Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 AM   #1

Question Ripples on Front End Siding

Wondering if anyone has noticed some ripples or creases on the top front of their Jay Feather siding?

I have a 2015 x17z and noticed (after purchasing) some ripples/creases on the top of the front end cap where it curves towards the roof. A better description might be like taking a flat piece of cardboard and then bending it to make a curve, but overdoing it, resulting in some sharp ripples instead of a smooth curve.

This does not appear to be a delamination issue. The trailer is essentially brand new and these are not bubbles like delam. There is no water intrusion.

I think this is the result of rushed/poor construction and is likely cosmetic only. I'd like to know if anyone has similar complaints and if Jayco addressed the issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I really appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.png  

Past Rigs:
2012 Jay Flight 28BHS ('12-'15)
2006 Salem 26BH (RIP- Totaled in Yellowstone 7/12)
1995 Jayco Tent Trailer ('05 - '09)
1985 Coleman Tent Trailer ('85 - '05)
stryker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #2

Yes, I have the same thing and if you did a search from maybe 1-1/2 to 2 years ago you'll find that it's really quite common but none of us have a problem related to that issue. When you get up on the roof you'll see where this curved piece of sheet metal is fastened to the roof by means of a metal strip, screws and caulking. When you inspect this caulking (a good twice a year) keep a careful eye on this caulking for any signs of cracking and fix right a way. This is a good leak area because water can pool up all along that upper edge. Some people tilt their trailer slightly to the rear so the water runs off the rear.
If you want to fix this once and for all a few years down the line you can strip off all that caulking and apply a 4" strip of eturnabond tape, just caulk along the edge of the tape and it will never leak again.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

There is no denying that it is poor construction. Will Jayco address a cosmetic problem good luck with that if it is where the front cap meets the roof. Ours was a misshaped front cap and Jayco said it was cosmetic. We went round and round with Jayco and it was not worth the anguish. As Tunce the traveler said you can watch and repair it yourself and move on. Hope everything works out for you.

ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crease, delamination, fiberglass, ripples, siding