Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Water flow valve positions

I just purchased a used 19h Hybrid....love it so far!! On our first venture out we hooked up to the site water. We were unable to figure out why there was no hot water, gas or electric. I checked the water valves under the dinette seat. and noticed a pink substance in the left side of the water line. I then turned the three valves every which way until water flowed. Still no hot water. Someone mentioned on site that one of the the valves did not seem correct when attempting to turn open or close. possibly locked open or closed? At this point I'm not sure what position these flow valves should be in. Can someone verify from this photo to what I need to change to be correct?
Attached Thumbnails
20160716_203018.jpg  
radgumb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

The way your valves are currently, all three horizontal is for winterizing. In order to fill the water heater and eventually get hot water they all need to be vertical. If you had the valves as they are currently and turned it on electric you probably burned out the electric element since the tank was empty.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

It looks like the valves are now in bypass mode. Flip all 3, and they should be in operating mode (see pic below for a typical 3-valve bypass).

If the hot water tank was not full when you operated the electric element, you may have unfortunately burned it up. But I believe the gas should still work.

If you didn't fill the tank already, you need to remove it from bypass mode. Make sure you water pressure (either city hookup or have the pump turned on). Then I would go outside and allow air to escape using the pressure relief valve. Once it is full, then turn the gas on, and see if you get hot water.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

I always think of it as the valves have to be "in line" with the pipes for the water to flow....If the valve is crossing the pipe, the water is cutoff.
boubay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

The pink solution you're seeing is antifreeze. You'll need to flush all that out. I would suggest getting your valves in the 'normal use' position then initiate water pressure by either pump or city hookup as described in Jason's post #3. Once all the air is relieved from the hot water tank via the pressure relief valve, you'll need to close the relief valve then go inside and open all the faucets for a bit to flush all that pink antifreeze out of the system. If you plan on using the on board fresh water tank, be sure to sanitize the tank and system as described in other threads you'll find here. Bad stuff in the tank can make you seriously ill.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

This may be the pic Jason has on his post but I can't see it for some reason! LOL
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgumb0 View Post
I just purchased a used 19h Hybrid....love it so far!! On our first venture out we hooked up to the site water. We were unable to figure out why there was no hot water, gas or electric. I checked the water valves under the dinette seat. and noticed a pink substance in the left side of the water line. I then turned the three valves every which way until water flowed. Still no hot water. Someone mentioned on site that one of the the valves did not seem correct when attempting to turn open or close. possibly locked open or closed? At this point I'm not sure what position these flow valves should be in. Can someone verify from this photo to what I need to change to be correct?
That would make me think you did not dewinterize. While that's a separate issue, it is something you need to do before you think about using the water. You need to dewinterize and sanitize the water system at the beginning of the season.

I have a 19H and once the water tank is full and I have turned on the water pump it does take some time to fill the tank before you can turn on the water heater. If you're using site water like it sounds like you are you still need to make sure to wait to fill the water heater (and part of dewinterizing would be to drain antifreeze from the water heater and ensure the drain plug is in securely).

There is also a valve you have to switch under the cabinet to the right of the refrigerator. That's actually where you winterize. There's 2 valves there. If I remember correctly only 1 needs to be moved. It's the one that's hard to reach kind of behind everything to the right.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote