Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Taking Possession ... what do we need to look out for?

Hi again,

With regards to the X17Z we're picking up on Tuesday, I'm just wondering if there is anything we need to watch out for in particular, especially pertaining to quality?

While our experience with the dealer was not bad (but not great), I'm not overly trusting of them and it's a 2-hour drive to go back if we notice later that they tried to pull a fast one, or if there is something wrong with quality control.

Thanks in advance!!

--n
nat-in-ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #2

Get a ladder and completely check the roof for damage or possible areas that may become a problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

I like to open every door, lift every cushion.. Try every tap etc. I will also take video or photos with my iPhone if they are explaining a procedure for set up etc. which seems complicated.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

great ? nat-in-ottawa. We pick ours up end of April from the dealer.

Lady Wendolyn great idea about taking video when they are explaining a procedure for set up etc. I am going to do this forsure!
sunstarsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #5

I don't have a check list, but I would open and close every drawer, blind, vent, cabinet etc to be sure that they are free from obstruction. Check under the sink to be sure all brackets are holding the sink down properly, check the sink drain for excessive plumbers putty. Check Air Conditioner and heater, and water heater. Check all lights and switches. Check for any loose moldings, trim and shelves.

Ask to have the A/C bolts checked (mine were loose) ask them to check the tire pressure. Check stabilizer jacks and be sure that everything on the outside is tight. That's all I can think of.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

make sure to open both bunkends and inspect fabric inside and out. Open the awning to inspect and make sure it works properly, look for any cosmetic flaws, dings, loose hardware, etc. I found that a lot of the inspection could be done as the dealer walked through the instructions on how to operate the core functions (heat, air, stove, water, etc). I used a camcorder too.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Make sure they grease the ball when they hook it up to your TV. My dealer left mine bone dry, and I got home at dark with a heavy rain coming in. I like never got it off the truck.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Check the canvas bunk ends where it is sewn onto the plastc j-trac, i had to have both of mine repleced, check the bolts that hold the step onto the body both of mine were loose,check the a/c bolts all were loose and leaking water into the inside,the front seat where it meets the body of the camper came loose and started to pull away from yhe body,chekck the 3 large wires that come from the rear of the camper and hook upto the 12v battery mine were twisted together and wire nutted to a small 14 ga wire with an inline fuse which is unaseptable in my book all corroded and green Akso check the heighth of the a/c i hit a low bridge 60 miles from home and tore the a/c off on the first trip out. Sounds like a lot may be i just go a lemon
nens78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Smile

Def. check the a/c bolts, I have seen alot of posts stating that they are never tightened at the factory and do leak, turn all the valves on water lines, we have a 2011 (we will have had it a year in July) and when we unwinterized this spring the inlet valve on the water heater broke and wouldn't open so we had to take it to be replaced.

2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab (gas)
2011 Jayco 23j
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

na-in-ottawa-- Just as an FYI did your dealer give you a battery with the trailer. Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #11

don't have a 17z but have a 184. after approx. 100 miles found out the wheels weren't properly installed. have dealer jack up trailer and make sure wheels are secure. like everyone else is saying, check everything, take your time, if you are not clear on something, dont leave until you are. once you are camping, i have found other rvers are most willing to help out if you have a problem or question. also, this site has been a lot of help to us, as it hs been several years since we had a rv, so we are basically starting over. good luck with your new tt, happy camping.
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote