Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #61

As as you can see from my signature we have a tent trailer. The only problem we ever experienced regarding the safety of our child was once when he was a toddler he rolled up against the side and his legs partially slipped out of the tent portion because we forgot to secure the canvas bungees to the hooks under the bed. As others have said, in any camper you hear all ~ including his screams as he was hanging there! ;-)

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irks73 View Post
I hear ya! That's what I told the wife. I'm not worried about it I like the hybrids so I guess I will have visit the dealer and see which one is best for our needs. FYI we've both been tent camping for the last 15-20 years, that's why I like the idea of the hybrids.
We LOVED our Coleman (still own it) but it wasn't for year-around use and it wasn't always easy to fully dry the canvas before closing it - so after 30 years, we matured to something that was warmer and dryer! We continue to be 'happy campers'.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #63

We had a tent camper for about 6 years, and camped mostly in state and federal parks.

The only bad moment we ever had was a bear "snuffling" around our campsite one night. I few tense moments there... that's when we decided to go to a hard sided trailer. If you camp a lot in bear country (Great Smokey Mountain National Park is where we had our encounter), it's worth thinking about.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We had a tent camper for about 6 years, and camped mostly in state and federal parks.

The only bad moment we ever had was a bear "snuffling" around our campsite one night. I few tense moments there... that's when we decided to go to a hard sided trailer. If you camp a lot in bear country (Great Smokey Mountain National Park is where we had our encounter), it's worth thinking about.
That's one good point. In fact, it should be noted that some campgrounds in Yellowstone don't allow tents or tent trailers. This includes pop-ups and HTT with the beds out. However, I think you can use a HTT if you leave the beds up. This is known as "turttling" <sp?>

So if you want to camp in bear country often, consider a regular TT.

Otherwise consider a HTT you can successfully sleep your family in while turtled. Bears aren't the only reason to do so. You might want to do it while stopped overnight at a rest area or parking lot.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #65

Love our x23j. Bought it used and in great condition. Love the openess of it with bunk ends down and unzipped. Biggest drawback that I see is privacy within, as for changing clothes and such. But most of the time, it will be just the DW and I. When not camping we have it next to the house and use as a 3 season room. Brother-in- law had a hardside trailer, no slideout. Felt like we were in a tin box. With the slideout out and the bunk ends down it is quite roomy.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #66

We loved our X19H though I should have bought the X23 from the Get Go (slide and extra inside storage makes a huge difference) but still it was an awesome little trailer and miss it already.

We loved sleeping under the canvas and will miss that option since we went to the Dark Side moving to a hard side TT.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #67

We really enjoy traveling with our x17z but will agree with others that a slide out would be nice. What we really want is a unit with a walk around bed up front and the hybrid bunk in the back for when the kids and grandkids join us. Along with a slide and I'd be in heaven on wheels. Maybe someday?
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #68

What are you meaning by "TV"? I assume not television.
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #69

Tow vehicle, in my case a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a factory tow package. That's why we love the hybrid, roomy but light.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by robp View Post
We are new to this, our X18D is our first camper.

Our family is loving it and I know we made the right decision when this weekend we were watching a program on mega luxury RVs and my 7 year old daughter said she wouldn't like them as when she's camping she wants to feel like she's camping!
X2.
We love our HTT coming from a pup I don't think it's any louder inside at night. We enjoy the increased privacy, ease of set up, and the ability to load up without setup. I agree the HTT isn't for everyone but as a family we choose to camp to leave the electronics(wont hear us complain about cg wifi speeds) at home and enjoy camping. So I guess when you make your decision it needs to be what works best for your situation. But the most important thing is whatever you choose will be weeks of memories and quality family time
Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #71

So We have settled on the 23b..yay!!! I have a couple questions though...
1- I plan to do some winter camping so is it worth getting the enclosed underbelly
2- does anyone have one with the new electronic sway control? Is that worth it?
3- any other ideas you guys can add would be appreciated
Thanks! We can't wait to pick up our new HTT
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #72

Quote:
1- I plan to do some winter camping so is it worth getting the enclosed underbelly
1) I think I would save my money and install aftermarket heating pads and heat traces instead. The enclosed underbelly is not very effective, and even when heat is ducted to the underbelly, and it only works when the heater is on. If in storage, it can still ruin everything.

2) I think you are better off with a conventional WDH with SC IMO.

3) Tire pressure monitoring system has saved more than one persons bacon on this forum. Progressive Industries energy management system\ surge protection is a must have. A back up camera system can be a big help.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. You have come to the right place. Lots of knowledgeable people willing to share their experiences.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #73

Quote:
I don't have your model but their similar on the rear bunk and I made steps for Tunces so she doesn't have to jump in or out and it's real easy for the grand kids too.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #74

Smile

Quote:
Congratulations!
We have an X17z and don't have the enclosed underbelly. Haven't had an issue.
We originally towed with a 2008 Ford Escape that had the V-6 and towing package. It was the top end of what that little rig could tow, but with the WD hitch, electric trailer brake and the friction sway control bar, we never had an issue. We've since moved up to an F-150 and I still use the same hitch system.
Pop up Gizmos are great for colder weather camping. They go over your bunk ends and help keep the warm air in and out depending on the outside temp. They also have a newer product to insulate your bunk end sides, during cold weather.
Have fun!
AskewDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #75

Congratulations! I can't add anything to what others have already answered, they covered it well.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #76

Not sure where Plainfield is located, my gut says you are in the Midwest. How cold do you call winter camping? If you are in the upper Midwest, the 23B might not be the right rig, for winter camping. If you are in the southern states, you’d be ok. We have been out in the low 20’s without issue without an enclosed underbelly or any special setup. I’d be concerned about the water pipes along the back wall freezing up in really cold weather. Pop a little hole in the heat duct within the wall, and it might provide enough warmth to avoid freeze issues. Personally, if I was taking my unit out when very cold, I would use it dry. No water in the pipes or down the drain. 5 gallon jug of water, and dish pans poured out, outside.
I do find the outside edge of the bunks cool when the outside temps are in the low 20’s. We use aftermarket heated mattress pads, they are great in cooler weather. We do not use PUGs, I am sure they would help, and reduce some of the cold weather condensation on the canvas.

As others said, add your own aftermarket tank heaters and heat trace on the sewer piping, if you want running water in the cold weather.

As for the enclosed underbelly, I think all it is plastic corrugated sheeting, I do not think there is any additional insulation.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote