Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Question Removing Fuses on Converter

So recently we have been experiencing an issue of leaving camp with a dead battery after being hooked up all weekend to shore power.

After reading post after post, I have come to the conclusion that I should start with the fuses. Presently, all of the easily accessible ones are fine. However, the 2 fuses located on the converter are located in a small cubby area above our breaker/fuse panels...

I attempted to pull the fuses out to see if they were blown but they would not pop out! I attempted to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pop them out to no avail...

Suggestions? Aside from cutting a better access panel into the cubby (which I have seen as a really great mod- just not ready for that yet)

Thanks.
weeper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

Hey Weeper123 - first of all - Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. If you have a second, come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

A couple of questions -- if the battery is charged and you unhook from shore power, does it cut off right away? Your best bet is usually unhooking and start at the battery and work your way to the converter. Using a multimeter, check the fuse at the battery. If you look at the fuse, usually they have a small tab that lets you check it without pulling it. Put the multimeter on each side, if you have +12 on one side, but not the other - you have found it. Next I would check the fuses in the converter (again without removing them). If you have no power to either side of the fuse, back up to where the +12 comes in from the battery. If you have no power on this wire - then you have a problem somewhere in between.

Let us know what you find!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Might be a fuse near the battery that is bad. I have found a 30 amp fuse there that might be blown. Good Troubleshooting idea above but just remember that WHITE IS GROUND in the RV world.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #4

If it's like my convertor they have small screws holding them in...really fooled me for a bit till I found this out...why..I have no idea!