Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Trailer covers?

Hello - Just wondering if anyone has any experience using trailer covers on their unit? My hubby saw some on Amazon for about $190 and this would by far be the least expensive option up here in the freezing north (Green Bay, WI). Someone told us that when the wind blows and the covers move it scratches the unit. We never covered our Pop-up and stored it on our wooded lot and it was fine but when we went to sell it we noticed that people who had stored their units in-door had a higher asking price and the unit looked so much nicer. So...large storage units are out (unavailable) and building a garage is out (although the hubby would love to have an extra garage so covering it may be the best option. We're also worried about the air conditioner unit being covered by ice and snow in the winter. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks so much!

JammerB
2013 Jayco x18D
2003 Suburban
Suamico, WI
JammerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

i alway covered my pop-ups when we had them and now i cover the TT. as long as the cover is tight and not allowed to blow and flap in the wind it worked very well and kept the campers looking "new". i wash the TT once a year as well as the roof. we have the Adco cover for the TT.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Last winter was our first winter using our Adco cover for our 5th wheel. Not sure if we will use it again this year. We did notice a few light "scuff" marks against the sides. I'm sure this is because we didn't have it tight enough. It was not a custom one, so it didn't fit "perfectly". Ours is parked right up against our barn and luckily we didn't have much snow in our Ohio area. So its hard to say if it helped or not. One thing I would highly recommend if you use a cover is to get a few pool noodles or those pipe insulation pieces and cover up the "pointy" parts on your trailer...the stop behind the door, the water runoff things at the top, etc. These help from punching holes in your cover. From what I remember, these covers are porous to allow the camper to "breathe", so water will still get in...? I could be wrong though. I know what you mean by "hubby would love an extra garage"! This seems to be a huge justification for us to put one up as well! lol

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Designer 35RLTS and
2002 Dodge Ram Dually, Cummins Diesel
JaybirdDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
i alway covered my pop-ups when we had them and now i cover the TT. as long as the cover is tight and not allowed to blow and flap in the wind it worked very well and kept the campers looking "new". i wash the TT once a year as well as the roof. we have the Adco cover for the TT.

Agree 100%, you have to keep them fairly snug and this may mean adding extra hardware, none of them are "custom" to any particular trailer. Here is a pic of our X17Z in storage mode. I used tarp clamps to add extra attachment points. This actually worked out well as I was also able to cover the LP tanks. I do think they help quite a bit, and no they are not completely waterproof, but they do stop driving rain and snow. I did not notice any damage from the cover.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

I covered my unit last year (Adco) and agree that if the cover is tight it should minimize any scuffing. If there are any sharp corners might also consider putting a towel between the sharp corner and cover to minimize the chance that the corner will cut through the cover material.

My think was that if I could get two or three years out of the cover, keeping as much dirt, leaves, bird droppings, UV and other stuff off the trailer, the cover is worth the $200 cost. It was a pleasure removing the cover in the Spring and having a clean trailer underneath.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I covered my unit last year (Adco) and agree that if the cover is tight it should minimize any scuffing. If there are any sharp corners might also consider putting a towel between the sharp corner and cover to minimize the chance that the corner will cut through the cover material.

My think was that if I could get two or three years out of the cover, keeping as much dirt, leaves, bird droppings, UV and other stuff off the trailer, the cover is worth the $200 cost. It was a pleasure removing the cover in the Spring and having a clean trailer underneath.
I'm in agreement with you and I will be covering mine again this winter. :wink:

BTW...... Crabman has started a poll in the General Jayco forum. Vote if you're interested!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Just a added note i forgot to mention i drill out a hole in 4 tennis balls and placed them on the gutter extensions to protect the cover

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Trailer covers?

I like to go camping year round. So no cover for me. I just make sure to wash the trailer real good about twice a year. When done washing it looks great. I think though that if I neglected washing for a couple years and then decided to do it... It would be a bit too late and the dirtiness / discolorations would probably be more permanent. I figure the effort in washing is probably not much more than the effort in fighting with a cover. I live where there is little if any snow in the winter and that might make so e difference in the choice to cover / don't cover.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

Tennis balls

Quote:
Just a added note i forgot to mention i drill out a hole in 4 tennis balls and placed them on the gutter extensions to protect the cover
I really like the idea of the tennis balls, taking it a step further you could do the same for the door stop
zonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #10

Covering can be a pain but I think worth it. Using the tennis balls is a must. Larry ps I use the Classic Industries.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

I bought a cover for my X17Z and I appreciate the hints, especially the tennis ball idea!
camping nights this year 20
Nevadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Tennis balls worked for me last year. The cover kept the trailer dry and clean. I don't worry about surprise leaks that will go unnoticed for weeks.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

I cut the end off of 2 2-liter soda bottles and place it over the ends of the bumper to keep it from wearing out my cover on my 23b. I also cut the ends off of smaller water bottles and place them over the knobs that hold the bunk ends up.
vandy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #14

Just some food for thought...

That $200 might last you 2 years. Its kind of a pain to take off, fold up and store, then un pack and put on every trip. Its not going to do anything to help with and potential snow load. It can still get dirty (though significantly less) through the cover from rain draining through and bringing dirt and debris from leaves, etc.

My experience has been that people use the covers at first, then it becomes a hassle. They get home in the rain and don't put it back on. Or, they leave in the rain and it never dries out completely and they don't feel like messing with a dirty moldy cover.

If you bought a steel carport, it will last a lot longer, be easier to use (just park underneath) and less dependent upon good weather or helping hands everytime you come or go. The roof will help keep snow off your AV unit. You can go into your camper with the carport and check on things, pack, unpack, etc.

Its more expensive, but lasts way longer and is much easier to use.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #15

Steel Carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Just some food for thought...

If you bought a steel carport, it will last a lot longer, be easier to use (just park underneath) and less dependent upon good weather or helping hands everytime you come or go. The roof will help keep snow off your AV unit. You can go into your camper with the carport and check on things, pack, unpack, etc.

Its more expensive, but lasts way longer and is much easier to use.
Yes, a steel carport is about 2-3 times the cost of an Adco cover ($600 vs. $200!). Also, many locations don't allow them. So, unless you have a large lot in a non-HOA location, you probably cannot use them. Again, just some other "food for thought."

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #16

It certainly will last a LOT longer than that Adco cover though. Just another tool in his belt to consider...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #17

I covered a pop-up for two years until a bad windstorm ripped it to shreds. Never covered another trailer since. The only negative I have found is because of where I park it. The sun hits the front and back panels. On our old Kiwi 17a, after about 8 years it started to oxidize and look dull on the front and back beds. I had to use a polishing machine and white polishing compound to restore the luster.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote