Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Replaced converter and Battery still not charging

I have a 2009 23B. While camping the converter went out. Thanks to another thread, y'all helped me id the problem. I bought a new battery. I replaced the converter, and thought everything was ok. I went to winterize my tt and noticed the battery was almost dead by viewing the monitor panel. I turned on the outside light, then turned it off. Went to turn on the inside lights and nothing. I then checked the monitor panel and nothing. No indicator lights came on when I pushed the buttons. So I checked the fuses, and all look good. Plugged the shore line in and to my car and there is still no power to the panel.

Any thoughts? I have a voltage meter, but am still learning how to use it. What else should I check?

I live in south GA and have not come close to freezing, but this weekend we have a low of 28 coming. I need to get the power working so I can get the water pump working so I can winterize the thing.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #2

1) Check all connections, battery, chassis ground wire, any screw terminals inside the convertor box. Clean and tighten any you find. Especially the chassis ground wire.
2) Measure the amps being drawn from the battery. You bought a clamp on DC meter right? If not, do yourself a favor and go get one.
3) Plug into shore power and then verify that you have power to your outlets.
4) While still plugged into shore power measure the voltage output of the convertor.
5) While still plugged into shore power measure the voltage at the battery. Should be almost the same as at the convertor.

A couple of things to be aware of.
1) All trailers have a parasitic draw unless the battery is disconnected. It will discharge the battery in a couple of weeks.
2) Make sure some light is not left on, like inside a passthrough or something.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.
1. I will check the wiring and connections in the morning.
2.I did not get a clamp on meter, why is that so useful? I got a middle of the road hand held Klein form HD.
3. There is power to the outlets, including the outlet the converter plugged into.
4. How do I measure the out put from the converter? Do I disconnect the white and black wires, then touch the multi meter prongs to those connectors? Do I have to disconnect or can I just touch to the screws? And is this measured by DC?
5. Measure the battery with it connected, right? What about measuring the output from the battery connectors?

I pulled the battery off and put it on a trickle charger. It is still charging. I did test it when it was hooked to the tt, and it read 11.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchdawgs View Post
snip...
I pulled the battery off and put it on a trickle charger. It is still charging. I did test it when it was hooked to the tt, and it read 11.
If you had the TT connected to power, the converter connected to the battery, and the converter turned on when you tested and found 11v, you were not charging your battery. It should have read ~13.6v to 13.9v (all lights, fans, etc. turned off).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

Do these 23b trailers have a battery disconnect switch?

If so and it's OFF you'll read battery volts across the terminals and it's not charging.

If so when you turn it on you should see an immediate jump to 13.6 volts across the battery.

Know lotsa folks who forget to disconnect the battery and it drains pretty quick. Including me.
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Site Team

I believe you nave a 30Amp inline fuse near the batteries. Pull the fuse and see if the inside of the fuse case is corroded. Clean out the fuse case if needed. Double check the fuse with the meter to see if it is good. In either case I would recommend replacing the 30 amp fuse with a new one and pick up a few extras.

With the TT's battery charge controller on and the 30Amp main inline fuse out of the holder, Put the positive meter probe in the end of the inline fuse case that goes toward the TT and touch the black probe to GROUND. Write down the voltage you are getting from the TT's Battery Charge Controller. Next take the POSITIVE meter probe into the end of the 30Amp inline fuse case on the side that goes to the battery(s), and touch the black meter probe to Ground. Write down the voltage. Before you replace the fuse, take the voltage across the positive and negative terminals on the batteries. Write that down. Finally (bet you never thought I would get to this point) insert the fuse (I would recommend installing a new 30Amp fuse) and take another voltage reading across the batteries.

This will let us know how the circuit is between the batteries and the TT's Battery Charge Controller.

... also there are 2 fuses in the Charge Controller that protect the unit in case the battery was hooked up backwards, check those with a meter.

Let us know all the voltages.

Don

You may want to make life a little easier by picking up a Digital Voltage Display from Amazon. There are a lot of them to choose from. Here are a couple favorites... The LED display that came with the TT is useless for any of the functions that it is Supposed to perform.
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg   BATTERY - AMP-Voltge Digital Display - AMAZON Picture.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Yup, check the 30A fuse. It was near the bat box on the tongue.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchdawgs View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
1. I will check the wiring and connections in the morning.
2.I did not get a clamp on meter, why is that so useful? I got a middle of the road hand held Klein form HD.
Clamp on DC meters allow you to measure the fairly high current drawn/supplied to your batteries without opening the circuit or installing a shunt. I have this one and it works well
http://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-UT210E-C...DC+Clamp+Meter

3. There is power to the outlets, including the outlet the converter plugged into.
4. How do I measure the out put from the converter? Do I disconnect the white and black wires, then touch the multi meter prongs to those connectors? Do I have to disconnect or can I just touch to the screws? And is this measured by DC?
You can just touch the screw heads. If you are plugged in and the converter is working correctly you should see something in the order of 13.2 - 14V, maybe more. Then do the same thing at the battery posts, if you do not get the same(or similar) reading then you have a bad connection/fuse between the converter and the battery.
5. Measure the battery with it connected, right? What about measuring the output from the battery connectors?

11V is a dead battery. Was the trailer sitting unplugged for a a few weeks?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #9

Sorry guys for the delayed response, I had to go out of town for work and we have had a lot of rain after a 2 month drought. I checked the 30 amp inline fuse. It has not blown, but there was a lot of corrosion, and what looks like the plastic/rubber melted around the connectors. I'm thinking I need to replace that inline fuse holder/wire. Thoughts? Any tips for replacing this? I am going to check the rest of the wiring in the morning.

In the mean time, I was able to use a trickle charger to get the battery fully charged. Thanks for the help! I will report what I find.