Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I am currently reading a book called "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed about backpacking the PCT thru California.

It is interesting but I have NO dreams of ever doing a hike like that.
I read it a while back (borrowed it from DW). It's a pretty good read. She was totally unprepared for that journey. Both physically and emotionally. I found myself shaking my head at her repeatedly. Luckily the entire point was emotional repair (which many would argue requires a complete disassembly and rebuild), but it makes it VERY difficult when you're not physically prepared, and you have completely unrealistic expectations about what "trail life" is like.

People who haven't done it think "it's easy! It's just walking right?" But people who have done it have a much healthier respect.

Sorry to be getting off topic OP!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Sorry to be getting off topic OP!
No worries!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #23

Planning to reduce unnecessary weight is smart, but don't over think the subject and take out useful items. Unless you are planning a longer trip, a trip to a state park 50 miles from home isn't going to cause you to blow up if your 300 or so lbs overweight. I clear out my outside storage bin each fall before our long trip to the warm south. When I reload, I purge extra tools, equipment or camping stuff I didn't use the last trip. Otherwise if weight is an issue go light on food and drinks bringing just enough for the first nite and plan a trip to wally world to stock up. Several kids and a couple adults can go thru several cases of soft drinks and adult beverages over a long weekend. Save the weight and buy local. but for shorter trips all this is a lot less important. Its still a good idea to have the kids pack one small duffle and you don't need multi bikes, etc unless that is something that will really be used. When weight is tight, you need to make sacrifices but don't leave out stuff that make it fun or convienent.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Me too! Still have all my gear. I even did a little update on a bunch of it a few years ago because DW and I were going to backpack as our "camping" outings. (That lasted exactly 2 trips, and here we are with a HUGE travel trailer, but that's a different story.)

Anyway, every now and again, the trail calls to me. For now, I'm just "holding it in", but when my son gets a bit older, I will have a backpacking buddy! All my gear will be ready and waiting for that day! And DW has already volunteered to keep the trailer warm/cool for us while we're out on the trails!
Years ago, I'm talking early twenties, a buddy of mine and me were trying to plan a trip to Everest base camp...no further. Came no where close to doing it. It was extremely expensive and that killed our dream of it right there. The airfare alone was 5 times the amount we had saved LOL. But it was an awesome dream. We still talk about going packing all the time. I remember one time, in the Catoctin mts. , we had to hike in from the parking lot about 4 miles to the first shelter. It was at the summit of Gapland or Hemlock Gorge.. can't remember. But anyway, the cloud bank was so thick on the drive to the parking lot, I had to hang my head out the truck window and guide my buddy (driving) by the white line on the edge of the road. "A little left...ok straight...little right" @ 5 mph. When we finally found the lot, we had to tie off to each other or we'd lose one another...that's how thick it was. The best way I've found to describe it is, it was like sticking your head in a bowl of milk and opening your eyes. Although the hike was only 4 miles (3.8 to be exact), it took us 3 1/2 hours do to the cloud bank. We checked our GPS and figured we were on top of the shelter but couldn't find it. We looked for an hour. Decided to bed down where we were and we'd find the shelter the next day. When we woke, it was a clear beautiful day and the shelter was literally 25ft from us. The area we camped was Burkittsvile (prior to The Blair Witch movie). When we got home from that trip is when we saw advertisement for that movie. Freaked us a tad..lol
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #25

How about putting your x17z spare tire on the rear bumper of the trailer. Jayco has done exactly that with the new hybrids. Same unit just mounted on the back.Will take a lot off the hitch weight.
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoNArizona View Post
How about putting your x17z spare tire on the rear bumper of the trailer. Jayco has done exactly that with the new hybrids. Same unit just mounted on the back.Will take a lot off the hitch weight.
That's a very interesting idea. That would certainly open up some payload weight in our TV. Problem is that I can't imagine how I would do that. I'm not sure it would fit under the bunk end when the bunk is down.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
That's a very interesting idea. That would certainly open up some payload weight in our TV. Problem is that I can't imagine how I would do that. I'm not sure it would fit under the bunk end when the bunk is down.
Doesn't look like yours is too much different than our 16XRB -
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160903_183254.jpg  
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #28

Not sure about the older models but the 2016 and 2017 X17Z have a welded and bolted rear bumper. Jayco started mounting the spares on all of their Hybrids there. Camping World among other vendor's sell a bracket to mount spare tires back there. Some brackets I've seen even fold down with the tire attached after pulling a pin. I suppose that's so one can put a bunk down or make it easier to change a tire. Thinking of doing this on my X19H.
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #29

Only thing I don't like about my hybrid is having to source my water on location, it created a real issue on my last trip. I assumed the back country spot had water because I asked and they said YES only problem is it was being pumped by a teeny tiny remote pump with no spigot hookup. I ended up driving back into town at 9pm and getting setup late.
Now I usually carry 15 gallons in the back of my pickup in 3 x 5gl jugs so I don't have to chase water, its a little tricky pouring it by yourself I need to rig a funnel arrangement.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #30

Maybe Im overthinking the water, not sure. 8LBs per gallon is a lot of weight, Im a professional aquarium guy so I know a lot about weight, water damage, toting, and pouring.

Just not comfortable toting that much water/weight from 3/4 of the way across Minnesota.