Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Water leak through AC when running

I'm trying to find a water leak after the first use on my 2009 23B. It only leaks when running so it's not rain water or anything else.

So I hace a couple thoughts on the cause.

1. I took off the inside filter panel and noticed a duct tape look deal that comes down from fan wheel to inside plastic housing. It didn't look like it was installed right and was letting cold air blow onto the inside coils.

2. Drain plugs are clogged. But...I can't find where water should drain out. I have the top cap off and see a plastic pan of sorts that the inside coil sits in. I don't see drain holes in it. I also poured some water in there and it doesn't go anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Nevermind. I found the drains. What a crappy design. The only goog way I could see to clean it was to slip it out from under the coil so that's what I did. Then took it into the sink and cleaned it real good. Put it back in the camper poured some water in it and out the water drained.

Should be ready for the next camping trip.

Even though nobody relied to the post, just posting here gave me the moral support I needed to keep working at it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #3

Did you happen to take pictures of the drain? It would be handy to add that to my spring checklist to be sure all is well.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

No, now that would have been a good idea.

It sits right in front of the wheel fan that blows air into the unit. Front bring towards front of camper. The inside coil sits right on top of it and the drain holes are at each end. If they are only slightly gunked you might be able to blow compressed air at them to clean up, but mine hole tray was pretty dirty.

You have to take off the plastic ac cover, then you have to remove the top and side metal panels covering the inside coil an wheel fan. If your careful there is enough play in the coil connections to lift it up enough to slide the drain tray out from underneath.

On thing I would caution is do not just try poking through the drain holes with anything. At least not with any force. It drains right over the rubber roof and you wouldn't want to puncture it.

More frequent cleaning would probably help prevent going to the length I did, but time will tell.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

I found a picture of it. This is a bottom view of it. Each of the round white deals on each end are the drain holes.
Attached Thumbnails
8333150.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #6

This is the part I still need to figure out how it supposed to be installed.

The is the blower fan hole you can see if you remove the filter cover. The black strip is tape that isn't to awful sticky anymore and I'm not sure it's installed right. The back could go on the inside for all I know. A friend removed it before I could see which way it was to start.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0107.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg   IMG_0109.jpg   IMG_0110.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the post tsduke03. I have a new 23B but that doesn't mean I won't have some of these concerns down the line.
Equal-izer 6K
Campin' Muds is offline   Reply With Quote