Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Tongue jack freezes and blows fuses

Hi all,

Our tongue jack has an intermittent freezing issue. When this happens, it blows the 40 amp fuse and cannot be hand cranked. Our last trip out, we had to use a 50 amp fuse to get it to move enough so that we could unhitch our TV. Now the trailer is about 100 miles out from Richardsons RV in SoCal. It is still on original warranty, so I hope we can get back to the dealer, but do others have this issue?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Those Power Tongue Jacks are not water proof. When water gets in the motor they might seize up. Maybe yours is able to fix yet. It has to be taken apart, cleaned and greased.
After it is working proper leave a bucket over the Jack.
I doubt they warrant the PTJ but you can try.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #3

This really sounds like a defective jack.. IF it did not come with your Jayco (and then would be under the 2 year warranty) the jack manufacture should warranty it..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks for your response. The TT is stored inside, so it has been in a light rain for (maybe) 3 or 4 days total. (Hey, we are in the desert in SoCal. this past year we have had less than one inch of rain.).

I had read somewhere else about sometimes blowing the fuse when the jack is lifted to a high position, but when that happens we replace the 40 amp fuse and are good to go. If we hadn't had a 50 amp, I would be dragging my TT to work with me.

We haven't heard back from Richardson's but will post more when we learn more. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

I have had the same issue with my 2015 Jayflight and I had warranty work on it over the winter. Just yesterday, getting it out and not only blew the fuse but now we can't even use the power from the truck to get it working, which we did all last camping season. The work done put another fuse along the circuit and I was told that if there is too much power coming through that it would freeze but to let go of the switch and it will reset. Well it worked when I left the shop but yesterday it was back to it's old problem and, as I said, now we can't even use the truck power. I will be calling the shop tomorrow
rmsorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsorcy View Post
I have had the same issue with my 2015 Jayflight and I had warranty work on it over the winter. Just yesterday, getting it out and not only blew the fuse but now we can't even use the power from the truck to get it working, which we did all last camping season. The work done put another fuse along the circuit and I was told that if there is too much power coming through that it would freeze but to let go of the switch and it will reset. Well it worked when I left the shop but yesterday it was back to it's old problem and, as I said, now we can't even use the truck power. I will be calling the shop tomorrow
Does the person that told you that have a second job selling bridges? Too much voltage I could understand but not too much power.. esp when it is fused.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

So it's the fuse we would need to have if this happens to us? We've never used an electric tongue jack before

In a couple of weeks, we should be on our maiden voyage (2000 miles). If our tongue jack freezes on us, we may be too far from somewhere to buy a fuse, or in CG too late to have someone fix it.

Is there a 'back-up' plan? If having a fuse as an emergency backup works, what fuse should we purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
So it's the fuse we would need to have if this happens to us? We've never used an electric tongue jack before

In a couple of weeks, we should be on our maiden voyage (2000 miles). If our tongue jack freezes on us, we may be too far from somewhere to buy a fuse, or in CG too late to have someone fix it.

Is there a 'back-up' plan? If having a fuse as an emergency backup works, what fuse should we purchase?

Thanks in advance.
Mine, and I believe all power jacks, can be cranked manually. A handle for this came with my trailer.

I keep spare fuses of the same size that blew; 30amp in my case. I don't know if all of them use that size.

Also, it has been reported that plugging the TT into the TV allows the jack to work even with a blown fuse. From my experience, I believe that to be true, but haven't had the opportunity to actually test it. *

* I brought the TT home, used the power jack to connect and disconnect, but was plugged in to TV. Parked TV. Later, tried to level the TT, but jack fuse was blown (don't know when that happened). Replaced jack fuse and leveled TT. I need to pull the good fuse and try TV power again to be sure.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Mine, and I believe all power jacks, can be cranked manually. A handle for this came with my trailer.

I keep spare fuses of the same size that blew; 30amp in my case. I don't know if all of them use that size.

Also, it has been reported that plugging the TT into the TV allows the jack to work even with a blown fuse. From my experience, I believe that to be true, but haven't had the opportunity to actually test it. *

* I brought the TT home, used the power jack to connect and disconnect, but was plugged in to TV. Parked TV. Later, tried to level the TT, but jack fuse was blown (don't know when that happened). Replaced jack fuse and leveled TT. I need to pull the good fuse and try TV power again to be sure.
It will be interesting to hear the results of your test. Assuming we are all talking about tongue jack fuses (and not some other fuse) the jack should not work, no matter what, if the fuse is blown. If it does work (and it really is the tongue jack fuse that is blown) then it must be wired wrong.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #10

I throw a bag over it. Never had a problem.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
It will be interesting to hear the results of your test. Assuming we are all talking about tongue jack fuses (and not some other fuse) the jack should not work, no matter what, if the fuse is blown. If it does work (and it really is the tongue jack fuse that is blown) then it must be wired wrong.
I share your skepticism and your interest in this. It seems bizarre, at best, if the fuse only protects the jack when powered from the TT battery. But I did not make this up; someone on the JOF reported that is what they found and my reaction was much like yours: A fuse to protect the jack that is dependent on which 12v power source is used? That seems unlikely.

What I do know is what I stated earlier (expanded a bit): When I brought the TT home and parked it next to the house, I used the power jack to connect and disconnect. Both of those times (like I always do) I was plugged in to my TV to minimize the load on the TT battery. Then I moved my TV to my driveway. Days later, I tried to level the TT, but the jack didn't move. I checked the jack fuse and it was blown. Sadly, there is no way to know when the fuse blew. I replaced the jack fuse and used the jack with the TT battery to level the TT.

Next: I need to remove the good jack fuse and try to duplicate the conditions - jack won't operate from the TT battery but does operate from the TV power.
Also: Is what I call the 'jack fuse' actually dedicated to the jack? I know it is the fuse that blows when I extended the jack too far, but does anything else loose power when that fuse blows?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I share your skepticism and your interest in this. It seems bizarre, at best, if the fuse only protects the jack when powered from the TT battery. But I did not make this up; someone on the JOF reported that is what they found and my reaction was much like yours: A fuse to protect the jack that is dependent on which 12v power source is used? That seems unlikely.

What I do know is what I stated earlier (expanded a bit): When I brought the TT home and parked it next to the house, I used the power jack to connect and disconnect. Both of those times (like I always do) I was plugged in to my TV to minimize the load on the TT battery. Then I moved my TV to my driveway. Days later, I tried to level the TT, but the jack didn't move. I checked the jack fuse and it was blown. Sadly, there is no way to know when the fuse blew. I replaced the jack fuse and used the jack with the TT battery to level the TT.

Next: I need to remove the good jack fuse and try to duplicate the conditions - jack won't operate from the TT battery but does operate from the TV power.
Also: Is what I call the 'jack fuse' actually dedicated to the jack? I know it is the fuse that blows when I extended the jack too far, but does anything else loose power when that fuse blows?
We have the same trailer, so I would assume they are wired the same. However, I have done a fair bit of modification to the battery box on mine. If I remember correctly mine has an in-line fuse to the jack. It also has a self resetting breaker up under the front, by the electrical box, but that is not related to the jack. The jack is wired directly to the battery with the inline fuse for protection. It would not matter what was actually supplying power, as long as 12VDC was available at the battery terminals, the jack would work.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #13

The fuse is not protecting the jack, it's protecting the main lead off of the battery. When you're hooked to the tow vehicle, you're (approximately) splitting the load from the power jack between the trailer battery and the vehicle battery. When the TV is disconnected, the full draw is from the trailer battery (and through that 30a fuse). It does make sense when you think of it that way.
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
The fuse is not protecting the jack, it's protecting the main lead off of the battery. When you're hooked to the tow vehicle, you're (approximately) splitting the load from the power jack between the trailer battery and the vehicle battery. When the TV is disconnected, the full draw is from the trailer battery (and through that 30a fuse). It does make sense when you think of it that way.
Assuming you are replying to my post, ignore this message if you are not. One of the issues in this thread is there is a lot of talking about fuses/breakers but it becomes unclear which fuse is being discussed. In my case I was specifically discussing the fuse that my trailer has inline with the jack. "Where" the power is supplied from makes no difference to that fuse, all power must flow through it to run the jack. So if that fuse is blown the jack still would not work, no matter what.

If you are referring to a fuse between the batteries and the trailer/convertor (and the fuse is good), then yes, the current would be split between the tow vehicle and the trailer batteries by some percentage. If this fuse were blown, there would be no 12V lights in the trailer unless plugged into shore power, the batteries would not charge from shore power, and the jack would not work unless plugged into the tow vehicle.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #15

I originally posted this thread . . .

In our case, we tried to hand crank the jack and it wouldn't budge so I tried a 50 amp fuse and it worked.

The TT was still plugged into the TV, so I would suppose that means it could not run off of that either.

We finally got unhitched and the TT has been in storage since. Richardsons RV in Menifee has not returned either of my calls.

We did blow one 50 amp fuse but had another. THis does not seem to be a good solution but I am in fear of not being able to unhitch on the road.

Kathleen
Old 04-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
We did blow one 50 amp fuse but had another. THis does not seem to be a good solution but I am in fear of not being able to unhitch on the road........Kathleen.

You always can unhitch; your TV should have a jack on board. Smile!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #17

There is a good answer to your suggestion about keeping a jack on board but it would involve a very long explanation revolving around the deductive reasoning and mechanical skills of the more masculine side of our little camping team. More plainly stated, and for reasons that I cannot fathom, the "big guy" tends to "store" 100% of the tools; equipment; gear; etc in all sorts of cubbies, most of which are in our garage. I gather what I can for each trip but am becoming very adept at kitbashing all sorts of repairs. Fortunately, he has offsetting traits that make our life journey together well worth it.

As for the person who asked which fuse . . . there is a cleverly hidden fuse inside the battery case . . I assume it is the inline fuse that someone else was mentioning. I will try Richardson's one more time and will post the solution (if there is one).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Kathleen
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
I originally posted this thread . . .

In our case, we tried to hand crank the jack and it wouldn't budge so I tried a 50 amp fuse and it worked.

The TT was still plugged into the TV, so I would suppose that means it could not run off of that either.

We finally got unhitched and the TT has been in storage since. Richardsons RV in Menifee has not returned either of my calls.

We did blow one 50 amp fuse but had another. THis does not seem to be a good solution but I am in fear of not being able to unhitch on the road.

Kathleen
Now that you have the trailer unhooked, is it still hard/impossible to move the jack with the handle? If so, it should not be, and I would get it replaced.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD