Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Weight distribution "hook"

This is going to sound weird, but I lost something and I'm not sure what to call it. Once I figure out what to call it, I can go about finding a replacement. When my weight distribution hitch was installed, they gave me this short pole with a hook on the end of it that's used to get the distribution bars seated properly. I have only really needed it a few times because I know that if I crank the hitch way up, the bars go on more easily. However, I couldn't seem to get the hitch cranked high enough last time we camped, and when I looked for that hook thing, I couldn't find it. As best I can figure, I must have left it at our last campground, even though I don't actually remember using it there. I emptied out my storage compartment today and it's just not there. Do any of you know the bar with the hook on the end that I'm talking about? What's it called???
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
This is going to sound weird, but I lost something and I'm not sure what to call it. Once I figure out what to call it, I can go about finding a replacement. When my weight distribution hitch was installed, they gave me this short pole with a hook on the end of it that's used to get the distribution bars seated properly. I have only really needed it a few times because I know that if I crank the hitch way up, the bars go on more easily. However, I couldn't seem to get the hitch cranked high enough last time we camped, and when I looked for that hook thing, I couldn't find it. As best I can figure, I must have left it at our last campground, even though I don't actually remember using it there. I emptied out my storage compartment today and it's just not there. Do any of you know the bar with the hook on the end that I'm talking about? What's it called???
Here you go..

Snap-up lever (consists of hook & handle) - bulk

If that's not your hitch brand, should help you track down what you're looking for.

We've never used ours, but I'm OCD enough to where if I lost it, I'd probably buy another one in a second.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

Both of my previous W/D hitches just used a short length of pipe to fit over the latch, and provide leverage to pull the latch tight. If you over-raise the nose of the trailer with the jack, after attaching to the tow-ball, you barely even need the pipe!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
That's it! Mine was a bit nicer (had a rubberized handle, etc) but that's exactly what I'm looking for. I found a few on Amazon. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Both of my previous W/D hitches just used a short length of pipe to fit over the latch, and provide leverage to pull the latch tight. If you over-raise the nose of the trailer with the jack, after attaching to the tow-ball, you barely even need the pipe!
I've only really needed this once or twice, mainly when the trailer is on unlevel ground. I had a heck of a time on this last campout, and of course I didn't have the lever!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

I have never used mine. I have a power jack. I just raise it to the right height and hook my bars up.
2012 Nissan Titan
Pee Wee, Razzie and Jack
Azbirddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Here you go..

Snap-up lever (consists of hook & handle) - bulk

If that's not your hitch brand, should help you track down what you're looking for.

We've never used ours, but I'm OCD enough to where if I lost it, I'd probably buy another one in a second.
I left mine on the rear bumper of my truck once and bought 2 as a replacement- Just because....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I left mine on the rear bumper of my truck once and bought 2 as a replacement- Just because....
I have no foggy idea where I left mine. I don't *think* I used it on the first camping trip this season, but it's possible I did. It really only comes into play on uneven ground. I may have just pulled it out of the storage area to get something else, and left it sit on the ground. Who the heck knows. It's driving me a little crazy.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

I lost mine the first time out with a new hitch. Left it on the bumper. I just hope it fell harmlessly by the roadside. I've seen small tools like these bouncing around the freeway, and it's scary to think what would happen if it went through a windshield.

I have the Blue Ox SwayPro, so mine is a bit different, and is absolutely required in every situation. I ended up replacing with a breaker bar and socket, which works MUCH better anyway.

My old hitch used the one OP has, and I was SO afraid to lose it, checking for its presence in the storage bin was part of my departure SOP.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
That's been my experiance too.

The latches have a 1.5" stub that the pipe slips over, giving quite a bit of leverage.

Once I lower the couper over the ball enough for the coupler to engage (but still plenty of weight on the jack) I engage the WDH spring bars. Then finish retracting the jack. MUCH easier than trying to snap the spring bars in while under full load.

Like the OP mentioned. A little planning and the WDH bars go on real easy.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

I have always needed to use my "helper" to put my bars on. I raise the rear end of my Expedition, unloading the rear axle, tires still on the ground, but above stock ride height, and still need the helper.

Did you guys setup your hitch, or did you let the "experts" at the dealer set it up for you? You may or may not be getting that weight distributed right. I'm thinking that if you don't need the tool, your weight distribution hitch my not be setup right or doing much of anything.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post
I have always needed to use my "helper" to put my bars on. I raise the rear end of my Expedition, unloading the rear axle, tires still on the ground, but above stock ride height, and still need the helper.

Did you guys setup your hitch, or did you let the "experts" at the dealer set it up for you? You may or may not be getting that weight distributed right. I'm thinking that if you don't need the tool, your weight distribution hitch my not be setup right or doing much of anything.

I come pretty close to raising the back wheels of my truck off the ground to get my bars installed. More than once I thought the rear end of the truck was going to end up off the ground. With the bars not connected to their brackets, and the trailer completely off its own jack, my bars are a good 3 to 4 inches below the brackets. Once I use the jack to elevate the rear end of my truck a good 6 inches higher than normal, the bars begin to raise into a position where they just slip right into their brackets. I did my own setup and confirmed it at the CAT scale.

Good point though, if someone isn't needing to jack up the rear of their truck to get their bars on, the bars aren't doing much when you are in your towing configuration.

Edit - hoping that when I setup the hitch on my new truck, I won't need quite as much tension on the spring bars for the desired effect.. we shall see
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojls View Post

I tried my bar once when I first got the htt. I have never used it again. The dealer did the setup! I raise the tongue as high as needed. I have never ran out of lift yet.

for a previous TT with the Reeses Dual Cam WDH, made a 3/4" x 3 foot pipe bar, with a 90 degree bend on one end and a 45 degree bend on the other end. With that much leverage, we never had to lift the tongue, to hook up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #14

I've always had to lift the rear of my truck quite a bit. With my previous hitch, I often got the tires off the ground. On my new hitch, not so much, but it's different. Even with the tires off the ground or close, I've still used the "cheater". It depends on the angles involved. In my driveway, I have to lift quite a bit, but in some spots where I camp, and the angles between the truck and trailer are different, I don't have to lift as much.

I set up my own hitch after the dealer's "expert" fouled up the original installation. I read the instructions carefully, got it set up right, and will never trust another "expert" to do it for me again.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:
I come pretty close to raising the back wheels of my truck off the ground to get my bars installed. More than once I thought the rear end of the truck was going to end up off the ground. With the bars not connected to their brackets, and the trailer completely off its own jack, my bars are a good 3 to 4 inches below the brackets. Once I use the jack to elevate the rear end of my truck a good 6 inches higher than normal, the bars begin to raise into a position where they just slip right into their brackets. I did my own setup and confirmed it at the CAT scale.

Good point though, if someone isn't needing to jack up the rear of their truck to get their bars on, the bars aren't doing much when you are in your towing configuration.

Edit - hoping that when I setup the hitch on my new truck, I won't need quite as much tension on the spring bars for the desired effect.. we shall see
The 2017's seem to not sag as much in the rear as the earlier models. I have a 27RLS with a tongue weight of 1050 lbs and unhitched the front wheel well was 41-1/4" from ground. Hitched without wd bars only raised it to 41-3/4" and my wd bars moved it back to 41-1/2". The hitch height is significantly higher than my 2015 F-250 - about 4". If I remember correctly my 2011 F-150 was higher than the 2015 F-250 also, but not as high as this truck.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
The 2017's seem to not sag as much in the rear as the earlier models. I have a 27RLS with a tongue weight of 1050 lbs and unhitched the front wheel well was 41-1/4" from ground. Hitched without wd bars only raised it to 41-3/4" and my wd bars moved it back to 41-1/2". The hitch height is significantly higher than my 2015 F-250 - about 4". If I remember correctly my 2011 F-150 was higher than the 2015 F-250 also, but not as high as this truck.
Do you have the camper package or any other 'add-ons' that would have increased your new 250's rear stance?

I have the camper package on my inbound truck and it comes with the same spring pack that the 350's come with stock. Maybe that's the difference?

I can flip my draw bar and mount my hitch head a lot lower than it is on my current truck, hopefully no more than 4 inches though or I'm going to need a new one. Thanks for the heads up on the differences between the 3, gives me a pretty good idea of what I'm in store for.

Was planning on a 4 inch suspension lift, but that's on hold till next year.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Do you have the camper package or any other 'add-ons' that would have increased your new 250's rear stance?

I have the camper package on my inbound truck and it comes with the same spring pack that the 350's come with stock. Maybe that's the difference?

I can flip my draw bar and mount my hitch head a lot lower than it is on my current truck, hopefully no more than 4 inches though or I'm going to need a new one. Thanks for the heads up on the differences between the 3, gives me a pretty good idea of what I'm in store for.

Was planning on a 4 inch suspension lift, but that's on hold till next year.
I have the camper package, but that didn't really affect the height. If you look at the Ford specs for 2016 and earlier compared to the 2017, the open tailgate to ground measurement is 3" higher. From the ground to the inside top of the receiver with the 2" adapter inserted is 23 3/4" on my truck. It's a tall truck!
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
I have the camper package, but that didn't really affect the height. If you look at the Ford specs for 2016 and earlier compared to the 2017, the open tailgate to ground measurement is 3" higher. From the ground to the inside top of the receiver with the 2" adapter inserted is 23 3/4" on my truck. It's a tall truck!
I can work with that difference. Thank you.