Originally Posted by howie
Thanks again guys. I will contact Jayco. I do have another question. We have several more trips planned this month. I fear that if I call them they will want me to bring the camper in somewhere and we will be without a camper. I am thinking about waiting until the end of our "camping season" before calling. Any opinions on that?
I would call them now and let them know whats wrong with the trailer, When I called them about ours, I told them that I had a few more trips planned. They told me to continue using it as long as I needed it, after we was done camping last year we took it in for repair.
It's best to get it on record with Jayco, they was real good to work with us, I've never had any trouble with Jayco, it's always been with the dealer but Jayco can and will take care of that.