Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
1. If you set up or pack up during a rainstorm, your bed is gonna get wet. Same problem with the popup.
I've got to disagree with this one...granted we've only been out 3 times in our 23B...but pretty much every time it has been raining during setup or takedown if not both! (Which I actually don't mind...makes me feel like the money we spent was worth it! )

Unless you have a habit of fully unzipping the windows prior to storage and you choose to setup/take down during a monsoon...you're simply not going to get that much water inside the bunkends during the 30 seconds it takes to drop the end and put in the brace. Granted this assumes there's two people, one inside and one out. But if it's only you...why bother to drop the ends in a monsoon?

Finally, the mattress are separate from the platforms; at least on our 23B and I assume all Jayco HTT. So what little water that might get in, is on the platforms. Easy enough to wipe up before putting down the mattress.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbles75 View Post
Our first camper was a used Starcraft hybrid. My wife researched campers and that is what she wanted. After about a year she decided she had made a mistake. Not only did she not like the hybrid but it had issues. We sold it at a loss. She wanted a different camper and the two things she wanted was a bigger fridge and a permanent bed. She was tired of the set up time on the hybrid. So we bought a new Jay Flight Swift 238rb. She loves it. The downside is that we can only tow it with our truck where as she could tow the hybrid with our Wrangler Unlimited.

That being said, there are many people that buy hybrids and love them. Everybody has their own tastes. Some people like driving compact cars and some want a lifted 4x4 truck. All that matters is what makes you happy.
X2 as my wife also believes we made a mistake in buying our 19H primarily because of the noise in the canvas bunk ends. Although the beds are VERY comfortable, the noise from outside is too much for use as we are light sleepers. As far as the rest of the HTT, we are very happy with it (good refrig., excellent stove and oven, good AC and heater, etc.). This summer will be a test run with our 19H as we are going to LIVE in it for two to two and one half months! Depending on how that goes, we will most likely get a vehicle that can pull a larger fully-enclosed TT (our current tow vehicle can only pull 4500#) and get something like a 28-32 ft. Jayco.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #23

One comment, rather question, about noise in a hybrid, I have to wonder where people camp that's so noisy at night? We have just never had this issue. We stay away from the "party" parks. No matter what you camp in, you don't get any sleep in those places. But the state parks, and the RV parks with better reputations that we've been to have all been really quiet at night. We love hearing the natural night noises, the breeze, birds and other animals. Very soothing.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #24

Why not get the hard sided pop out X213? 2015 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213 | Jayco, Inc.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
One comment, rather question, about noise in a hybrid, I have to wonder where people camp that's so noisy at night? We have just never had this issue. We stay away from the "party" parks. No matter what you camp in, you don't get any sleep in those places. But the state parks, and the RV parks with better reputations that we've been to have all been really quiet at night. We love hearing the natural night noises, the breeze, birds and other animals. Very soothing.
X2 And I might add the beds NEVER get wet when you fold up in the rain. Winter storms are great to watch on the Oregon coast so my Hybrid has been put through the wind and rain test several times and I'm always dry.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarrin View Post
X2 as my wife also believes we made a mistake in buying our 19H primarily because of the noise in the canvas bunk ends. Although the beds are VERY comfortable, the noise from outside is too much for use as we are light sleepers. As far as the rest of the HTT, we are very happy with it (good refrig., excellent stove and oven, good AC and heater, etc.). This summer will be a test run with our 19H as we are going to LIVE in it for two to two and one half months! Depending on how that goes, we will most likely get a vehicle that can pull a larger fully-enclosed TT (our current tow vehicle can only pull 4500#) and get something like a 28-32 ft. Jayco.
We just run the A/C on fan for white noise

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #27

After tent camping for a hundred years, our first camper was a Hybrid in 2011. We found that noise travels when your higher up off the ground. And no matter where you camp, you can get noisy neighbors that stay up later that you want. The rain was not an issue. I enjoyed the rain hitting the canvas just like being in a tent and water did not get in once set up. But after 2 seasons we decided a hard sided unit was better for us. Now we sleep much better..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
And no matter where you camp, you can get noisy neighbors that stay up later that you want.
I think it does matter where you camp. Sure we've had late night neighbors who sit up and talk until the wee hours. But we've found that's an exception.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #29

Quote:
I think it does matter where you camp. Sure we've had late night neighbors who sit up and talk until the wee hours. But we've found that's an exception.
Ok, it doesn't matter where I camp..My crystal ball don't tell me what my neighbors will be like
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 05-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #30

We sold our '08 19H for a fully-enclosed (28DSBH).

Quality of sleep was a big factor. We don't stay in "party campgrounds" and could hear people quietly talking at their campfires. Running the fan/AC did help. Getting fully enclosed with a regular queen bed has helped immensely.

After a long drive, don't underestimate the importance of a good sleep!

The biggest factor for considering a hybrid is probably tow-ability. That factor went away when bought our pick-up.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Ok, it doesn't matter where I camp..My crystal ball don't tell me what my neighbors will be like
I hear what your saying, but I find it hard to believe that it's that common. We just don't run into that many issues with noisy neighbors. We avoid the places we know we'd have issues. Again, that's why I question where people camp. I don't know what state you're in, but in WI State Parks, the rangers don't tolerate after hours noise.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #32

Quote:
I hear what your saying, but I find it hard to believe that it's that common. We just don't run into that many issues with noisy neighbors. We avoid the places we know we'd have issues. Again, that's why I question where people camp. I don't know what state you're in, but in WI State Parks, the rangers don't tolerate after hours noise.
I'm in NY..That may be the problem

But like somebody else said, even quiet talking was an issue for us. I think its being higher up. I like a lot of things about the hybrids, it just wasnt for us
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 05-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm in NY..That may be the problem
I wish loud campers were the only problem with NY.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #34

There's also a privacy issue. If you can hear them, they can hear you. Another downside of the hybrid for us that that we like to sight see. When were on vacation we don't sit in the campground. We are on the go. I wouldn't feel safe leaving all day and possibly into the night with the tent ends out. I know any TT can be broken into but it's easier to cut a tent end with a knife and climb in. Same issue with my wife camping alone. I feel better with her in a hard sided trailer.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #35

I'd say it all comes down to what type of camping you are going to be doing. We do quick trips mostly on weekends and are around the camper most of the time. The noise has not been as big an issue as I thought it was going to be. If you like tent camping but want to get up off of the ground and have all the modern amenities, then a hybrid is for you.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #36

After a day's slate of activity which may include hiking, biking and/or paddling in addition to making meals and then cleaning up afterwards, falling asleep would be like flipping a switch, at least for me. We tend to have white noise from bunk fans incidentally serving to neutralize noise from adjacent sites.

That said, one size does not always fit all.
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:49 AM   #37

I don't get it. Camping is all about the OUTDOORS. Hearing birds, rain, wind, and sure, the occasional neighboring camper next door is what it's all about. If I needed complete peace, I'd be sleeping in a hotel, or simply staying home.

I must be one of those rare few that enjoy sleeping in the hybrid and listening to the world around me outdoors.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #38

This is one of those topics that will never reach consensus, just get a beer and popcorn and take it all in. I agree with the pros n cons that everyone posted (and will continue to post). For us it was the combination of the short towed length (24') vs available inside space (2 queen beds), light weight, simplicity and relative low buy-in. We loved the "tent" aspect.
That said, after 2yrs we traded for the 39' 5th and wouldn't go back.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #39

So where did twodogs603 go? I'm curious to know if any decisions have been reached.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
PS: those rules apply in Acadia NP (Maine), Great Smoky Mt NP, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rocky Mt. NP, Glacier NP, Yosemite NP, and many more I haven't been to.
Yosemite? Better update your map!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote