Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

Which AC to get

Hello im a new Hybrid owner and really need some help. This is the first travel trailer I have owned or worked on, I am pretty handy and can disassemble something and put it back together. My unit did not come with an AC, it does have the 120v lines in the ceiling and the braced frame for mounting. From what I have seen it dosnt look to complicated to install a unit in a prewired setting, just ensure it seats correctly for water tight seal.
My question is I'm trying to decide which unit to go with, there are a lot of options out there. any and all suggestions would be helpful or maybe your experience with a particular model. Thanks for the help!
Pittsburgpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

Just my opinion but brand doesn't really matter But being your in Texas I would go with the 15k BTU rather than the 13.5k btu units

Welcome to the Forum
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

I would recommend Coleman. I have 3 friends with Fairley new rv's and all 3 have had issues with Dometic.
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #4

+1 on the Coleman 13.5, came on my x19h used it now for two summers no problems
sfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #5

Coleman 15,000 with the canvas bunk ends you won't regret it.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

I have the 13.5K on our htt, it works great. But being in Texas, I would consider the 15 unit. Make sure the one you chose has the controls on the init, and does not require ducts.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Make sure the one you chose has the controls on the init, and does not require ducts.
The air conditioner and ceiling assembly are sold seperately. The ceiling assembly decides whether it is ducted or non-ducted.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #8

Has anyone ever tried this unit or brand? It's a complete 15k btu unit with control panel for $500

RV Appliances RV / MOTORHOME 15,000 BTU RV AIR CONDITIONER FOR SALE RV Air Conditioners | COLEMAN, DOMETIC, GREE, WHERE TO BUY RV/MOTORHOME AIR CONDITIONER UNITS/SYSTEMS, RV/MOTORHOME AC UNITSÜSED RV/MOTORHOME PARTS, SALVAGE | visonerv.com
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #9

Since we're on the A/C topic

I'm looking on to a jayco hybrid most likely a 16xrb,
Question is it has a side wall mounted unit.
Will this unit keep my camper cool bring it has tent ends?
What are halls experience with this?
And how do you like the hybrids?
Thanks for any help
Pat19899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgpaul View Post
Hello im a new Hybrid owner and really need some help. This is the first travel trailer I have owned or worked on, I am pretty handy and can disassemble something and put it back together. My unit did not come with an AC, it does have the 120v lines in the ceiling and the braced frame for mounting. From what I have seen it dosnt look to complicated to install a unit in a prewired setting, just ensure it seats correctly for water tight seal.
My question is I'm trying to decide which unit to go with, there are a lot of options out there. any and all suggestions would be helpful or maybe your experience with a particular model. Thanks for the help!
15k is great but if you dry camp a lot it takes 2900 watts to start it according to Coleman.Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat19899 View Post
I'm looking on to a jayco hybrid most likely a 16xrb,
Question is it has a side wall mounted unit.
Will this unit keep my camper cool bring it has tent ends?
What are halls experience with this?
And how do you like the hybrids?
Thanks for any help
I've never seen one here in FL with the side 8000 BTU air. Every one we looked at including the one we bought had the 13.5 roof unit. Cooling aside, I wouldn't like the side AC taking up good space above the fridge.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input, I ended up going with a 13500 Coleman Mach power save unit off Amazon. I know most say get the 15000 btu in Texas, however for me the price difference and power it took was not worth it, I think, (ask me mid summer I may have a different tune haha). Really though combining the power that unit takes with the price was great for me as I plan to do some boondock camping this will help with getting a generator to support the electrical load.
The unit was delivered via UPS and appeared to have been dropped on its end, a little prying on the frame and vise grip with 2x2s did the trick to straighten the frame back out and on it went.
Takeing the roof vent out took a lot of patience the self leveling dicor adhesive that was up there was still very pliable. Once complete I used eternabond to lay over the screw holes left from the roof vent and the unit fit fine over the opening, seal seated perfectly. I will be following up after my first trip to ensure the bolts are tight on the unit.
Next project is recoating the EPDM roof with dicor cool coat. my intention is to add a layer of rubber over the 15 year old original epdm roof for durability and maybe effect a cooler interior in the process.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

Follow up

I am happy to report after several trips in the upper 80's here in Texas. My Coleman 13500 BTU mach power save model has done great, first installed the panel thermostat was adjusted way down & the compressor would cycle on and off. I removed it and gave the adjustment screw a few turns and now it will freeze you out. I try not to turn the thermostat too cold as I don't want to freeze the unit up (happened once over night). With the warm Texas weather I was somewhat worried this unit would not cool enough for my 21 ft hybrid trailer but it works great at keeping it cool. Thank you to all that gave input and shared their perspectives.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #14

That's great!
Love hearing when these things work out well.
fricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #15

thanks for that post. I am thinking of getting that power saver unit as my second unit for the B/R. I'm hoping it will be quieter as the literature says and you can run it on a lower setting?
Having to run a separate wire for it.
Harpman1 is offline   Reply With Quote