Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Tires on my 2012 19H already gone bad

I noticed the other day one of my tires on my camper had indents in the sidewalls. The belts in the tire seemed to be pulling away. It was a Towmaster tire with maybe 1800 miles in it.
Anyone else have issues with these tires?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Not that brand, but had to replace all the trail king tires on our swift 184 after less than 1 year and far less than 1000miles. One tire had separated down the middle tread and the other two, [one spare] were severely checked on the sidewall. As I mentioned in previous post these tires were never abused and were covered during storage. We keep hoping our issues with this tt are behind us but only time will tell....happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

My 2013 X19H has the same issue, I believe, as what you described. I noticed the other day while I was washing the rig after a camping trip that both tires on the passenger side have indentations on them. I haven't noticed any unusual wear or problems while towing and the treads look good, so I thought maybe they were always there and I just never noticed. Should I be alarmed? Do they need to be replaced? The tires have maybe 1500 miles on them. Any help from the experts would be appreciated. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

It seems it could be difficult to pinpoint what the cause of tire wear is. Under inflated tires? Over-loading the TT? Bad axles??

There is a thread that was just posted that they attributed their tire wear to bad axles, here's the link:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-axle-problems!!!!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

I would replace the tires with the indents in them, I believe the indent is a bad sign. Why take a chance of a blow out on the highway.
I had the indents and I swapped out the tires.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

how bad do the indents need to be? pictures?
we had a different TT before and the tires had these indents almost right away, same thing with the Jayco, the tires seemed to develop slight indents right away
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=32
http://www.tires-easy.com/blog/valle...tire-sidewall/
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

I got rid of the tire, sorry, no pictures. It had pretty deep and wide dents in the sidewall on both sides of the tire.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

I have the same indentations on my 2013 19h. They are also the tow master. What should we do? Are they under warranty from the dealer?
Reading the second link that Boubou posted seems like its not that big of a deal?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

I had towmax tires and I had a bulge on the side wall. Closer look and it looked like the rubber was separating. I went to discount tire and bought some maxxis tires. They have a three year warranty so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

One thing is when I back in my Tt into my drive way I have to cut it really hard. When I do this it looks like it places a LOT of lateral stress on the tires. I think this decreases the life some. But again. Three year warranty so I am not too worried.

Tires are imperative for safety. So if there is any doubt I say replace.
ksas025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
how bad do the indents need to be? pictures?
we had a different TT before and the tires had these indents almost right away, same thing with the Jayco, the tires seemed to develop slight indents right away
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=32
http://www.tires-easy.com/blog/valle...tire-sidewall/
My tires have these "undulations" as they are called in the tire industry and I have logged over 2k miles on them since buying my TT used in 2011. I have no idea of how old the tires are but they look good and I plan on running them for an undisclosed period of time until they show signs that I think they need replacing.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #11

Why speculate on what these mean? Read up a bit first. My Dad's Goodyear tires on his truck have undulations and they have not proven to be a problem. Of course its ultimately a personal decision and one has to feel comfortable about what they are towing. If so, its better to replace them than have it on your mind all the time.

Tire Rack "undulations" article
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #12

What tire brand work"s the best??????????? The last "tire bashing " go around was for goodyear marathon's now towmaster & towmaxx mfg (not listed). I have the marathon's now , they are "09's so , by age, they should be changed next year . Are Maxx's the way to go ? lARRY