Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

So many questions

We've had our x17 Z for a couple weeks but tomorrow is the first time we are going out camping since the weather has been crazy out here in Colorado. We have never owned a camper before and to be quite honest we pretty much forgot almost everything the guy showed us during orientation. The manual does not really give me the answers I'm looking for. So, where would be a good place to look for instructions on how to fire up and operate stuff like the fridge, the furnace, water pump? The manual does not really give me the answers I'm looking for. I tried youtube but cannot find any decent videos. Thanks for your help
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
Hi! I'm also in Colorado and used our brand new X17A for the first time last weekend. Talk about newbie - I never even had a hitch before, nevermind towed anything. There are some great YouTube videos about lighting the water heater, the oven, hooking up the hose, and dumping the tanks. I watched several of them over and over again. I also posted specific questions on this forum, and the people here are wonderful. I also video' our delivery, which wasn't great. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

I found this video helpful. It's an older year and some things are different, but it was helpful

This video was helpful for the tanks. The set up is basically the same even though it isn't your model.

Search by subject on YouTube. I found a great one last night about how to use my electronic break control.

Let me know if you need anything!
Leann
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I have found YouTube to be extremely helpful. There is a channel named rvgeeks that has a lot of great content imo.
weekendwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

Just post specific questions on here and someone will answer.. JOF is your best resource!!!
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

The campground will be full of folks who would be happy to help. Expect some newbie issues the first time out, we all had them, but after a couple trips it will be second nature.

Water pump should be a switch near the tank gauges.

Fridge should have a Auto selection on the front of the fridge. This will have it automatically switch from 12v/propane to 120v when 120 is present. Make sure the LP tanks are open.

Water heat should be DSI, no pilot to lite. The switch to turn on water heater will be near the water pump. You chose 120v when plugged into AC, or LP when no AC power is connected.

All this stuf runs on 12v, supplied by your batteries if AC power isn't present. Balance your 12v use to you battery capacity takes some practice. A single group 24 battery wi last 24-36 hours, maybe 48 with lots of conservation and no furnace use.

Hopefully that is enough of a start till you get to the CG.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Team

I've literally set up for the family next to us as it was their first time and didn't know what to do. As long as you arrive at a decent time people will normally help.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I've literally set up for the family next to us as it was their first time and didn't know what to do. As long as you arrive at a decent time people will normally help.
Helped a first timer a couple weeks back and walked him through his first setup. I thought I was pretty RV savvy and ran into a buddy I had worked with years before. He and his wife have full timed in there class A for 5-6 years. He had so many tips on how to that he had learned and was willing to pass on. You'll find most campers are willing to help you and answer any questions you might have. There is always someone that has a new idea on how to ................
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #8

Thanks guys!
I just picked it up but it's dark out now. Will take a look tomorrow morning to see if everything seems to work and then post questions if I have any.

I just connected the battery it came with to the battery charger and it was almost out! No idea how that happened as the battery was not connected since we bought the camper. Btw to charge the battery do I use the 2amp trickle charge??
Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilly View Post
Thanks guys!
I just picked it up but it's dark out now. Will take a look tomorrow morning to see if everything seems to work and then post questions if I have any.

I just connected the battery it came with to the battery charger and it was almost out! No idea how that happened as the battery was not connected since we bought the camper. Btw to charge the battery do I use the 2amp trickle charge??
Plug you trailer into a 120v 15/20a outlet at your house and let the onboard converter charge the battery. If the trailer is new it is likely a three stage converter that will adjust current for the optimal charge and storage requirements. It will require a 30a to 15/20a adapter (dog bone) to do this. You can get the adapted from Walmart or any RV store.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #10

Thanks. Too late to get the converter. I have the battery connected to a charger now using 12v 2amp charge. Hope it works....

Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

The converter is standard equip on your travel trailer. I assume you meant to late to get the adapter. Next time you are at the store pick up an adapter, you should keep one or two in your trailer.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #12

Thanks for all your help. We just got back from our first trip and everything worked super smooth. I will be posting some additional questions about stuff I ran into
Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #13

This will be the third year we've had our HTT. It still seems like every time we go out it feels like we are newbies. We learn something new every time. That's why I am on here reading all of the questions that are posted, because it is probably something I need to know.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote