Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
I think before the TV debate started there was question on resale/trade-in value. :-)

We recently bought a 2014 28DSBH and when I talked trade-in of our 2008 19H, the salesman brought out a "black book", which is used for wholesale values. Remember that the dealer has to sell it, so they would expect to pay wholesale.

The wholesale value was $5500, so he highly recommended that we sell privately and ask a reasonable price. We ended up selling it for $10,500 on Kijijii in about 3 days.

My advice: sell it privately and don't try to get all your money back that you paid when you bought it new ;-)

Think of the new trailer that you'll be getting!

Derek
I think we might go the Kijiji route too.

See my issue is that they won't have to do anything really to sell it, so I can see a few thousand reduction. I've only used it 4 times and I've added some upgrades. I thought about it and they already made a profit off me for the initial purchase and now as I see it they will be making a profit off the same unit again and will also be making a profit on the new TT. So I just want to make sure they keep that in mind and not be greedy and sharpen their pencils a wee bit more. They did tell me if I sell it privately I can put the deal through their books to save on the taxes for the new TT.

Trust me though, I do have my eye on the prize! haha
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
I think we might go the Kijiji route too.

See my issue is that they won't have to do anything really to sell it, so I can see a few thousand reduction. I've only used it 4 times and I've added some upgrades. I thought about it and they already made a profit off me for the initial purchase and now as I see it they will be making a profit off the same unit again and will also be making a profit on the new TT. So I just want to make sure they keep that in mind and not be greedy and sharpen their pencils a wee bit more. They did tell me if I sell it privately I can put the deal through their books to save on the taxes for the new TT.

Trust me though, I do have my eye on the prize! haha
Notice that you are from Ontario (I am from Manitoba). Assuming the PST rebate is similar, it has nothing to do with the dealer. It has to do with the fact that you are buying and selling a vehicle (RV) within NN months. You apply for this on your own, as you'll need the bill of sales from the new trailer and from the sale of yours. You should get 8% (PST) of the sale price of your trailer as a rebate. It was over $800 for us!

Good luck!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #23

When we called back the dealer we bought our first camper from to ask about trading it in they took the info and said they would call back and never did. Did not call them back as assumed they did not want to make another sale. We visited another dealer and and also left. They were to busy to help us and they took our info and never called back. Then we found the Jayco line and visited a dealer to look at the 29 RLDS and liked the 33 RLDS even more. Our Forest River 21SS was worth less than we owed looking at used ones online but they paid it off and gave a little extra towards the new one. We perhaps didn't get such a great deal on the new one but for us it was worth it to get out of the Hybrid we hated and leave with a camper we love..Especially considering the others didn't even call back !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboyd View Post
Thinking long term and future forward? Three words: Full size truck.
A Suburban/Yukon XL is not at all like your average mid-size SUV. Its a full size truck and shares much of the same drive train as the Silverado/Sierras have. Yes, its does have a lower capacity because its an SUV, but if you compare a 2012 Silverado and 2012 Suburban with the same drive train, the 'Burb will only be about 500 lower in capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboyd View Post
Also. I'm in the same boat as you. Sort of. We own an SUV and bought a X23B because of two capacity. It only took a couple of hauls to have us decide that we need to upgrade our TV. We are now shopping for a truck.

The wife is like: Great, we could've bought a bigger trailer.

I'm like: Why? This one is fine.
What SUV? Like I said, there is a big difference between a 'Burb and most other SUVs, except the Ford Expedition and Excursion. Those are also full size trucks.

I'm with you on keeping the current trailer! We bought small in '03 and kept it for 10 years even though I ended up getting a bigger TV!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #25

This lowball trade-in offer is the reason I now have a 2012 17Z.

My buddy bought a new 2012 17z at the beginning of 2012 season for ~$14,000. He used it for (2) Summers.

This Spring they ordered a new 29ft TT. The same dealer offered him $7,000 for trade-in on the 2yr old 17Z.(50% hit in 2 seasons) He didn't want to mess with selling it on Craigslist or whatever. He told me he'd sell it to me for trade-in value they offered him. He said he'd rather see me with it and get some family use out of it, instead of having the dealer mark it up again, and make more money.

So, after a month or two of talking it over with DW, we sold our 14yo pop-up, and bought the 2012 17z from him. And I could not be happier with it.
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_shoe99 View Post
This lowball trade-in offer is the reason I now have a 2012 17Z.

My buddy bought a new 2012 17z at the beginning of 2012 season for ~$14,000. He used it for (2) Summers.

This Spring they ordered a new 29ft TT. The same dealer offered him $7,000 for trade-in on the 2yr old 17Z.(50% hit in 2 seasons) He didn't want to mess with selling it on Craigslist or whatever. He told me he'd sell it to me for trade-in value they offered him. He said he'd rather see me with it and get some family use out of it, instead of having the dealer mark it up again, and make more money.

So, after a month or two of talking it over with DW, we sold our 14yo pop-up, and bought the 2012 17z from him. And I could not be happier with it.
honestly I would do the same as what your buddy did. I know everyone has to make some money but profiting quite heavily twice on the same TT is a little much for me. Again, if the mark down wasn't too bad...it would be an easier pill to swallow. I should get some "loyalty" brownie points...as it stands right now, I could go to another dealership and get the same deal...ACTUALLY one offered me almost $1500 more for the X17Z.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #27

We got $10000 on our 2010 on a trade in this year
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #28

we traded in our 2011 X17Z and got $8,900 for it two months after we paid $10,000 for it. Traded it in at the same dealer we bought it from and the same dealer we bought our 2015 X23F from. It's the price we paid for being short sighted I suppose.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #29

IMO what someone gets for a trade-in is meaningless unless you know what model and how much was paid for the new unit. I've seen it several times that someone is so focused on getting out of one vehicle/RV that they focus entirely on that and don't get the best price possible on the new one.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #30

A dealer is always going to low ball an offer on a trade. It's just like an automobile. They have to "sit on" the used item for days, perhaps weeks before it sells again. They are in the business to make money.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote