Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Have a 17a, overzealous with legs, now bent, how many have replaced with scissor type?

jstor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Fairly easy job.. I did it on an old tent trailer I had years ago.

2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
I'm curious myself which scissor jacks people used.
Model X19H Expandable
GMC Sierra Pick up

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
The manual for the jacks on our 2015 x20e specifically state that our jacks are levelers (also). Before reading the info we had been very careful and used them to stabilize only. We now will add a bit more pressure as needed to move the "bubble" a little. Way faster than trying to manually level that last bit.

I also called the distributor - they also said that they are levelers. Nonetheless, we are very careful in their use because they don't appear to be all that strong.

Sorry that I don't have the name and specs right now but the manual is with the TT in storage.
Kathleen and the "Big Guy" (BG)
Homer the Beagle
2016 Acura MDX - 2015 X20E
10K Equalizer; Teshonka P3
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
In most cases, the frames of camping trailers are not designed for using leveling jacks on the corners. They tend to twist the frame, which twists the whole construction atop the frame - doors and windows may not open and close properly, and in time, you may compromise sealed joints at corners and where the roof meets the sides. That's why the jacks the factory provides are called "stabilizers." They are only meant to reduce the movement of the unit as you move about in the trailer.

While it is possible to replace "stabilizers" with "leveling jacks," I would not do it, myself. I always use boards beneath the tires on one side to level the trailer side-to-side, then use the tongue jack to level front to rear - then lower the stabilizers. I put a little pressure on them, to ensure they do a good job, but never enough to adjust the leveling. Others may do it, but not me. (I tried once and the door was binding along the outer, bottom edge against the threshhold, so I took some pressure off the offending stabilizer.)

The power stabilizers I have on my 2015 Jay Flight automatically adjust for differences in elevation from side-to-side, but stop when the correct amount of pressure has been applied. Manual stabilizers should be adjusted the same way.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote