Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

Refrigerator won't work

Our new in June Jay Feather 7 was used 2 weeks ago on a 4 day trip and the refrigerator worked great. It cooled down before leaving on propane and switched to electric when we were at the camp site. It remained cool on the way home on propane.
Planning on leaving tomorrow on a 3 week trip, I turned on the frig on propane to precooked. The pilot lights but the frig won't cool down. It has been on propane for 6 hours and is just as warm now as when I first turned it on.
Does anyone have any ideas?
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #2

Hows the freezer? Fridge could take awhile, possibly overnight.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Is the main burner working or just the pilot light?

If the main burner is working flat out it should cool unless the coolant has leaked out.

Could be that the pilot is working but the burner is not coming on due to some failure in the controls.

In mine, the pilot came on but went out when the main burner tried to come on. I cleaned the pilot area, blew out the dust and it worked.

It takes up to 24 hours to cool down all the way in warm weather. A little less in cooler weather.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Just the pilot light is working. I did check the 2 fuses on the circuit board last night and they were fine. I plugged it in to house current but forced it to propane. There doesn't seem to be any attempt to light the main burner and the pilot light stays lite. Temperature in the whole frig is 84 after 20 hours.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

Pilot light?
What model of refrig do you have? I thought all relatively new refrigerators now used an igniter rather than a pilot light. Are you sure what you are seeing is not the actual heat source flame?
As said earlier, these refrigerators are just a chemical process, as long as they have heat, they should cool. In fact just last week we had a friend whose refrig would not light (spark). I just connected 12VDC to the propane valve and lit the burner, it cooled just fine. We just connected/disconnected the battery to maintain temp over the weekend.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

X2 on Pilot light?!?

Has the fridge been operated out-of-level (especially accidentally)?

Did you notice a particularly acrid odor?

If "yes" to either of those, things may get expensive.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

You got 12v?
The fridge needs propane and 12 volts to work.
Maybe make sure your battery is charged and your breaker for your 12v is on??

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming that the refrigerator LP is functioning properly (should hear the flame at the exterior access panel), confirm that the temperature control sensor (thermistor) didn't get knocked off the aluminum cooling fins inside the fridge. There is a clip that holds it in place.

Also, the cooling process brings the freezer compartment down to temperature first, then the lower compartment follows. I find placing a couple bags of ice in the freezer it cools down faster, and once at operating temperature with the freezer maintaining 75% capacity or more the entire refrigerator runs more efficiently.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

Also, if your main burner looks like a pilot light, (there is no pilot on these fridges except on the smallest pup fridges, and they must be lit manually, so you would know if you had one), then check your propane flow.

How full is the tank? Do your stove burners light at full burner volume? If no, check the tank level and the tank valve. Close the valve, and then reopen slowly.

If you have good stove action, check the propane lines at the fridge. Is there any blockage (spider nests) or kinks in the lines?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Don't expect it to sound like water heater when on gas. Even when on the flame is not big/ noisy.

Sounds like electrical. Have you checked DC and connections on the fridge board.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

Mine wont start on propane unless I lite the stove first. Maybe it pressurizes lines!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

I really am embarrassed to admit I solved the problem by moving the trailer off of the driveway. Driveway isn't level but the street is. We took off on our 3 week trip with 2 coolers filled with ice and food figuring we had roughed it before this trailer. Yes, we are newbies with a trailer that has a water heater, built in toilet, full fridge. Had a pop up before.
As we were packing Wednesday morning, I dug out the user manual and discovered one sentence in "troubling shooting" that said that the refrigerator would not work if it was not level.
When we stopped for lunch I checked the fridge and found it had gone down from 84 to 44 degrees in 4 hours.
Adding that to my list of things the dealer would have told us when we picked up the trailer.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcave View Post
I really am embarrassed to admit I solved the problem by moving the trailer off of the driveway. Driveway isn't level but the street is. We took off on our 3 week trip with 2 coolers filled with ice and food figuring we had roughed it before this trailer. Yes, we are newbies with a trailer that has a water heater, built in toilet, full fridge. Had a pop up before.
As we were packing Wednesday morning, I dug out the user manual and discovered one sentence in "troubling shooting" that said that the refrigerator would not work if it was not level.
When we stopped for lunch I checked the fridge and found it had gone down from 84 to 44 degrees in 4 hours.
Adding that to my list of things the dealer would have told us when we picked up the trailer.
Keep in mind that if you keep running the fridge when it is not level it will eventually ruin the cooling system.