Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Ways to save weight

Something I've been thinking about today, as it's a situation that will likely come up soon for me...

My wife is adamant that one of the ways our kids (12 and 14) will enjoy camping in our new (to us) X17Z more is if they get to bring a friend along. I get this idea, but, as many of you know, when you have an X17Z you have to be a "weight nazi". I only have 100 to 150 lbs of payload room remaining in the TV when it's just me and my family, and there's only about 450 lbs remaining in the camper when it's empty. If you add an extra kid or two to the vehicle, you're actually over the limit in the TV. I don't have a problem with being 50 lbs or so over in the TV, but it would mean I wouldn't be able to put any more cargo in it. So, I'm trying to think of things to remove in the camper, to give myself more CCC. Here's what I've thought of so far:

-Drain the water heater. This should give me about 40 lbs.
-Remove one propane tank. That's 35-40 lbs. if the tank was full.
-Leave the dinette table at home. Seems silly, but my son will likely sleep in a tent with his friend, and that thing probably weighs at least 30-40 lbs. We'll eat meals at the campground picnic table anyhow.

Doing two of those three would give me back enough weight for the ice chest I would normally put in the TV. In this case, I'd probably just load the camper fridge with food and drinks, and put a couple of ice packs in it to use it like an ice chest until we can get it plugged in at the campsite.

Any other ideas that don't involve removing vital pieces of the camper?

PS: I suspect some of you will read this and think that it's obvious we bought the wrong camper if I have to think about this kind of stuff. That's a fair thought, but we bought used because we didn't want to shell out new camper prices. Thus, we didn't have a large amount of choices. Our X17Z is in fantastic shape, and we were convinced that we wouldn't find one better. It works perfectly for the four of us, so I'm just trying to make it work for more passengers.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

I am a bit of a "weight Nazi" myself. My DW on the other hand is the exact opposite. We have started to either put the food in the fridge with some freeze packs to keep cool or we just wait till we get to the campsite and run to the grocery store after we set up. That way you lose the weight of the food and the cooler. I am not sure what you use for dishes, but when we have lots of folks we switch to disposable plates, cups and silverware. Saves trouble on cleanup and drops a little weight. Are you going to use the table area as a bed? In my past experience the table is the base for the bed so I am not sure if you will need that or not. Just a few thoughts for you.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Pull 100% of the gear from all of the storage cubbies. Anything that is not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY gets left behind. You'd be surprised at what was once considered a requirement....

Rethink food; Canned vs. dehydrated 10-30lbs. Cans/bricks/bottles of soda or juice drinks? Several cans of Kool-Aid or Wyler's - not haul in the water.

Get the kids involved: Give them a max weight they can have. Show 'em how to use the bathroom scale. Maybe a reward for the one who can live with the least load?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
I am a bit of a "weight Nazi" myself. My DW on the other hand is the exact opposite. We have started to either put the food in the fridge with some freeze packs to keep cool or we just wait till we get to the campsite and run to the grocery store after we set up. That way you lose the weight of the food and the cooler. I am not sure what you use for dishes, but when we have lots of folks we switch to disposable plates, cups and silverware. Saves trouble on cleanup and drops a little weight. Are you going to use the table area as a bed? In my past experience the table is the base for the bed so I am not sure if you will need that or not. Just a few thoughts for you.
We actually use reusable plastic bowls, plates and forks/knives. They weigh very little, so I'm not sure we'd save much by switching to paper. I like the thought, though. We did talk about doing all shopping after we get there. That might help, particularly if we don't load up with bottled water, sodas, etc.

If my son brings a friend, they would most likely sleep in a tent outside. He's a Boy Scout and likes that sort of thing. If my daughter brings a friend, they'd share one of the actual beds. So, the dinette could be ditched without being missed too much.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Get the kids involved: Give them a max weight they can have. Show 'em how to use the bathroom scale. Maybe a reward for the one who can live with the least load?
I love this idea.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Steve,

IMO a trip to a CAT scale under "loaded" TV/HTT conditions will confirm your actual base loaded weight conditions......., guessing can be a little stressful when attempting to reduce and/or relocate cargo weight. You "might" find that you have more "available" cargo capacity then originally thought.

The CAT results will confirm proper cargo placement thus insuring enhanced TV handling, especially during less then ideal towing conditions. Also, confirming that the X17Z maintains a 10% to 15% loaded tongue weight (of gross weight) is important when placing cargo to the rear of the HTT's single axle. One might find that a 13% to 15% tongue weight range more desirable with weights approaching a TV or HTT's respective GVWR.

CAT scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO a trip to a CAT scale under "loaded" TV/HTT conditions will confirm your actual base loaded weight conditions......., guessing can be a little stressful when attempting to reduce and/or relocate cargo weight. You "might" find that you have more "available" cargo capacity then originally thought.
This is something I've been thinking about as well. The dealer we purchased from has a scale, and I'm pretty sure they mentioned we could have access to it. It would likely require a side trip, but it's probably worth it.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Of course, one way to solve all of these problems is just to take two vehicles if the kids bring friends. If we do the "friend camping" thing we most likely would go to one of two different state parks -- one is 45 minutes away and one is about 75 minutes away. No big deal on either of them.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

2 Vehicles would be the ideal weight solution. Put all of the luggage in the second vehicle and no worries.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Team

X2. I would think a trip with a friend would be shorter.

I would load a 2nd vehicle with passengers and anything else considered over the trailer/ tv limit.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

+1 to the "chase" vehicle solution. Then ALL your worries are over. For a 45 or 75 minute drive, that's hardly even a blip on the radar. If you're talking cross-country, that's different, but then I might have a problem if my kid wanted to go cross-country with another family. We'd have to be VERY close, MUCH closer than just friends.

You might even be able to make it safer with 2 vehicles. You could be in the tow vehicle by yourself, or perhaps with just one other passenger to minimize distractions. I know when you get kids together in a car, especially with the added excitement of an adventure, things can get pretty rowdy. So perhaps leave that rowdiness in the "chase vehicle". Remember that you'll also have redundant transportation.

If one vehicle fails, you have another vehicle to move people around or get help or make parts runs or whatever. I'm a big fan of redundancy in critical system components.

You can even go ahead of the "train" and get a head start on setting up if you wanted to. Not everyone has to be at the "bus stop" on time if there are multiple departures!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

Funny this topic comes up. We are doing a weekend trip (our first one with the 17z) and one of my daughters is bringing a friend. It's a 2.5 hour drive but am going to be good on this trip since the wife is coming later in the day with a friend and her daughter... so two cars. Warm weather on Friday and cool on Sat which means extra clothes, blankets and electric heater. Might have our friend take that stuff home on Sun.....or have her take the wife and kids.
I do see a lot of kids friends coming with us in the future so we'll be purchasing food and drinks at the destination to save weight. An extra kid or two and am right near my SUVs payload capacity.
Flash828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You can even go ahead of the "train" and get a head start on setting up if you wanted to. Not everyone has to be at the "bus stop" on time if there are multiple departures!
I was actually just thinking about this. I have a good friend with a fifth wheel, and this is how he ALWAYS does it. He doesn't like anyone getting in the way of his setup or breakdown procedure. I know this well because I once offered to help. He basically told me to go away.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash828 View Post
Funny this topic comes up. We are doing a weekend trip (our first one with the 17z) and one of my daughters is bringing a friend. It's a 2.5 hour drive but am going to be good on this trip since the wife is coming later in the day with a friend and her daughter... so two cars. Warm weather on Friday and cool on Sat which means extra clothes, blankets and electric heater. Might have our friend take that stuff home on Sun.....or have her take the wife and kids.
I do see a lot of kids friends coming with us in the future so we'll be purchasing food and drinks at the destination to save weight. An extra kid or two and am right near my SUVs payload capacity.
This sounds like a good way to go. Maybe your friend could drive my wife and kids too?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #15

In my younger days I was an avid backpacker. When you're carrying it on your back you definitely figure out ways to cut weight.

My suggestion: cut 3 inches off the handles of your toothbrushes. You can still use them (sort of) and it will save you a couple of ounces per brush.

Do away with the forks and spoons - buy sporks instead.
Also do away with the knives - just share dad's pocket knife - a little rust and pocket lint won't kill you.
And plates can be made out of a plastic frisby - then you can play with them after dinner.
And cut your mattress off just below your buttocks - you legs don't need support, just your torso.

Yes - I'm kidding. But yes, we used to do all of this when backpacking ;-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Of course, one way to solve all of these problems is just to take two vehicles if the kids bring friends. If we do the "friend camping" thing we most likely would go to one of two different state parks -- one is 45 minutes away and one is about 75 minutes away. No big deal on either of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
2 Vehicles would be the ideal weight solution. Put all of the luggage in the second vehicle and no worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
X2. I would think a trip with a friend would be shorter.

I would load a 2nd vehicle with passengers and anything else considered over the trailer/ tv limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
In my younger days I was an avid backpacker. When you're carrying it on your back you definitely figure out ways to cut weight.

My suggestion: cut 3 inches off the handles of your toothbrushes. You can still use them (sort of) and it will save you a couple of ounces per brush.

Also do away with the knives - just share dad's pocket knife - a little rust and pocket lint won't kill you.
And plates can be made out of a plastic frisby - then you can play with them after dinner.
And cut your mattress off just below your buttocks - you legs don't need support, just your torso.

Is it weird that I've done ALL of those things? It's true, ounces add up to become pounds, and pounds add up to a LONG day on the trail. Back in the day, my dad used to lug along a handi-cam with extra batteries and tapes!

When we used to do "shakedown" trips with the younger boys, they were always amazed at the amount of stuff we threw in the "no go" pile! I guess that's where I get my still ingrained habit of making sure everything I pack has AT LEAST 2 purposes; and if I can get 3 or 4 different purposes out of a piece of gear, I feel like I'm doing something right!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post

I remember all this! LOL. Backpacked a lot on the AT. Actually did Mt Washington to Maryland...paused for a week...then down to Georgia. And yes, shaving ounces matters when you're carrying everything you need on your back. Matter of fact, I still have my Gregory pack, purifier, bag, MSR stove..everything.

Man, I need to go again.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I remember all this! LOL. Backpacked a lot on the AT. Actually did Mt Washington to Maryland...paused for a week...then down to Georgia. And yes, shaving ounces matters when you're carrying everything you need on your back. Matter of fact, I still have my Gregory pack, purifier, bag, MSR stove..everything.

Man, I need to go again.
Me too! Still have all my gear. I even did a little update on a bunch of it a few years ago because DW and I were going to backpack as our "camping" outings. (That lasted exactly 2 trips, and here we are with a HUGE travel trailer, but that's a different story.)

Anyway, every now and again, the trail calls to me. For now, I'm just "holding it in", but when my son gets a bit older, I will have a backpacking buddy! All my gear will be ready and waiting for that day! And DW has already volunteered to keep the trailer warm/cool for us while we're out on the trails!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
Site Team

I am currently reading a book called "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed about backpacking the PCT thru California.

It is interesting but I have NO dreams of ever doing a hike like that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Steve,

The CAT results will confirm proper cargo placement thus insuring enhanced TV handling, especially during less then ideal towing conditions. Also, confirming that the X17Z maintains a 10% to 15% loaded tongue weight (of gross weight) is important when placing cargo to the rear of the HTT's single axle. One might find that a 13% to 15% tongue weight range more desirable with weights approaching a TV or HTT's respective GVWR.

CAT scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Just food for thought.

Bob

I agree 100% on hitting the cat scales all loaded up. I loaded the water tanks put as much stuff in the trailer without actually packing, loaded truck with firewood for a week, and put an entire weight set that I have that is about a total of 300lbs in passenger area and the trailer. Took it up with wife to a local CAT scale and was really surprised with what the weight totals were on my axles and total GCVW. It was much lower than I thought and IMO the yellow stickers are good way to see a weight number posted but I think it's horse pucky now that I know there is no way with the weights I got at the scale vs what the weight was on the trailer sticker "dry weight" and all the stuff I crammed in the trailer on top of what I already keep in there as trailer stuff. So I gues what I'm saying too is weigh it out, you maybe surprised either knowledge is power.

Happy camping.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote