Overall, we are extremely happy with the X23B and we intend to keep this trailer a long time.

2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
2015 Jayco X23B
Allamuchy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
I moved from a similar popup to a 2012 x20e. For the first year and a half I used a 2008 Sequoia as TV. It did a good job and I regularly ventured into the Adirondacks and Catskills so hills were no issue. Moved to a Tundra last fall and now barely know the trailer is back there. I did know w the Sequoia but not is a bad way.

I too claim the back bunk and put the kids up front. The large dining table was a must for me. Have 5 daughters plus friends. Typically camp with at least 4 girls. The table size if great. I have never heard a complaint from any of them about the climb.
Dan in NY

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Tunce, I looked at the Touareg. WOW!!

VW is very proud of it and the pricing reflects it!
2013 Jayco Jay Feather X23B
2014 Ford Expedition
Horst Miracle Probes
Barker Power Jack
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
We have a 23B and love it. We sleep up front. We turn the table sideways and usually it is in front of half of the jsofa. It is great extra counter for prepping meals, playing games and so forth. I could not imagine the DW and myself sleeping in back. I would think it would be difficult to get in and out without disturbing the other.

We tow with a Dakota 4.6L V8 4x4. Tows like a dream, been out west in the big mountain passes with no issues all.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Tunce, I looked at the Touareg. WOW!!

VW is very proud of it and the pricing reflects it!
Bought it on internet sales and got 5 bids from dealers within 300 miles and bought the TDI Sport for $43,500 + tax and tags.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote