Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Water heater - leave it on while camping?

When I went through my dealer orientation for our new-to-us 2013 X17Z, the person doing the orientation said I shouldn't leave the electric water heater on the whole time we're camping. She said that instead we should turn it on when we get to the campsite for 20-30 minutes, and then turn it off until we're using hot water. When we're using hot water, she said, we should turn it on to replace the hot water, and then turn it off afterward. This really didn't seem right to me. Is that how all of you do it?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

I turn on the electric when I setup camp. I leave it on until we break down and get ready to leave. I turn on the propane in addition to the electric before shower time just for a quicker recovery time.

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I turn on the electric when I setup camp. I leave it on until we break down and get ready to leave. I turn on the propane in addition to the electric before shower time just for a quicker recovery time.
This is what I do too.

To the OP, the only 2 times I can think of when you want to be careful about running your water heater is if you run your tanks dry. If your water heater were to run out of water, you'd fry the heating element... and the other obvious one is if you are off grid trying to conserve your 'energy' sources. Other than that, I don't view using my hot water in the camper any differently than my hot water tank at home, it's always on.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
When I went through my dealer orientation for our new-to-us 2013 X17Z, the person doing the orientation said I shouldn't leave the electric water heater on the whole time we're camping. She said that instead we should turn it on when we get to the campsite for 20-30 minutes, and then turn it off until we're using hot water. When we're using hot water, she said, we should turn it on to replace the hot water, and then turn it off afterward. This really didn't seem right to me. Is that how all of you do it?
That's the water heaters job...it turns on when we use hot water, and off when we don't. Unless really cold outside, it rarely comes on when not in use.

I don't turn our water off at the post when were not using it either, or the propane.

I do turn our water off at home when were on the road...if you ever saw the results of a pipe bursting and running for a few days, you would never leave home with the water on again..
Old 10-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks, everyone. That explanation from the dealer didn't make any sense at the time, but I followed her directions the first time I camped. As a result, when I took a shower I only had lukewarm water. If I'm paying the money for a camper, I want hot water!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

I turn mine on and leave it on.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Leave it on for a day or a year. Only time I might turn mine off is if I went somewhere for a day trip. Then I would turn the water off also.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I don't turn our water off at the post when were not using it either, or the propane.

I do turn our water off at home when were on the road...if you ever saw the results of a pipe bursting and running for a few days, you would never leave home with the water on again..
Isn't that a contradiction in philosophy?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

We turn our electric on when we're setting up, and off when we're tearing down. The only time we used propane was at one campground with older infrastructure, and having the electric water heater and air conditioning on at the same time blew the pedestal breaker. We were about to talk to the office about it when DW saw a message posted in the campground saying that if this happens, turn your electric water heater off. Okay, no problem. We switched it to propane for the rest of our stay there. It wasn't a big deal for us.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

At our seasonal site, we turn it on when we arrive (electric) and it's on the whole time we're there, whether it be a weekend or an entire week or longer. We shut it off when we leave. Since we're connected all the time, I don't use the propane for hot water, but I do test it occasionally throughout the camping season.