Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
its awesome. Great beaches, shallow, clean water. The campsites are quite private and well treed. It actually feels like real camping - camp fires, racoons, watching the stars. But it is very tough to get a spot during July and August even though they have more than a thousand sites!

KillbearCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Ok further to this, has anyone ever had a problem unhooking the WDH cause the site is not level and the round bar hits the ground, usually just on one side, so you can't get the chain off. I have started carrying a shorter bar as well but that's not exactly safe.

Lounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Seems I mis-understood the original problem. You meant when your trailer is higher than you TV sloping up. I stayed in a few sites like that, where my trailer tires were 1-1.5 FT above my TV rear tire if you drew a straight level line. When I had a TT here is what I did.

Get into position for the site and lined up on level ground. Dis-engage the bars and sway control. Now the rear is sagging a bit but unhitching is easier since I don't have to crank up the TV and TT to ease the pressure off the bars. Now position the TT in the site and check for side to side level only.

Once I got it level chock the wheels, get back in the TV and while holding down the brake pedal shift to N then back to P. Now release the brake and the TV usually will move about 1-2" and set my TT in the chocks and eleviate the pressure on the ball. Now I position the blocks and raise the front of the TT. If the ball hangs up I repeat the process with the brake. I have found that if you release the brake while doing this the TV will move 3-4" and pull on the front of the hitch too much.

I used x-chocks after getting the unit level front to back as a double measure. You should not use them until the unit is completely level. It will damage your axels as you raise or lower the unit.

If your in the opposite situation where the TT is lower than the TV then the boards usually will get you close enough but check your tension on the bars on level ground again as the pressure will increase as the units level out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
X3 on chocking the wheels before unhooking. Hard to stop a runaway TT. Don't ask me how I know.
How do you know?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
How do you know?
HA HA Got busy putting boards under low sid tires and forgot to chock. Chased a TT down hill a few feet. Lucky site had tire bumper or TT would have been in lake

jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote