Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #41

Hi Javin,

I have basically the same setup - pulling a 2017 XRB with a 2015 Town & Country. I just bought the camper this year, so last weekend was actually my first time out with it. I had the RV dealership install a hitch, trans cooler, and brake controller, and I installed a rear suspension upgrade kit myself, which was pretty quick and easy (Timbren DVRRT Suspension Enhancement System).

As for my towing experience, I will say that I was a little stressed, especially because I read this thread a few days before the trip. Our trip was roughly 3 hours, through a fair amount of hills & valleys. I ended up using the manual shifting to keep the transmission from constantly shifting up and down, so my RPMs were higher than normal of course. Needless to say, my gas mileage was around 12 MPG avg, but I didn't have any trouble. The steeper hills were a bit of a struggle, and I was kicked around a bit in the wind, but I was definitely more confident on the trip back.

The end result is that I'm comfortable with this setup for most of our summer camping plans that aren't too far, but I have decided not to use this setup for very long trips.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170414_190551.jpg  
Longway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longway View Post
Hi Javin,

I have basically the same setup - pulling a 2017 XRB with a 2015 Town & Country. I just bought the camper this year, so last weekend was actually my first time out with it. I had the RV dealership install a hitch, trans cooler, and brake controller, and I installed a rear suspension upgrade kit myself, which was pretty quick and easy (Timbren DVRRT Suspension Enhancement System).

As for my towing experience, I will say that I was a little stressed, especially because I read this thread a few days before the trip. Our trip was roughly 3 hours, through a fair amount of hills & valleys. I ended up using the manual shifting to keep the transmission from constantly shifting up and down, so my RPMs were higher than normal of course. Needless to say, my gas mileage was around 12 MPG avg, but I didn't have any trouble. The steeper hills were a bit of a struggle, and I was kicked around a bit in the wind, but I was definitely more confident on the trip back.

The end result is that I'm comfortable with this setup for most of our summer camping plans that aren't too far, but I have decided not to use this setup for very long trips.
Thanks so much for letting me know how your experience was. I have talked to a few people with the same set up and they all say the same things, its not ideal but it works. The one thing I have not looked into is the rear suspension add on, i suppose this is worth checking out as well. I will also look at the owners manual regarding manual shifting, not sure how that works either. Like you, I plan to keep our trip around the 3 hour mark for my own sanity. Once again after bringing this up to various people at the dealership they said they sell 30-50 of these trailers to mini van owners every year and have never had anyone come back with problems. He said he would lose his licence if he was to sell a trailer to someone with a vehicle that is unfit to tow it. We pick ours up next week so i'm nervous and excited to say the least!
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #43

Hi Javin,

Just wanted to share my experience towing my 19H with a Chevy Trailblazer which falls into that category of less than ideal but it works. The first thing I did was put Monroe load adjusting shocks on to help with the tongue weight and make sure the weight distributing hitch is set up properly by the dealer mine was not, they will give you info with the camper with instructions so you can check it.

I can definitely feel it back there especially with a cross wind I have to tow in 3rd gear it won't stay in overdrive, premium fuel helps a lot also.

I don't get in a hurry going anywhere 55-60 tops.

Hope this helps, Good luck
sfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #44

Javin,
I get dirty looks from truck driver when they see me towing my trailer with my SUV. Some people feel that they always need monster truck to tow a small camper. Just my thought. Just take it easy and go the speed limit.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #45

So our first trip with Dodge Grand Caravan and 16XRB was fine. We are in Ontario which is pretty flat so no huge mountains or anything. Had it up to 100Km on the highway just takes longer to get up to speed since our trailer and van was full of gear, bikes and food ect. Like most who have this combo say, its not ideal but works for us since we do around 6-7 trips a year and only go around 3 hours away from where we live. Driving on the smaller highways with a max speed of 80km is preferred when compared to larger faster highways but our van got the job done. Thanks once again to all that commented and helped me on this journey. Bottom line, we love our Hybrid. Its everything we love about camping with all the comforts of home!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
So our first trip with Dodge Grand Caravan and 16XRB was fine. We are in Ontario which is pretty flat so no huge mountains or anything. Had it up to 100Km on the highway just takes longer to get up to speed since our trailer and van was full of gear, bikes and food ect. Like most who have this combo say, its not ideal but works for us since we do around 6-7 trips a year and only go around 3 hours away from where we live. Driving on the smaller highways with a max speed of 80km is preferred when compared to larger faster highways but our van got the job done. Thanks once again to all that commented and helped me on this journey. Bottom line, we love our Hybrid. Its everything we love about camping with all the comforts of home!
Hey Javin, hopefully you will still see this message -- but how is the hybrid treating you ?? I'm about to go buy one and i have 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan pulling it -- hopefully this reaches you!

Cheers!
cyrstephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrstephane View Post
Hey Javin, hopefully you will still see this message -- but how is the hybrid treating you ?? I'm about to go buy one and i have 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan pulling it -- hopefully this reaches you!

Cheers!
Greetings! Yes things are going well and the hybrid was a great choice for us. Most of our trips are within 3 hours typically and we would avoid extremely hilly areas. The van has been powerful enough to get up steep gravel sloped roads in the parks. We have had a few minor issues like a hidden fuse blowing as well as some add ons that were needed like moisture mats under the mattresses and bed toppers to make the beds more comfy. We do everything from boondocking to full service sites and it's been great. There is only my wife and my son and I so the space can get tight with more ppl but we usually eat outside and keep the third bed in the middle set up for my son. I personally like the tent ends as it still feels like camping and u can look out at the water from bed ect. But if u have noisy ppl beside u it can get annoying. All things to consider. Hope this helps. If u have any other questions let me know.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Greetings! Yes things are going well and the hybrid was a great choice for us. Most of our trips are within 3 hours typically and we would avoid extremely hilly areas. The van has been powerful enough to get up steep gravel sloped roads in the parks. We have had a few minor issues like a hidden fuse blowing as well as some add ons that were needed like moisture mats under the mattresses and bed toppers to make the beds more comfy. We do everything from boondocking to full service sites and it's been great. There is only my wife and my son and I so the space can get tight with more ppl but we usually eat outside and keep the third bed in the middle set up for my son. I personally like the tent ends as it still feels like camping and u can look out at the water from bed ect. But if u have noisy ppl beside u it can get annoying. All things to consider. Hope this helps. If u have any other questions let me know.
So no issues pulling it with the van ? Do you feel restrained while packing ??

Thanks for your insight !!
cyrstephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrstephane View Post
So no issues pulling it with the van ? Do you feel restrained while packing ??

Thanks for your insight !!
I usually put 2 bikes inside the van with all the rest of the food,water, games, toys, clothing ect and have not had any problems. I'm sure i am close to the weight limit which at first worried me but the van has been good. I try to give it some extra acceleration when approaching hills to gain momentum going up as it takes alot longer to accelerate and hills will slow u down quite a bit. I usually set the cruise to around 100km on the major highways and i am good. Its not as relaxing as pulling a trailer with a truck i'm sure, and stop and go traffic is not fun since the trailer pushes against you everytime you stop. Like i said ive been on steep gravel hills with gear and full tanks and it has not let me down yet! Not sure what kind of wear and tear it is on the vans transmission ect. but we only go on around 5 trips a year and eventually I would like to park the trailer somewhere and leave it for longer periods of time. To be honest leading up to my first few times pulling it I was really nervous and unsure, now after a couple years I feel confident and fine.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #50

I bought my 16xrb earlier this summer, I have been out a few times with her. I haul it with my Sante fe 2.0T and it drives just fine max tow is 3500 as well. The wind drag is what I feel the most. But I just keep her at 100km/hr or less as I notice the gas mileage really drops which is a good indication of the stress on the vehicle. I am using a weight distribution hitch as my hitch would be dragging for sure. I previously had a Coleman pop that was 3k in weight which is pretty damn close to what I have now just the tongue weight has increased and the wind drag is significantly as before I used to get 13.5L/100km instead of the now 20.1L/100km. I love my wieght distribution and sway control in one. I hardly feel the trailer except for hills and if it's windy. I will post which model i got later.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #51

Are you not using a brake controller? If you are you need to set it up. If you are not you definitely need one and a decent one. They have them with sensors that detect hills and automatically brake on declines, and if you set it up propperly you should feel the trailer pushing you at all.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #52

I would also suggest the Andersen hitch to add weight to your front end and reduce sway. I think your rear axel is way overloaded.

AND YOU MUST HAVE A BRAKE CONTROLER! Your kids life depends on it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #53

So, I am using the Husky Centerline. Check it out!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #54

We have a 2018 16XRB. This TT is advertised as "Minivan towable". However, after towing it for over a year, I'm not sure I would recommend towing it with a minivan. We have a 2012 VW Routan minivan and still choose to tow with my 4-door Tacoma.

I wouldn't listen to anything the dealership tells you because they will say ANYTHING to get you buy a TT, even if it's a bold lie. I have several friends who were oversold on TT's by dealership sales people and only after a couple of trips did they realize their tow vehicle was incredibly underpowered for the size of TT they were sold.
adamdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanswarner View Post
We tow a 2017 16XRB (2900 lbs) with a 2015 Toyota Sienna. Tow rated at 3500lbs. Setup properly with weight distribution hitch, air bags, and electric brake controller it pulled it home last week in 50 mph cross winds pretty well. I had it up to 75mph on the interstate but it's a lot more comfortable at 65mph. Speed contributes greatly to tow rating which is why the same vehicle in another country will sometimes have a 20-30% greater tow capacity. They rate them at a much lower speed. We are under the combined weight rating 8700 by 500 pounds when loaded with gear and kids. Plus we are in the midwest. Rolling hills and no mountain passes. While not perfect this setup works for us. I cannot justify getting a larger TV when 98% of the time we will not be towing anything. I'll just be that guy in the right lane going 65mph not in hurry to go camping.
I know it's an older post, but we have almost the exact same trailer/tow vehicle setup. What wight distribution hitch do you use?
WNYcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcamper View Post
I know it's an older post, but we have almost the exact same trailer/tow vehicle setup. What wight distribution hitch do you use?
Most likely you will not get a reply. He last posted 08-07-2017.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #57

I recently measured the tongue wt of my 2018 16XRB with a tongue wt scale. I was shocked to see the wt at 525 lbs. I did add a second propane tank, and upgraded to a group 27 size battery, but was still surprised, to see that. I pull with a 2012 Tacoma crew cab, with 6 ft bed, tow package and extra leaf spring, redarc brake control, equalizer wt distribution system. It’s a hard pull up hills, often downshifting into 3rd depending on how steep. I just can’t imagine pulling with a mini van
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #58

I just recently measured the tongue wt. of my 2018 16XRB with a tongue wt scale. I was shocked to see 525 lbs.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
I just recently measured the tongue wt. of my 2018 16XRB with a tongue wt scale. I was shocked to see 525 lbs.
It's a 3,900 lb trailer that should drop 12.5 - 14% onto the hitch. 485 - 546 lbs. Your number fell right in the middle there. So, I'm surprised that you'd be surprised, but it's an excellent learning experience for folks.

Always start with GVWR of the trailer (for non-toy haulers). When rolling down the road, these trailers will always be at or very near the GVWR. Then expect these smaller trailers to be nose heavy. So, 13% is a great number to use, which would be 510 lbs in this case. 510 lbs is not far from your 525 lb actual.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #60

I weighed the camper empty. According to the sticker it should weigh about 3026 lbs. 525 lb tongue wt for a 3026 lb trailer is more than 17%.
That’s why I was surprised