Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Real-world loaded tongue weight for X23F?

Hello everyone! I will soon be ordering my 2018 Jayco X23F, which means it's also time to order the WDH and whatnot.

What's a real-world, ready-to-travel tongue weight for the X23F? Other info (hitch type, # batteries, with/without water) also welcomed.

Thank you!
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Mine was high. The 10% rule was way off. I was pushing 15%. I don't have the scale ticket with me but I think it was 700#+ on a total weight of 5000#. The problem is most all the sizeable storage is in the front. And i could feel it towing the first trip. Now I put all the gear I can in the bathroom and put what I can in the midship cabinets, and the case of water bottles etc in the way back to offset. I haven't been back to the scale but it tows much better now.

I have an Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch...probably over kill for a 5000lb trailer but I lean way conservative on towing. I tow with a 2015 Expedition with a family of 5-6 and a large dog so Gross Combined Weight is always a concern too.

1 battery, 2- 20lb lb tanks, and a spare tire under the hitch. I have considered moving the spare to the rear bumper but have not done that yet.

Realize your post is a few months old now, I think mine took 2-3 months to arrive so you probably don't have it yet, but if you do, what has your experience been so far ?

Bob
bdcjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcjax View Post
Realize your post is a few months old now, I think mine took 2-3 months to arrive so you probably don't have it yet, but if you do, what has your experience been so far ?
Thanks Bob! That is great information. We haven't ordered yet, but we are hoping to later this year.

From your numbers, tongue weight will be a concern for my 2006 Yukon XL too. I like your idea of relocating the spare tire. It's a shame we don't see batteries located at/behind the axles, huh?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Good luck. I have my scale tickets in "the notebook" at home I'll try to remember to grab it. Probably should hit then scale again, but I moved all I could and I know there's no risk of going below the 10%....not with the 4 inches my bumper drops.... so haven't been overly concerned. Hitting an extremely remote campsite for a week next month where we need to bring in everything we need...probably hit the truck scales again before taking everyone up into the mountains to be safe or risk throwing Lucy's rocks overboard enroute....

2015 Jayco X23F Hybrid
2015 Ford Expedition
Equal-I-Zer 4 Point Sway
bdcjax is offline   Reply With Quote