Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Warning about sleeping on the x23b dinette.

Let me set the picture of my problem.
I pulled in real late to the campground on a cold dark fall night. To tired to set up camp, I leveled and blocked the wheels and went to sleep on the dinette/bed.
The next morning I finished the job and sat down at the table to eat my breakfast only to find the table was warped long ways. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and about 245 lbs. I got down to take a look with the table in place ,to find the table is a inch from touching the floor. The fold out beds a rated for a 1000 lbs.
How can I make this dinette/bed hold half this weight? Thank folk for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
The Camping Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

I share your concerns. To date we have only used the U dinette bed for grandchildren.

My plan is to use screws and glue to add two light(er) gauge steel angle or channel pieces to the underside of my table. Notching the stock at each end so it sits on the OEM table support cleats will put enough load on the angles to provide more support for the press board table top. Be certain to round or angle the standing leg cuts to help to keep knees from being hurt.

Selecting the stock presents a bit of challenge. It needs to be strong enough, but not so deep that it interferes with users while in table mode. That is one reason to consider a channel rather than a more simple angle shape.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

What he said ^^^^. My table has two strips of channeled metal underneath to provide it with some strength.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

We found the table sagging I think just due to its own weight. I made a center support from two closet flanges and a section of PVC. It was not attached on top or bottom but just pushed under the table when it was in the "stowed" position. I cut it to stand a bit tall to help reverse the droop. The whole thing seemed flimsy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies and solutions. My first thoughts on this problem was to put support under the legs. Still not a bad idea for any weight on the table when it's in the down / bed position. This is a terrible design. I'm thinking 1 inch steel square tubing may help straighten the metal on the oem table. And rubber capping the ends. Then beefing up the seats boards from 3/8 to 5/8 . Me kneeling on them makes them bow a little to much. I also took notice of other post about rebuilding the dinette for more basement storage and led lighting under there.

Again Thanks for the suggestions.
The Camping Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #6

Table

We have the same problem but not as severe. We use the table bed when going turtle. Currently using a sheet of 3/4 in plywood under the cushions and a support under the table. We have a 3 inch thick pad of memory foam on top of the cushions. It's very comfortable.
Bob

2011 X23B
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

That table is horrible we use plywood cut to fit and a stabilizer then store it behind sofa until needed. We use fold out tray tables to eat inside or play games when weather is bad. Table is too heavy but not sturdy enough for sleeping.
#campingamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #8

I made four small blocks with recessed holes that sit under the feet of the table when it's stored. That way, the table feet are not free floating in the air but are supported all the way to the floor. I store the table with the blocks and when used as a sleeper, it doesn't bow.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:49 AM   #9

After reading the various fixes I kinda like the additional cut to fit 3/4-inch plyboard top. I did this same thing on my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer as I was noticing the tent bed was sort of flimsy under the weight of the two of us...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote