Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

Used 23b

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2006 jayco 23b I'm moving up from a pop up. After having to replace the floor in the pop up I know how important it is to do a thorough inspection of the hybrid. I have checked every corner and section of the entire camper and everything seems to be rock solid the camper seems to be in excellent condition. I have read online were there was problems with the 2005 -2007 models with the TPO ROOF leaking . I was curious to know if any one on this forum had any problems with their roof and what I should look for also how can I find out if any warranty work has beven done on the camper also if there is any other problems I should look for with this particular year and model.
lonewolf.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Only thing I have heard about the roof, in that era the roofs are flat, and the weight of the ac would sag the roof a bit, so the condensation water, would pool around the ac. And if the ac seal was loose, water could leak in.

I would pull of the ac cover on the inside and look for water penetration around the ac seal.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Jagiven nailed what happened to my 19h. And since this is a maintenance item insurance will not pay. I'm in the process (several months now because of weather and laziness) of replacing the roof, front half of the floor, front wall and front hybrid bed. When I redid the frame of the roof I made center have about 1" arch to help with water.

I like the hybrid setup because I can take the small footprint trailer up to the mountains in Colorado in the tight turns and gravel hills without trouble. If not for this I would go with something that is larger.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

OK I will remove the inside ac cover and inspect it, so if the proper maintenance was done than it should be fine?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #5

Now when you pull the inside cover this is what I want you to look at. When you look at the black gasket going around the perimeter of the AC unit you will see 4 yellow spacers that were the same thickness of the gasket when it was originally installed. That bolt you see( there are 4) need to be snugged down once or twice a year because that gasket keeps shrinking and if you don't do this then you'll develop a leak. When that yellow tab is approx. 50% larger than the gasket then it's a good time to change the gasket. Now if you look real close at the white rubber roof material that's folded over on the left hand side you'll see a light brown water mark and that staple also shows signs of rust well that's water intrusion. We must all be aware of this potential problem.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

When you replace the gasket(s) they all come in one packet it will look Like this before you set it back in place. On a scale of 1-10 this DIY is no more than a 2 and that's because it's a good idea to have a helper.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #7

Oh, one last thing, when you remove the white cover on the roof take some painters tape to outline the perimeter of the AC unit before you lift it off so when you set it back in place there will be little or no adjusting needed. Now you can do it by yourself!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #8

Tunce the traveler THANKS!! I now what to look for now I will let you know how everything looks Friday hopefully it will be be good so I can go ahead and pick it up.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

If it's the 2006 gasket its a must that you replace it ASAP. If it's a conscious owner he might have kept the receipt for it. Check the caulking around the sinks and get your flash light and check underneath the countertop around the sink. Do a search here for a PDI check list to take with you for a throw inspection walk through.
If the tent ends are open and your standing inside check very carefully where the tent ends are attached to the trailer on the left,top and right side and make sure that clear plastic strip with the screws in it is not split at the curve near in the upper left and right side. I think I have a pic of a split and if I do I'll post it.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Check out this split area on the tent ends at both left and right hand corners.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Sorry the pic is sideways but as you can see the rain will enter with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Spot on

I just joined this forum to look for some help with a leaking roof at the top front seam, rotted mattress platform, and for what your pictures demonstrate. I have splits in in the white plastic that attaches to the canvas and the J groove of the camper shell. Can this white plastic be replaced/repaired or does the entire canvas need to be replaced?
hntr4339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hntr4339 View Post
I just joined this forum to look for some help with a leaking roof at the top front seam, rotted mattress platform, and for what your pictures demonstrate. I have splits in in the white plastic that attaches to the canvas and the J groove of the camper shell. Can this white plastic be replaced/repaired or does the entire canvas need to be replaced?
I do not know how hard it is to replace this piece of plastic. I have been meaning to look for the part. My temporary fix this summer is working great, so, I do not think I will replace the plastic trim

I removed the screw(s) where the split was occurring. I added a small washer maybe a #8, and carefully screwed it back together pulling the tent back into place and squeezing the plastic trim, as I tightened it up. It worked fabulously, and was really easy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #14

If the bulk of the fabric is in good shape a boat awning shop could probably repair it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #15

If I remember the plastic is not available separately. Somewhat bad design but I don't know what material would last longer than the plastic.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote