Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #1

Sell or trade?

Have any of you sold a hybrid? We are upgrading and want to sell. We posted on several sites and got no serious bites. The trade in value the dealer is offering is less than we owe. We are attempting to sell our 2015 x23b. Any advice?
Hubs, DW, 2 kids 2 camping pups
:campfire:
Sumerbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #2

Sell

1) price it right -- NADA is not right, way to high IMO.
2) have excellent pictures showing a perfect condition/like new trailer. All your personal stuff should be out of it.
3) post on CraigsList and try to find a place to visibile place to park it occasionally.
4) be patient, this isn't the time of the year to sell used trailer, although I was able to following the three steps above sell my 26BH which I listed the Monday after Thanksgiving and Sold by New Years.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #3

It sounds like the unit you are trying to sell is financed. You would most likely need to pay it off before attempting to sell it. I am not sure how many people would be willing to give you money to pay off a loan and wait for a title. You may find someone but I am not sure.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
It sounds like the unit you are trying to sell is financed. You would most likely need to pay it off before attempting to sell it. I am not sure how many people would be willing to give you money to pay off a loan and wait for a title. You may find someone but I am not sure.
my BIL bought a 2015 x23b used that had a loan on it. We want earlier on Saturday morning did the inspection decided he wanted to buy it. Drove to the bank where the loan was and did the exchange right there. He had a check from his bank where he had a loan for it. It was pretty painless. The process was pretty easy. Just call your bank and ask them how the best way to do the transfer should be no big deal but find out from the bank on how to do the transaction. I would call the bank first and find out this way when a potential buyer comes you can walk him through on how transferring ownership would work. This way he/she won't shy away.
Also this is not the best time to sell heading into winter if you live in the northern half of the US and when the kids are in school. I would put it on craigslist in February or a couple of weeks before the RV show if your area has one. Fyi my BIL bought his in February for $18.5k not sure of your asking price just make sure it is priced right. Although it is a little nerve-racking when you own two units that you owe money on.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Your post says you are trying to sell your 2015 x23b
yet your signature shows you have a "2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (for sale/upgrade)"
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

The trailer I bought used had a loan. We created a bill of sale for the trailer and structured it as such that I gave the seller the amount of the outstanding note and took the trailer. Once he delivered me the title I gave him the remaining money.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Last spring we used RV Trader to sell our pup. The ad wasn't expensive and brought fast results. We also posted on Craigslist but only got responses from people asking us if we would accept 25% of our asking price. We were able to sell it ourself and got almost double what the dealer offered as a trade in allowance. Of course it was a 19 year old unit.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #8

You are likely to get more money selling it outright than trading it in. It takes longer and you have to be prepared to deal with hagglers and tire kickers. You also need to think about sales tax implications when trading or selling private.

As stated, fall/winter is the worst time to sell a camper in most places.

Good luck with your sale!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

We decided earlier this year it was time to upgrade so we started looking and 2 separate dealers 100+ miles from each other (both Jayco Dealers) offered us the same Trade In value on our '12 X19H which was loaded with all the options. Since we were waiting until the end of the year to finally upgrade as we would not be able to camp until then I put it up For Sale this summer and we sold it within 6 weeks (This was it... http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...rid-26674.html ) and got $4000 more than the dealers were offering.

While it might seem like a pain I would definitely sell on your own if you can, I posted only on Craigslist and the JOF and it sold through Craigslist. I did not have any bites for 5 weeks then had 4 within days and sold it to the first family that looked at it for what I asking for it. Mine was paid for and the buyer had Cash so that made the deal easier.

Good detail and lots of photos helps a lot in selling, I had never sold anything of that value on my own and it worked out in my benefit in the end. Going in to order our new Camper without having to deal with a Trade In was a nice feeling.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Oops. Typo. 2014 x23b thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #11

look at what others are selling for in the area and price it right. you will sell it on your own and quickly if it is priced right
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

Sell it outright, for way more many than they'll give you for a trade.

The ONLY reason I have my HTT, is because I bought it from a generous friend.
He paid $14k for it new(2012 17Z), and 2 years later, the same dealer offered him only $7k on a trade.
j_shoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #13

I usually trade cars and sell the trailers because the trade in on cars is usually close to what I could get on a private sale with the sales tax savings figured in.

Pricing is key and you should be somewhere in between a dealer pricing for your unit and trade in if you want to unload it. Doing this has yielded quick results for me. If you are going to try and get everything you owe out if it and that is more than or equal to dealer pricing then you will not sell it. I agree NADA is not a great tool, but you should look at it. Your main issue is the year of the unit. At only 2 years old or less it's going to hurt pricing as this usually only settles out after 4-5 years with depreciation being the most in the first few years. Since you know the trade in value already, you know the bottom price.

Get it clean and spotless. Throw in some goodies that might be a bonus to a new buyer and take lots of pictures with details. The more details the better a buyer feels about the unit I think.

Craigslist and Ebay classifieds have yielded the best results for me. The paid listings always seem to be a bust for me. Could be my area though.

As far as title goes, the letter of satisfaction can take up to 10 business days to achieve as the titles are just signed over in NYS. The lien is what you need to clear and agree that not all buyers are willing to work with you on that especially if that buyer is out of state.

Good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Excellent advise from 3'senough-

I'm in the process of trading in my Sunnybrook (no lien) in for a new 38FDDS I have on order. I considered listing it and selling it myself, but I really don't have the time or initiative to sell it on my own. Especially this time of year up in New England. I realize I could have made out better selling it myself, but the trailer is 130 miles from my house and I'm really not interested in running down the Cape every weekend in the winter to appease tire kickers, I'm so busy at work that I really can't deal with it right now, so I decided to just trade it in.
It is what it is.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post

I'm in the process of trading in my Sunnybrook (no lien) in for a new 38FDDS I have on order. I considered listing it and selling it myself, but I really don't have the time or initiative to sell it on my own. Especially this time of year up in New England. I realize I could have made out better selling it myself, but the trailer is 130 miles from my house and I'm really not interested in running down the Cape every weekend in the winter to appease tire kickers, I'm so busy at work that I really can't deal with it right now, so I decided to just trade it in.
It is what it is.
That is basically what we did on our last one. I was not up to the hassle of showing and dealing with the public and wanted to get it over with. Our dealer offered me about $1500. less than I thought I could sell it for and I figured my time was worth that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post

It is what it is.
Jloco, my in-laws have a place in Mashpee. We are considering cross country road tripping. Any suggestions on Cape Rv spots?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #17

Just traded in my X23F

I was considering trying to sell my trailer private party in the spring but decided to take a trip to the dealer instead. They gave me a very good price on the trade in (approximately 1500 less than i could of possibly sold it for private party) and i got a good deal on the unit I purchased. The trade in was financed but I didn't owe a lot on it so it made sense in my particular situation.
I think it all boils down to personal preference, personally i traded in to avoid having to deal with tire kickers, hagglers and such.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerbrez View Post
Jloco, my in-laws have a place in Mashpee. We are considering cross country road tripping. Any suggestions on Cape Rv spots?
Hi Sumerbrez,

Sorry I'm just seeing this. There are a lot of campgrounds on cape cod. Mashpee is located closer to the bridge (mainland) and there are plenty of campgrounds in the Mashpee area.

IMO, the further east you go the better. Camping near the national sea shore (Truro/Wellfleet area) is beautiful! The coastline is pristine in that area. It is also close to Provincetown and many other cool 'old cape' towns.

My seasonal place is called Shady Knoll campground and is located in Brewster which is on the bay side, right at the elbow of the Cape. We love it there. The same family owns another property in Eastham called Atlantic Oaks. This is located within a half mile of the national sea shore.

If you google 'cape cod campgrounds', you'll see a map of where all the campgrounds are located.

I can't wait till summertime!
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #19

Summerbrez,

We traded our X17Z for a new TT last July and got an excellent trade in with none of the bank check "scam" problems that you may run into trying to sell on Craigslist. Also to consider is all of the extra accessories (that came with the purchase of the preowned X17Z) we got to keep for our new TT including the Equalizer WD/AS hitch. In our case that came to over $1000. So we bought the 2012 X17Z used for 11K in 2013 and traded it in last July for 8K plus the 1K+ saved on not replacing the accessories after using the X17Z for almost 20K miles of travel throughout the USA in two summers.
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #20

I have my PUP for sale now on Craig's list. I stated serious Inquiries only. Had no pics up but if they were serious reply and I would email them. 1 week later 3 interests and 1 possible sale,they are waiting to see there tax return. Price it right and there should be no haggling.... stay tuned
geostorm is offline   Reply With Quote