Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Spare tire storage 23B

I was thinking about reinforcing the bumper to attach a spare tire but I talked to the dealership and they really recommended I not, even if its reinforced. That being said, other than the tongue mount, which I want to avoid, does anybody have advice for where to store the spare tire?
DPCardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
... does anybody have advice for where to store the spare tire?
No, but if you find a solution please keep me posted. I reomved the spare and the carrier to reduce tongue weight. I still haven't figuted out what to do with it yet. FYI the 14" tire & rim weighed 41 lbs, the carrier 13 lbs.

After reading your answer, I'm still going to ask at a trailer shop to see what they think. I have the 17Z so there is less trailer to work with.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

I'd be curious also, we are taking our spare tire off as well and will just put in the pickup, it will work, but not the ideal solution.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Must be different bumpers on the hybrids because the Jayflights come with the spare mounted on the bumper.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

I am wondering if the cabinet below the rear bed could be enlarged to carry the spare tire. I will have to look at that. I have the tongue mount on my Z and it makes installing/uninstalling the propane tank that much harder. I know it would fit in my "front trunk" but it would still be mostly tongue weight.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #6

Spare tire storage 23B

The guy at my dealership said that even full size square bumpers are risky and that is why you see the spare tire mounted over toward the side near one of the supports. I'm sure i could find some person who would be willing to reinforce the bumper but I don't want to push it. i'll take it as a sign that the dealership had no interest in cashing in on a chance to gouge me in parts and labor.
DPCardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #7

IMO the bumper on a 17z is cosmetic, and I wouldn't consider mounting anything "heavy" even if it was reinforced. I'm looking for a tire carrier I can bolt into the frame. That way if I don't like it, it's easily removed. ... will probably have to modify a stock product to do so. I plan on consulting with a few experienced towing businesses before doing anything.

Jayco and their dealers might not be able to discuss modifications as freely as they would like to satisfy their customers. I understand and accept that. If we were "in their place" we would probably say (or not say) the same thing(s). All that said, my Z is out of warranty in a week or two, and If I get an experienced opinion that I can safely mount a spare tire on the rear, I'm going to do it.

On the lighter side: Murphy's Law is in full force here. If you bury your spare under a full load in the back of your truck, you will have a flat. If you spend the time and money to have it conveniently located but out of the way, you will never need it.

Quote:
... if the cabinet below the rear bed could be enlarged to carry the spare tire.
I don't think it will fit there, but that would be an excellent place to haul it. ... maybe a small floor bracket to keep it from moving with a means to secure it to the back wall. But that might block the entrance. ... on to plans C, D, and E.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

The bumper is very much just cosmetic. I honestly think, in my case anyway, the spare in the bed of the pickup would be easier to get to than dealing with that bracket under the tongue. All I'd need to do is lift the cover, move a couple bag chairs and out it comes. This is my attempt to beat Murphy.

With that said, if I were to actually do this, I think you would not only want it attached to the frame, but also the back wall, this is how it was on our popup. I don't know how much "structure" is in that wall(I don't yet have a schematic of the back wall), but if you attached a piece of plywood on the inside and then ran the bolts through it, you should be able to spread the load out on the wall. Since this area is all "hidden" you would never see this. If the bottom of the spare bracket were then also attached to the frame, it really should be very solid. The only reason I haven't really looked into this, is I am also doing the vinyl fence post mod for the sewer hose on the rear bumper and I don't think there is room to do both.

I don't know about using the space below the rear bed, I wouldn't want to lose the cabinet inside the door and anywhere else back there, would be a fair amount of work to get to.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote