Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Hybrids
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

Where are you folks putting a jack if you want to raise the trailer to work on brakes

Where should I put the jack to raise the trailer to adjust the brakes?

Thanks for the info.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #2

To adjust the brakes, you have to get under the trailer. For me, this means that the trailer frame must be supported by heavy duty jack stands. So, I'd raise the frame with a bottle jack, place the jack stands under the frame, lower the jack until the frame contacts the jack stand, and then do what's needed. Usually I use two jack stands per side.

If I am just changing a tire, I will either put a bottle jack under the spring hanger on the affected tire and raise it just enough to get the tire off. Or I will back or pull the good tire onto a stack of blocks to raise the bad tire up enough. But I will not crawl under the trailer unless the frame is properly supported on jack stands.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

The 19H has one of those frame rails with the holes in it, and the torsion axle without leaf springs, so I have to be real careful where I jack it up. I agree on the jackstands for extra safety. You can never be too safe with a few thousand pounds over your head.
Just have to figure out where to put things so the frame doesn't get bent.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

this brochure might be useful for info... Check your manuals supplied with your trailer for your axle/brakes and see if they have similar info.

https://loadrite.com/pdf/LoadRite-Se...DrumManual.pdf

I like to raise the wheels just under the flat area where the shocks mount too. I also agree you should safe up the side you are working on with frame jacks but I would be hesitant of using the frame jack to lift the whole trailer off the ground. Use the axle jack to get the wheel off the ground then use the frame jacks for some lifting to make the side stable. I also like the idea of leaving the truck connected to the trailer to keep it from rolling on you.

You can also roll the trailer dual tandom wheel up on a higher ramp type stand that will lift the other wheel axle off the ground that will allow you to rotate that wheel to make adjustments... Eats up alot of time getting things just right but is pretty safe...

Jacking up the frame persay has its hazards. Thats alot of stress at that one point on the trailer frame. You certainly don't want to warp the frame. Jacking at the axles to lift the frame is no different than going the road stress wise. Then safe up the frame with jacks to make it stable - not lifting the whole weight... I guess it doesn't really matter what you do first but I would just jack the frame to remove some weight and then do the axle jack game plan to get the wheels off the ground.

I have jacked up my single axle OFF-ROAD trailer several times using this method of jacking the axle and only have adjusted the fifth wheel 28-foot trailer brakes one time doing this same thing.

After doing the fifth wheel that one time I think I will take it to the dealer and let them do it the next time... They have a hugh pull through garage all setup just for this... I notice you never see any RV trailers in PEPBOYs or other car/truck tire places... No problem with my 4200lb OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer.

These photos from google search look pretty safe to me..

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

I have the same question on my 23b. The instructions and pictures you guys submitted are nice, but they do not pertain to the torsion axles. The dexter manual does not address this issue either. Same problem with changing a tire, the leaf spring trailers will lift the tires if one is driven onto ramps, while the torsion axles won't.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Here is a direct quote from the generic (2012) owner’s manual located on the Jayco’s website (section 4-5).

1. Keep the RV attached to the tow vehicle.
Block the tire on the opposite side of the
RV from the tire you are changing.

2. Loosen the wheel lug on the tire you are
changing before jacking up the RV. DO
NOT remove the lug nuts; only loosen
them for ease of removal when the tire is
off the ground.

3. Locate the main frame rail of the trailer (it
spans from front-to-back just inside the
tires).

4. To raise the RV, place the jack (hydraulic
or screw) under the main frame rail. It
must be just ahead of the front tire or just
behind the rear tire.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
I have the same question on my 23b. The instructions and pictures you guys submitted are nice, but they do not pertain to the torsion axles. The dexter manual does not address this issue either. Same problem with changing a tire, the leaf spring trailers will lift the tires if one is driven onto ramps, while the torsion axles won't.
The manual says to never jack on any part of the axle with the torsion style axle. Also the changing the tire by running up one wheel onto blocks or a ramp does work, tried it last summer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote