Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Water pump works on 110 volts but not 12 volts

Well, thanks to this board I got my 12 volt issue fixed. Now another curious one has popped up. The water pump works fine when plugged into 110 volts, but won't run on 12 volt alone. The lights work on 12 volts, but not the water pump.

It seems like maybe the converter is not sending the correct voltage out when 12 volts is the only source. I would imagine the lights would handle this better than a motor.

Thoughts?
Mnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

It sounds like a dead battery.
Use a volt meter and check the input voltage at the pump when using the battery.
Contact Shurflo for more information.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
It sounds like a dead battery.
Use a volt meter and check the input voltage at the pump when using the battery.
I just put a new battery in, and it reads 12 volts on my meter.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

Check the wiring.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnstar View Post
Well, thanks to this board I got my 12 volt issue fixed. Now another curious one has popped up. The water pump works fine when plugged into 110 volts, but won't run on 12 volt alone. The lights work on 12 volts, but not the water pump.

It seems like maybe the converter is not sending the correct voltage out when 12 volts is the only source. I would imagine the lights would handle this better than a motor.

Thoughts?
You say that your meter reads 12 volts. A fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts or better. Check both leads and terminals on your battery. Your converter is powering the pump when hooked to 120 AC. Your battery is powering it when shore power is unhooked. There almost has to be an issue with either your battery ground or hot wires. Make sure that you have the battery hooked up properly. Hot to hot, negative to ground.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

After reading your other post regarding hooking up your new battery. As was discovered, you had a lot of sparking when you hooked it up initially.
Find and check your converter. Many converters have fuses in them. Many have more than one.
When people hook up batteries to the wrong polarities they will often blow the inline fuse or trip a breaker on their electrical panel. Sometimes the fuse(s) in the converter will blow. This will allow for power to work normally when hooked to shore power and then not work on battery.
If your converter has two fuses and you blew one, you may have working lights but other items won't work on battery.
Just to be clear. Locate the actual converter. Not the fuse/circuit breaker panel. The converter is usually behind the panel and requires you to remove the panel from the wall so you can look behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

Turns out it was a bad battery. Thanks for the help.