Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #1

What accessories needed with new TT?

So, right now we are getting pretty serious about the X23B. I found one that has the options I want except for the enclosed underbelly (can a dealer add this option?). The dealer would supply the usual things, propane tanks, hoses, and battery with box. I am new to this. So, my question for you experienced RVers is what should I get with the trailer at the time of purchase? I think I'm going to go with an Equilizer hitch, but I'm open to any and all suggestions on accessories that you think are needed.
One thing I was thinking of getting was an extra battery. I have heard it is better to have two 6v wired in series than it is to have two 12v in parallel. True? And, any particular brand? Also, I don't believe the X23B has a black tank spray down. Do I need One? What about blocks for the wheels?
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #2

You don't really need to buy anything from the dealer as such at the time of purchase. All the goodies you need, leveling blocks, chocks, etc. can be purchased anytime and almost anywhere (on-line, Wal-Mart, Menards). Hopefully some of the members that have established lists will post them here but my list of must haves are:

Lego style leveling blocks
In-between the wheel chocks (mine are homemade)
Wedge-style chocks for the ground
A large block or plastic pedestal for the tongue jack to rest on
A sewer hose in a 5 gallon bucket
Patio Mat

This will get you set up on a site and be able to dump your waste. All the rest is icing on the cake.

You in Ohio? I knew a windmill man in Berlin Center, OH years ago.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #3

When we bought our trailer, the dealer gave us a $50 store credit to use on camping supplies. Maybe your dealer will do the same?

We bought a water hose, toilet paper and toilet chemicals.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

Like glsimms, I received a $50 gift certificate from the dealer. Didn't take long to use it though since dealer parts department are very over priced.
If you want to save some money, many things can be DIY, such as the chocks (wedge & between the wheels) & leveling blocks.
When I need to buy something, I have found Amazon & Ebay to have the best prices.
As far as necessities to buy, I agree with the toilet paper (RV or septic safe) , black tank chemicals. Also a note pad to write down the items you will think of adding of while camping.
As far as a hitch, I can't really add much. Heard good things about the Equalizer, but I am using a 25 year old Reese round bar. Don't know about the batteries either.
2 more things to add, smores supplies and your favorite beverage.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

mcfarmall,
I don't know the man, but there is a windmill guy about one mile south of me on Rt534. Small world!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

This dealer is in Indiana so I would have to drive over to pick up the trailer. I'm a little hesitant to make a deal 'sight unseen', but they seem to have a good rep and a good price (over $3000 less than what my local dealer quoted me). They are providing: Sewer hose, Water hose, Toilet chemicals, 110V adaptor, Two full propane tanks, Battery & box, With full prep and walk-thru. I know I can shop for gadgets later, but I want to make sure I don't drive away thinking "I wish I would have had them..."
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

The Sewer hose they will provide is ok, but not great. There are better ones that cost around $45 that are muck better and easier to use. You should consider a good surge protector, consider it cheap insurance against electrical issues. As well as a water pressure regulator, I believe those are must items. Also a battery operated fan for your fridge, keeps the air moving and stops items from freezing in one area of the fridge and not cold enough in other areas. You will need some items for leveling your trailer and wood works good and is cheaper then the plastic items they sell.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Be ready- the dealer will offer hundreds/thousands in up sells (extended warrantee/ protections this and that's). We did not take any of that, but it is available.

We've spend a little over $2k (bed pads/sheets/blankets/pillows, tv, surge guard, camp chairs, camp chef, utensils/dishes/cups, cookware, tools, etc) to stock the trailer. Online shooping, like tweetys.com has been cheaper than local suppliers.

We partnered with a rental company with our old trailer who rented the trailer when not in use by us. One downside is the trailer had to be empty at pick up and drop off. This made each camp trip a huge task to get ready and clean up. With the new trailer, we wanted everything stocked and ready to pull out anytime.

Can't help on the battery. For me, I'd wait and see how the battery supplied works, then modify as needed.

I use equalizer hitch. I'm not familiar with any others.

I like to share with friends to shop your price at rvdirect.com. I took their bid to the local dealer to help with negotiations. We paid about 27% off the MSRP doing this. I believe this eliminated the haggling.

Have fun,
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
This dealer is in Indiana so I would have to drive over to pick up the trailer. I'm a little hesitant to make a deal 'sight unseen', but they seem to have a good rep and a good price (over $3000 less than what my local dealer quoted me). They are providing: Sewer hose, Water hose, Toilet chemicals, 110V adaptor, Two full propane tanks, Battery & box, With full prep and walk-thru. I know I can shop for gadgets later, but I want to make sure I don't drive away thinking "I wish I would have had them..."
We did our deal just the opposite!

We live in Indiana and bought ours from a dealer in Cincy! But before we firmed up the deal, we drove over to see it in person. Once we were there and saw it, we knew it was the right TT for us! And yes, like already mentioned, we used RVdirect pricing as a negotiation tool.

I have the E-Z hitch and we love it. It really is E-Z to set-up and take-down. One option to consider is a brake controller, don't skimp on this. Unless your tow vehicle has one, I'd highly suggest putting this at the top of your list.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #10

glsimms,
I'm not familiar with the EZ hitch I'll have to check it out. My truck does have an integrated brake and sway control. It also has a rear view camera which is great for lining yourself up with a hitch ball.
I have been in several X23B trailers so I know that I like the layout, but not being able to see this one in person before buying it is a concern. 2014 models are starting to dry up around here and I want to grab one before the 2015s are all that's left. So, I might have to take a leap of faith!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #11

Equipment for new TT

I would suggest the following:voltage mter,surge protector,wheel chocks,leveling blocks,a level,water pressure regulator,,notebook,basic tool box,collapsible rake,extension cord,wash brush,basic first aid kit. Will pass along other suggestions as I think of them.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

Shortly after getting our 1st TT (23B) I discovered that the purchase of the TT consumed about 75% of the available budget. Getting all the "Stuff" it takes to actually hit the road took the other 75% of my budget.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

I have the Equalizer hitch and love it. Tows like a dream. Not to say that others are junk, I'm sure they're very good as well. Just saying that if you get an Equalizer, you probably won't be smacking your head saying, "I wish I hadn't." Literally the first thing I did with my TT was toss the dealer's sewer hose and got a good one. I use the Dominator and haven't had any problems whatsoever. In reality, start with what you need - water pressure regulator, good sewer hose, good brake controller (I use the P3), good drinking water hose and GO CAMPING! you'll very quickly figure out all the things that will make the experience better for you. If you want to learn more, check out the RVGeeks YouTube channel - he's posted some videos that helped me quite a bit, especially in the area of black tank cleaning.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #14

I don't see having a second battery unless you're boondocking. I agree not to skimp on a brake controller. I have the prodigy and it's worked very well. I am questioning the power awning as an assessory that is needed. Manual would probably been fine and after having some issues with it, I'm more inclined to go manual. I completed many mods but only because I wanted to and not because I had to. Otherwise, the 23B is pretty much complete. you will need the hitch, controller, chocks ... things like that but those apply to all TTs. Good luck!
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #15

Thanks again for the replies my truck has an integrated brake control so I'm good on that. It's good to hear that the Equilizer is a good hitch. I think I'll go with it even though it is a bit pricy. I'll pick up some of the other things mentioned and probably upgrade to a better sewer hose at the time purchase.
I do plan on doing some boondocking so that is why I'm questioning the batteries. I guess it's not something I need to do immediately though. I can wait to get my feet wet and then take from there.
Does anyone use bunk fans in there 23B??? I'm thinking of getting those as well.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

We take a small and large fan. We also have AC if really needed. The bunk fans are nice but at about 33 bucks I'll wait on that purchase.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
I do plan on doing some boondocking so that is why I'm questioning the batteries. I guess it's not something I need to do immediately though. I can wait to get my feet wet and then take from there.
Might want to consider the LED replacement lamps if boondocking. Of course your camper may already have the LED's.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Shortly after getting our 1st TT (23B) I discovered that the purchase of the TT consumed about 75% of the available budget. Getting all the "Stuff" it takes to actually hit the road took the other 75% of my budget.
So you used 150% of your budget? Sounds like me!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #19

We have a pair of the bunk fans and the kids have used them a time or two but they're too noisy for my liking. I usually set a 12" oscillating fan on the stove lid and aim it so it sweeps the front bunk. I have another 10" fan that I point towards the rear bunk and it really pumps the cold air into that space. The roof mounted A/C provides adequate flow but the fan turbocharges it! I like turbochargers...especially twins.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #20

Quote:
So, right now we are getting pretty serious about the X23B. I found one that has the options I want except for the enclosed underbelly (can a dealer add this option?). The dealer would supply the usual things, propane tanks, hoses, and battery with box. I am new to this. So, my question for you experienced RVers is what should I get with the trailer at the time of purchase? I think I'm going to go with an Equilizer hitch, but I'm open to any and all suggestions on accessories that you think are needed.
One thing I was thinking of getting was an extra battery. I have heard it is better to have two 6v wired in series than it is to have two 12v in parallel. True? And, any particular brand? Also, I don't believe the X23B has a black tank spray down. Do I need One? What about blocks for the wheels?
I've still got the original battery from '09. It's 12 volt. If you usually get electric sites, it shouldn't matter whether you have 2-6v. batts. Just unneeded expense IMHO. Take battery out at end of season, clean crud off it with baking soda and flush with water, top off cells with H2O,charge it up every couple mos. during winter and put it back in in the spring I leave my TT plugged in constantly during the season because the clock radio will discharge the battery. Get a plug in voltmeter from CW and put in the most obvious outlet you have. Get in the habit of looking at it regularly in hot weather when everybody is cranking the AC up. If you can barely pull 110v, watch what kind of load you are pulling and look to switch refer and water heaters to propane
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote