Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #1

To the 17z owners

I might be purchasing a 2012 Starcraft 176rb. This one wieghs 3445lbs, has a GVWR of 3995 (wonder why it weighs more than the 17z). We have a 5000lbs Truck frame mid size SUV.

My questions for you are:

Does your ducted furnace really help? This one isn't ducted.
Do you need more room in your freezer? This unit has a bigger one so TV has to be mounted to cabinet.
Do you need a shower suround? This one has it.
The radio in the starcraft is just that...a radio and MP3 input. Have to bring a seperate DVD player.
Do I need the outside speakers.
Do I need a DSI water heater? This doesn't have.

Other than that they seam sisters. I am wondering about the 3445lbs (with full propane). Almost 400lbs more than the 17z
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #2

I have the 2011 176RB and the heater is ducted in it it. Are you sure it isn't ducted? Usually it is just myself or my DW so the freezer has plenty of room for just the two of us on a weekend trip. I switched the installed cheap radio out for one that I liked. Wasn't to hard to do as it only took 4 screws to take the old one out. Are you sure there is no water heater as again mine came with one installed. I have not installed outdoor speakers but may do so in the future. The 5000 Lb truck should handle it as long as you do not load up too much into it. Hope this helps you
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!!
It looks like the 176rb changed in 2012.No ducted furnace. It does have a water heater, just not DSI (ignite it from inside). They took out the TV shelf and made a separate freezer. I was very surprised to see it now weighs 3445. Trying to get the dealer to throw in some extras (WDH). Not crazy on the price considering we see same year x17Z a little cheaper (further away)
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

In 2012 Starcraft went back to making some of their own floorplans, that's why it seems a little different, they stopped making "clones" of Jayco. Our 2013 also does not have a ducted furnace, I don't really feel this is a big deal. We found using a 1500W electric, tower type space heater works much better. It's quieter and maintains a more even heat. We still have the furnace on, but it only kicked in if the space heater couldn't keep up. This was in our 17Z, we plan to do the same thing with our Starcraft, though we may need to get another heater.

DSI is nice, but not necessary, our 17Z did not have a DSI water heater.

As to price, push them a little, this is the time of year most dealers want to get things cleared out.

As to towing, you really should ask about that in the towing forum, it is not as simple as you might think. My honest answer, you "might" be ok, please check into this more before proceeding.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

Thanks again.
I think if they they throw in the WDH I might go for it. They took off 300 but that's all they'll go. I can still get a17z for just over 1k cheaper....they are offering good trade value. We were orginal going to sell it ourselves.
We only have one more trip planned this year so if I miss out I know there will be plenty next year.
I have been checking the numbers along with other suggestions from other forums.

How loud is your A/ C?