Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

Roof Cleaning X23B

Who here cleans the roof of the TT? Do you climb on top or use a ladder and go around as needed on the outside (rather than on top)? What cleaning agent do you use?
Also, I was told by the dealer to tighten the 4 stud bolts on the A/C...where are they located?
Thank you in advance!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

I put the stabilizers down, place an extension ladder up on the rear of the HTT. MAKE SURE TO WRAP the ladder with old towels or something, where it touches the roof. I did not the first time and cut the roof membrane. I climb up and use the car was brush and Dawn dish soap. Nothing more. I check all the caulk while I am at it. I find after about two years you will see degrading in the caulking.

As for the for AC bolts, you will find them inside. Remove the AC cover where the filter is located. As for the bolts just make sure they are snug. When you tighten them you are pulling the foam seal down. Over time you may need to snug it up a bit more. If you snug it up tight you will have to replace the seal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Here's a thread that has more details on the A/C bolts.....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2880
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #4

I climb up on a large step ladder, and I use Spic and Span. It works very well. I rinse with the hose, wash it with spic and span and rinse it again. Twice a year, plus it gives me a chance to to check the caulking, and look for any places where leaks might happen.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

The roof is made to walk on. Not all brands make their roofs to be walked on. I climb up on a ladder and use Oxy Clean in water with a soft scrub brush.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

When you inspect the roof caulk just take your time and look at every inch of it (twice). Your almost sure to find some area that needs a touch up. I think water is the #1 killer of these things. I wash and inspect twice during the camping season.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

I just went to my dealer yesterday to pick up some sealant and roof cleaning supplies. I brought a gallon of Dicor roof cleaner to the counter with my other supplies when I was ready to pay and leave. The parts tech told me the roof cleaner I selected was good stuff, but powdered Tide without bleach worked just as well. It doesn't make the roof slippery to stand on and it rinses clean without leaving residue. She also said that was what they use in the service department. Just work a 3'x3' area at a time in a circular motion with a brush and a little dash of detergent. She did recommend using rubber roof protectant after each cleaning. She said a dollar store sponge mop works good to apply it.

I will be cleaning mine standing on the roof.

Definitely check the a/c bolts. Two of mine were loose when I checked them. I followed the method Jagiven mentioned.
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #8

How sure is everyone that the roof on the hybrids is strong enough to walk on? I don't know that I'd be comfortable doing that because of the lightweight nature of the construction.
Former owner - 2013 Jayco X20E
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #9

I have walked on it numerous times, it does flex. I also am not having any type of dance party up there. When you walk on it you can feel where the ribs are, and I have been known to try to spend my time over them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
How sure is everyone that the roof on the hybrids is strong enough to walk on? I don't know that I'd be comfortable doing that because of the lightweight nature of the construction.
You better get comfortable with it because it's the only way to get a close up view of those tiny little cracks that never show up till it's almost to late. There are many closed off places in your "TT" that you'll never see unless you start taking things apart.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #11

I am going to wash the roof today and I am planning to be walking on it. I walk on the roof every time I ready to close the slide when I am camping. I take a broom and make sure there's no sticks, etc. to mess with the slide out seals.

I am looking for a protectant after the wash...anything?

So, I will ask for a rubber roof protectant.
killerdoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

I am using DICOR Rubber Roof Protectant. I also bought a spray bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant for the sides and decals. The directions say it will protect RV rubber roofs as well. It seems to be very similar to DICOR's protectant now that I have used it a couple of times.
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #13

I clean mine with awesome cleaner then protect it with 303 twice a year.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote