Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Refrigerator froze everything!

We finally had our very first trip in the trailer! What fun! Drove it to Big Sur River Campground (about a 5 hour drive) and everything was great. THEN, in the morning when we opened up the fridge we discovered that everything was frozen! (Not just all the beer bottles, but even the vegetables, half and half, etc. I had set it to "coldest" but after that I turned it all the way down. Took everything out to let it defrost, put it back in that evening and it was frozen again the next morning, even on the least cold setting. Has anyone had this happen? I don't wan't to drag it back to dealer, and leave it there. We have another trip next weekend, and many more after that. I realize I could just turn it on and off while we are out camping, but really, I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new trailer. Any suggestions?
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

Are you running your fridge on gas or electric? I know that our fridge gets much colder when running it on gas. I found out that if one drinks beer a little faster the fridge will not freeze everything due to the door being opened more often. Or at least that is the reason I give my wife.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

We run ours one setting from the warmest and it stays just above freezing (34-36). That is on auto so propane when in route and electric when plugged in at the campground to electric.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Thanks HighLife! I can definitely try drinking the beers faster! I guess we'll test it out again next weekend and hopefully if I start with it at warmest setting it will behave. maybe it needs a re-boot...
Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Thanks SouthCo, I was wondering how that works. So if it is set on auto, once plugged in it doesn't use propane? Good to know! Newbies, learning...
Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Thanks SouthCo, I was wondering how that works. So if it is set on auto, once plugged in it doesn't use propane? Good to know! Newbies, learning...

No sweat, we are newbies too but have one weekend camping under our belt (not including playing around the house). But yes, set it to auto and it switches automatically. Electric if your plugged in and propane when your not....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

A couple of thoughts to pass along:
At initial glance, I found the temp control on my fridge a bit confusing. IIRC it was labeled high/low instead of warmer/colder. So the first couple times when I wanted it a bit warmer, I instead made it colder.

The other thing I'd suggest is some sort of thermometer that will allow you to see what the temp is inside the refrigerator without have to open the door all the time to check. It will allow you to adjust the temp before everything freezes. This what I bought. Its not fancy, but it works and does the job.
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 AM   #8

You can also try one of those 12v fridge fans that circulate the air inside the fridge. I had a problem with items near the coil freezing and the fan helped to even out the temps from top to bottom.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
The other thing I'd suggest is some sort of thermometer that will allow you to see what the temp is inside the refrigerator without have to open the door all the time to check.
X2.... I started using a thermometer this season and found I was keeping the temperature dial colder than I needed to
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
No sweat, we are newbies too but have one weekend camping under our belt (not including playing around the house). But yes, set it to auto and it switches automatically. Electric if your plugged in and propane when your not....
Just be sure you check to make sure the gas burner for the fridge has fired properly. Our first trip out, there was air in our propane line, and after the programmed 5 attempts to light, it defaulted and needed to be reset. (We always leave the switch set to auto by default.) We unplugged the trailer last just before pulling away assuming the fridge would fire properly, and when DW popped into the trailer for a potty break 3 hours later, she noted the fridge was blinking. After some research and playing with it, we discovered what happened. Now DW stands in front of the fridge until its operation on propane can be verified before she locks up and we take off. If you listen carefully, you can hear it running, and now I check it by turning my ear by the outside vent when I do my walk-around at rest stops.

If it doesn't light right away, try running the stove for a minute or two, then turn the fridge switch to "off", then back to "auto" or "gas". Listen carefully for the burner, after a few minutes if there are no flashing lights on the fridge, you should be good to go.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Also check the thermistor (little wire attached to the fins inside) and make sure it is attached to a fin and is not pushed all the way to the top,
Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for all the input. Next trip is this weekend and I hope to have a little fan by then to circulate air. I will update. I'd sure like to post photos but I can't get them to show.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #13

Ok thank you Grumpy! I will check that, too!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #14

with the thermistor unplugged. remove the thermistor from the fins in the fridge. place it in a glass of ice water for a few minutes. while it is in there, use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the thermistor. should be about 30,000 ohms. 30kohm.
if it is way off this number, then the thermistor is bad. if it is close to this, then the control board is the most likely culprit.
http://norcoldparts.com/norcold-n600...eatured&page=2
jlkforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
You can also try one of those 12v fridge fans that circulate the air inside the fridge. I had a problem with items near the coil freezing and the fan helped to even out the temps from top to bottom.
Where did you get your fan(model #) and where did you wire it for power?

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Where did you get your fan(model #) and where did you wire it for power?
If your fridge has an interior light, you can connect it using a spade connector without having to splice wires. I got mine on e-bay for less than $15 with free shipping.

Here's a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...ht_9450wt_1136
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
If your fridge has an interior light, you can connect it using a spade connector without having to splice wires. I got mine on e-bay for less than $15 with free shipping.

Here's a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...ht_9450wt_1136
Thanks....placing order now!!!

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #18

So, what we've discovered is that as long as we completely turn the fridge off during the day and then let it run overnight (at the lowest setting), the fridge items won't freeze and yet the freezer keeps everything solidly frozen. Saving extra battery and propane this way, and no fan needed!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
So, what we've discovered is that as long as we completely turn the fridge off during the day and then let it run overnight (at the lowest setting), the fridge items won't freeze and yet the freezer keeps everything solidly frozen. Saving extra battery and propane this way, and no fan needed!
Something still isn't right though. We leave our fridge on all day and night and we never have any problems with food freezing. I'd take it in to the dealer and have them check it out.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #20

I will...once camping season is over. Long drive to the dealer, and I can't part with it! For now, it gets the job done.