Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #1

short time storage

After our first three short trips we may not be able to go out again for a while (6-7 weeks). Should I drain the hot water heater and disconnect the battery? What else should we do?

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

If it were me....

I would drain the full system...Hot water heater, low points and fresh water (if used)

Disconnect the battery (every time)

Turn off the propane (every time)

Wipe out the fridge - leave the door propped

Leave water in the toilet and traps

Make sure black & gray tanks were drained (add water and treatment to the black tank after draining)
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #3

X2 threebutchers, Be sure to use the little gray slide pins, in the door handles ,on the fridge to " prop" the doors open for airing. Larry
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

X3. Also, if you have a Maxxair vent, crack it open during storage. I also try to really clean the black tank if it will be that long.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

It sounds like we have every thing covered except draining the water heater. Going to spend next weekend giving it a good cleaning and look into a Maxxair or something similar.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
If it were me....

I would drain the full system...Hot water heater, low points and fresh water (if used)

Disconnect the battery (every time)

Turn off the propane (every time)

Wipe out the fridge - leave the door propped

Leave water in the toilet and traps

Make sure black & gray tanks were drained (add water and treatment to the black tank after draining)
I agree on all of the above except I might add this.....as well as adding treatment to the black tank...consider adding it to the grey tank as well. On my last trip my wife noticed an odd smell under the sink. It was then I realized that the grey tank is vented to there! Before I left I added a "natural" black tank treatment to the grey tank.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

All sound advice. Will consider it when we begin to close for the season. Water left in the toilet makes sense. Traps any scents, and they are plenty, coming from the black tank. Left some water in the tank with diluted bleach after draining. Have to get to supply store for natural tank treatment, (whatever that is). One question, is it necessary to disconnect the battery if you have rig plugged in to household circuit? We also have the refer left in the on position. We have TT set up in the backyard, we are new to ownership and are always in and out fiddling with things. Also, have had it set up (no water supply connected) since we used it last a few weeks ago and plan on heading out in a couple of weeks, should we drain the water supply, in particular, the release valves underneath the frame? I was thinking that as long as the tubes are filled with water, less chance of mold building up. Any tips and advice very much appreciated!!
marshvegasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshvegasmike View Post
... One question, is it necessary to disconnect the battery if you have rig plugged in to household circuit?
The battery is not needed at all when hooked up to shore power. Assuming your rig is a late model and has a 3-stage converter/charger there is really no need to disconnect the battery. It will be properly maintained. The only thing you need to do is keep check on its water level.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinkle57 View Post
After our first three short trips we may not be able to go out again for a while (6-7 weeks). Should I drain the hot water heater and disconnect the battery? What else should we do?
Great to see another 23B owner towing with a Ridgeline! We are a minority in the TT world. Enjoy!
jschimm is offline   Reply With Quote