Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Roof sealants

Hi all

While doing some inspection of my roof during a warm spell last week i noticed that underneath my lap sealant there is what appears to be silicone. I think the previous owner didn't know what he was doing and covered the dicor with silicone then when that didn't work laid more dicor.

I am thinking I should probably either remove all of it or lay eternabond down over. My question is how hard is it to remove the sealant as I don't want to damage my roof either

Thanks!!

2001 jayco kiwi 23'
Branmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Its not fun, but its the best solution. Get a plastic putty knife and carefully scrape up as much silicone as you can. Then, if it were me, I would eternabond all 4 edges and never worry about it again!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Like spoon said, use a plastic putty knife then lightly clean with mineral spirits (or EternaBond cleaner). The dicor and silicone might peel right off since they don't want to stick to each other. I worked on a friend's roof last week that had some silicone on it and it just came right off once it got started.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Its not fun, but its the best solution. Get a plastic putty knife and carefully scrape up as much silicone as you can. Then, if it were me, I would eternabond all 4 edges and never worry about it again!!!
Thanks.
Yeah it's not something I'm looking forward to but I have still have a small leak that showed up again and it's the main culprit for me.
It seems as if there are a lot of good reviews with the tape...With that eternabond, do you run one strip down the middle and then overlap each edge? Or two strips butted up together and then one down the seam of that?
I was going to purchase the 4" wide by 50' roll.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

If it was wider than the erernabond I would start from the outside and work in, or the bottom and work up. so, lay the two strips then one overtop the seam. That way the water flows down and will run off the seam instead of hitting the seam and sitting there.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
If it was wider than the erernabond I would start from the outside and work in, or the bottom and work up. so, lay the two strips then one overtop the seam. That way the water flows down and will run off the seam instead of hitting the seam and sitting there.
Better to buy the tape in different widths. I used a 6" strip along the front seam and the breather pipes on mine and 3 or 4' around the skylight and fridge vent. I tried 2 narrow strips on my slide, but it was a pain.

I also ran a bead of the non self leveling sealant along the edges of the tape. When the tape gets hot the grey glue oozes out a bit, an I wanted that covered up so there was no sticky edges.

As a side note the 6" strip was 8 feet wide and was quiet a pain to get on neatly. As soon as it touches it is stuck.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodandmir View Post
Better to buy the tape in different widths. I used a 6" strip along the front seam and the breather pipes on mine and 3 or 4' around the skylight and fridge vent. I tried 2 narrow strips on my slide, but it was a pain.

I also ran a bead of the non self leveling sealant along the edges of the tape. When the tape gets hot the grey glue oozes out a bit, an I wanted that covered up so there was no sticky edges.

As a side note the 6" strip was 8 feet wide and was quiet a pain to get on neatly. As soon as it touches it is stuck.
Great thanks!
If anyone knows of a good place to get it cheap let me know. Local store is around $90 a roll
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

I got mine on Amazon but it "ain't" cheap anywhere.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #9

You can find some good deals on Eternabond on Ebay. Really good deals if you look for black color. Seems to be the color few want. I used black on all my roof seals as it will not be seen from the ground anyway.

2009 Jayco JayFeather x23B
2007 Ford F250 5.4L 4x4 CCSB
sbpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote