Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Water heater - leave it on while camping?

When I went through my dealer orientation for our new-to-us 2013 X17Z, the person doing the orientation said I shouldn't leave the electric water heater on the whole time we're camping. She said that instead we should turn it on when we get to the campsite for 20-30 minutes, and then turn it off until we're using hot water. When we're using hot water, she said, we should turn it on to replace the hot water, and then turn it off afterward. This really didn't seem right to me. Is that how all of you do it?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

I turn on the electric when I setup camp. I leave it on until we break down and get ready to leave. I turn on the propane in addition to the electric before shower time just for a quicker recovery time.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I turn on the electric when I setup camp. I leave it on until we break down and get ready to leave. I turn on the propane in addition to the electric before shower time just for a quicker recovery time.
This is what I do too.

To the OP, the only 2 times I can think of when you want to be careful about running your water heater is if you run your tanks dry. If your water heater were to run out of water, you'd fry the heating element... and the other obvious one is if you are off grid trying to conserve your 'energy' sources. Other than that, I don't view using my hot water in the camper any differently than my hot water tank at home, it's always on.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
When I went through my dealer orientation for our new-to-us 2013 X17Z, the person doing the orientation said I shouldn't leave the electric water heater on the whole time we're camping. She said that instead we should turn it on when we get to the campsite for 20-30 minutes, and then turn it off until we're using hot water. When we're using hot water, she said, we should turn it on to replace the hot water, and then turn it off afterward. This really didn't seem right to me. Is that how all of you do it?
That's the water heaters job...it turns on when we use hot water, and off when we don't. Unless really cold outside, it rarely comes on when not in use.

I don't turn our water off at the post when were not using it either, or the propane.

I do turn our water off at home when were on the road...if you ever saw the results of a pipe bursting and running for a few days, you would never leave home with the water on again..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Thanks, everyone. That explanation from the dealer didn't make any sense at the time, but I followed her directions the first time I camped. As a result, when I took a shower I only had lukewarm water. If I'm paying the money for a camper, I want hot water!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

I turn mine on and leave it on.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Leave it on for a day or a year. Only time I might turn mine off is if I went somewhere for a day trip. Then I would turn the water off also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I don't turn our water off at the post when were not using it either, or the propane.

I do turn our water off at home when were on the road...if you ever saw the results of a pipe bursting and running for a few days, you would never leave home with the water on again..
Isn't that a contradiction in philosophy?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

We turn our electric on when we're setting up, and off when we're tearing down. The only time we used propane was at one campground with older infrastructure, and having the electric water heater and air conditioning on at the same time blew the pedestal breaker. We were about to talk to the office about it when DW saw a message posted in the campground saying that if this happens, turn your electric water heater off. Okay, no problem. We switched it to propane for the rest of our stay there. It wasn't a big deal for us.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #10

At our seasonal site, we turn it on when we arrive (electric) and it's on the whole time we're there, whether it be a weekend or an entire week or longer. We shut it off when we leave. Since we're connected all the time, I don't use the propane for hot water, but I do test it occasionally throughout the camping season.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

This is one of those "depends" topics.
We boondock A LOT!!! So in the interest of conserving consumables we have learned some lessons over the years. Generally, we look at how long we will be camping. Generally, like the refrigerator, we use the electric and pre-heat the water at the house while it is plugged in. On the road, everything is off until we get to the campsite, then we turn the water heater back on using propane to ensure the water is hot. At a campsite while boondocking we do not use the electric option of the water heater because of the battery draw. If we are at a campground/campsite with hookups, then it is on all the time (in electric mode).
When operating on gas we always shut down at night and turn on first thing in the morning. After breakfast and dishes we turn it back off again. While cooking dinner, we turn it on, and once dishes are done we turn it off.
Of course if we are going to be bathing or washing up, then we will turn it on for about 10 minutes before we do so and turn it off when done.
Like you, we bought this thing so if we take a shower; we want that shower hot (even if we are taking a "navy" shower). So a little planning goes a long way.

Times have changed and things are convenient with the options for electric and/or gas, and being able to just flip a switch. Who remembers the old RVs where you had to turn the gas on and light the pilot light on the water heater AND the refrigerator once you got to the campsite?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

For the sake of knowledge and the story, I recently completed a 7 day hunt with the RV completely off the grid wherein night temperatures dropped down below 30 degrees. Do to a mishap which resulted in a flooded generator we were not able to get the generator started (which was on day 4). Nevertheless, through highly disciplined and judicious use of power, water, and propane, we managed the whole time on nothing but battery power and the batteries never dropped below 2/3 according the control panel.
The stupidity on my part was wanting one of two things for the generator. Either a can of starting fluid or a spark plug wrench (of the correct size, because I have on in the trucks tool kit). Turns out, once we got home and I decided to tackle the generator, all it needed was either the starting fluid or the spark plug wrench to clean the spark plug. After looking in the TT tool kit (which I looked in while at camp) there was a spark plug wrench for the generator there. I can't figure out why I didn't see it up there at the hunt camp.
Even though the battery power lasted, we just wanted to run the generator so we could run the RV heater in order to dry some boots and clothes out. Without the generator, we don't dare run the RV heater when we are staying that long.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Hey Gunny - that's a "sea shower". We Coasties would NEVER take a "navy shower" !
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Hey Gunny - that's a "sea shower". We Coasties would NEVER take a "navy shower" !
lmao. Coasties? Navy Shower? I always heard the Coasties were nicknamed the "Shallow Water Navy". lol
Old 10-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
... At a campsite while boondocking we do not use the electric option of the water heater because of the battery draw. ...
Just for the record it is not possible to use the electric option when on battery. There is no 12V heating element in the water heater.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just for the record it is not possible to use the electric option when on battery. There is no 12V heating element in the water heater.
Wow, thank you. In all my years of working with RV's I just learned something I probably should have put together and known a long time ago. I was aware that the electric heating element was 110VAC. I was aware that both propane and electric can be used together while plugged in to decrease reheat time. For some reason it never clicked in my grey matter that the electric heating element would not work on battery. Probably because the lighted switch lights up whenever the electric switch is turned on whether the RV is plugged in or on battery. I feel kind of foolish.... lol
Old 10-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

12VDC is required for the HWH control board whether using the propane or electric heating elements. But when the converter is powered it supplies the 12VDC.
Fridge and furnace operate the same way. Of course the furnace only heats using propane.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Wow, thank you. In all my years of working with RV's I just learned something I probably should have put together and known a long time ago. I was aware that the electric heating element was 110VAC. I was aware that both propane and electric can be used together while plugged in to decrease reheat time. For some reason it never clicked in my grey matter that the electric heating element would not work on battery. Probably because the lighted switch lights up whenever the electric switch is turned on whether the RV is plugged in or on battery. I feel kind of foolish.... lol

Don't feel foolish, I just figured you might have an inverter, based on how much boondocking you do. So when you said you don't like running the electric water heater it made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Don't feel foolish, I just figured you might have an inverter, based on how much boondocking you do. So when you said you don't like running the electric water heater it made sense.

I don't have an inverter. Using an inverter to power things like the television or other electrical appliance draws to much on the batteries.