Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Reservation RV Type for Hybrids

Just a quick question for you seasoned campers. When you folks book your RV sites and there is not an option for Hybrid under the RV type, do you select Travel Trailer or Tent?

Thanks!
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have a hybrid but I would check it as a travel trailer.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
I don't have a hybrid but I would check it as a travel trailer.
X-2, it is actually considered a TT.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Team

TT or you'll get site that only a tent could be put on

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

I reserved as a Travel Trailer with my X19H. It is more Travel Trailer than Tent Camper.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

+1 for TT
Old 01-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #7

I always call my 2001 23b Kiwi hybrid a travel trailer when making reservations. When they ask for the length I tell them, or list 23 feet, but add that it is about 28 feet with the tent ends out. (It is actually less.) Informing them of that has never created a problem. I tell them anyway just in case the site may be on the tiny side.

I'm told that some campgrounds refuse reservations to hybrid tent type travel trailers and RV's. I haven't had any problem with that, but we don't look for high end camping. We just want someplace that is adequate for our lifestyle.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Definitely a TT, and I would list the total length opened. They put site limits for a reason and you don't want to find out you reserved a site you can't use.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

You never want to check "tent" as you could end up with something that you have to carry your stuff to a tent pad. Always TT. Listing your unit at its full opened length could limit site availability. During busy seasons, the shorter trailer sites tend to be the ones available for late reservations. The length listed will accommodate a larger hybrid as there is always overhang behind where you actually park the trailer.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You never want to check "tent" as you could end up with something that you have to carry your stuff to a tent pad. Always TT. Listing your unit at its full opened length could limit site availability. During busy seasons, the shorter trailer sites tend to be the ones available for late reservations. The length listed will accommodate a larger hybrid as there is always overhang behind where you actually park the trailer.
It will depend on the park, but I have worked at several where there are tree's or bush's at the back end. When we say a 27" will fit, a 28" won't without limiting your vehicle space. We always listed the longest actual RV that would fit in the space. Don't want to get somewhere and find out your RV won't 'fit on the sight you paid for. Same with slide outs, some sights won't take any slide outs on the drivers side of the RV due to trees etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #11

Travel trailer. And when they ask for length give them the length with the beds open.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #12

Thank you everyone for the responses!
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Stand by my statement, but yes some sites are tight. I have been in far more CG's that you have to wonder who did the measurements. When we visit a CG for the first time we scout sites we like for future visits. Have found many listed for shorter Max length that you could park a class A MH. Just saying that the length restrictions tend to be on the ultra conservative side. Good to be accurate, but if its a site you know you will fit on, just give them the ## they want.

You are a trailer not a tent.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #14

Most hybrids I've noticed don't extend past the hitch when tipped out. That means that your only addition to length is the rear tip out, and side tip out for width if you tip out that way. If making a reservation by phone I would also mention side tip outs if you have them.

Some of the older campgrounds do have small trees and bushes which definitely impact the available space. The newer built treeless grid layout cookie cutter campgrounds are generally less of a problem with that.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Stand by my statement, but yes some sites are tight. I have been in far more CG's that you have to wonder who did the measurements. When we visit a CG for the first time we scout sites we like for future visits. Have found many listed for shorter Max length that you could park a class A MH. Just saying that the length restrictions tend to be on the ultra conservative side. Good to be accurate, but if its a site you know you will fit on, just give them the ## they want.

You are a trailer not a tent.
Many years ago I had a favorite campground that I would take the family to. I also had certain sites that I preferred. One of the sites sat deep in the woods and I was able to put a 32 ft TT on that site.

Every time that I would call and make a reservation for that site I was asked for the length of my TT and the reason was that they didn't want anything over 25ft on that site. And the reason for that restriction was due to the road that lead to the site. You had to know exactly how to position yourself or otherwise you would wind up in a deep ditch and need to be pulled out. So when I asked for that site and they asked my length I would tell them to check the records and that I had been on that site many times in the past. I would then get a reply OH your the guy that knows how to put 32 ft on a 25 ft site.

There are many reasons why campgrounds will have a length limit on certain sites. You and I may know what we are doing and know our limitations But its the other guy that has no idea what he is doing and when he gets into problems it generally means problems for others. Imagine being stuck in a ditch and blocking a road when its check in time for many others that are arriving.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

In California, if it has wheels - you need a large enough pad to acommodate both the rig and tow vehicle ~ therefore, select TRAILER. IF you need only a one-car space to park and you are schlepping and erecting something on the dirt ~ select TENT.

A humorous aside ... when camping in Yosemite with our Coleman Tent-Trailer (set-up on the pad next to our truck), we watched all the tent campers set-up in the swales of the various campsites. Of course, an afternoon thunderstorm dumped inches of rain and all their tents and supplies were floating down the swales to the river while the water was only a few inches up our wheels!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #17

Travel trailer we have a x19h and that's what it is
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #18

Travel trailer, most don't even know what you really have until you drop the ends.
Baseball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #19

Do any of you with an 18D or 17XFD have issues with sites and the side bed?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #20

We have a 23F with the slide and a full bed that also folds out of the drivers side, so far we have had few issues but do need to look at a site before backing in. We have gotten a little close to a few trees, power post with the third bed when it's folded out. We had to learn quickly about how much room to leave on the drivers side for the slide out and the third bed. I found a few you tube videos that suggested standing next to the trailer and getting a rough figure on how much space to leave when putting it in tight spaces.

Out other issues is the sewer connect on the 23F is quite low so some time it's helpful to be closer to to sewer hook up which also seems to effect how to park the trailer in the site.