Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #1

Rear Blinker

Hi! Can anyone tell me what might be the cause of left blinker NOT blinking on our Jay Feather? We just picked it up from where it has been stored and plan to leave for a camping trip tomorrow and discovered that the blinker doesn't blink. The brake light works, but it doesn't blink. We replaced the bulb, no luck. I read through the manual and can't find anything about where a blinker fuse might be. Thanks!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #2

Several issues can cause this. Most common would be bad ground, but since you say you have brake lights, then I would go to the plug in and see if you have a corroded/dirty connection either on the trailer or at the vehicle.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

First thing I thought of was a bad ground. But if the brake light works, that's not the issue. Do you have a multimeter, if so it would help to locate the issue.

I would start by making sure you have a good contact at the 7pin connector. Might have corrosion or debris in it. If you have no power to the connector check your tv fuses. I found out the expensive way, that you have a separate fuses for the 7 pin connector. On my tv, they are under the hood, in the aux fuse box. If you have power to the 7 pin connector, follow the tt wire harness, depending on you tt it will go ether to a metal jbox on the frame or go through the floor of the tt. At that point check each wire nut. You may have a loose wire connection.

I'm not good at posting images from my phone. You can Google 7 pin wire harness, to see what color wire and which spot is thefor the turn signal in question.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps702153a8.jpg

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Is it a single or dual filament bulb?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just make a jumper wire. Stick one end in the Batt.+ from the 7 pole trailer plug you can test your trailer wiring (with the help of plug diagram mentioned). Caution don't stick it in the ground slot! When TT is OK problem is at the TV side. Probably blown fuse.

As mentioned a ground problem is very common.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Does the left signal flash on the truck, but not on the trailer? If there's a signal bulb out on the TV, the TT won't flash, either. Just a thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

Thank you SO much for all the information. I LOVE this forum! My husband has set out to figure things out now that you all have been so helpful, he at least has a clue what to check. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Yes the blinker works on the truck..I SO appreciate all the help. He is trying to figure it out now. So many helpful responses! Thank you thank you!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Yes the blinker works on the truck..I SO appreciate all the help. He is trying to figure it out now. So many helpful responses! Thank you thank you!
So the problem is on the trailer side. Sounds stupid but, make sure it's the correct bulb. I'm not really sure, because I'm not near my trailer, but if the rear lamps on these units use a dual filament..it won't blink with a single filament bulb.

Just reachin' here...
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Thanks, I did pull the bulb and could see it was dual filament and neither looked burned, but we got the exact bulb to replace it with just in case it was burned out. I actually thought for sure that would fix it.
Anyway now he's checking some fuses on the truck etc. Fingers crossed...
Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
There Is a relay on the truck, to isolate the tv blinkers and the 7 pin connector,so the tv blinkers can work, but of the fuse between the tv and the 7 pin connector is blown you have no power to the connector. I found this oit after jack knifing a utility trailer during an ice storm. I could not find the issue, brought the tv to the dealer. $150 repair to replace a fuse. Luckily I was able to put it to my insurance claim.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

This doesn't make sense at all... Is the brake light on the tt bright like the right side, or is it dim?

All the blinkers work on the truck, correct: front, rear, possibly a side blinker in the front or rear? Check your owners manual to see what bulbs are listed. Per your sig I see you have a GMC HD, but no idea of the year. Though GM started the additional fuses under the hood for the trailer wiring in '99 if I recall correctly. As mentioned, there are fuses under the hood in the fuse panel.

If the brake light is nice and bright like the right side: What doesn't make sense on the tt side is that the brake light works. The turn signal and brake light are the same wire on the trailer side, and at the plug on the tv side. Based on that it has to be on the tv side.... WHY, I am not sure, but I don't see how it could be the tt side.

If it is dim, then it sounds like there is a ground issue on the tt side, and the brake light works from a "back feed". Some may have seen this when one turn signal is on, and the other actually blinks very dimly as well on a trailer.

Hope you get it figured out quickly!!! Keep us posted what was wrong.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #13

Blinker issues

Here is the latest update. My husband (and his more mechanically minded friend )have figured out that the issue is with the truck. Can't remember if they said fuse or wiring, but they have fixed (temporarily) with some wiring ...ummm hocus pocus? It works fine but when we are back from this trip the truck will have to go in to the dealer to have it fixed. Someone in one of these posts pretty much said that this could be what was going on. I truly appreciate all the help and am happy to report that we will roll out for Point Reyes National Seashore (Olema Campground) early tomorrow. YAY! (Oh and it is a fairly new truck, 2014 I think) Thank you all again!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #14

Have a safe and fun trip!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #15

Hope you have a safe trip!

I would guess its a loose wire somewhere around the 7 pin connector in your truck. If your husband doesn't have one, a multimeter is invaluable! I had to rewire everything on my TV thanks to the previous owner having a very shady install (thanks U-Haul!) and without the multimeter i would have been in a world of frustration.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote