Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Which Floorplan is best?

We currently have a 2010 17z which we bought used on Craigslist last year. We have 2 boys 5 and 6. I would just like a little more room. My husband would like a model with the door on right side or middle, but we don't want a table to climb over to get into bed. Looking at the 20e or 18d or 19h? Any suggestions. We also noticed that the new models have a shallow tub, don't think I like that; too much splash on floor?? We don't mind having a single door frig. I actually think I like it better, more room in frig then and we don't need to freeze much?? I am also not liking the Chocolate color interior, I do like the Copper though, hard to find though. Any thoughts on awnings?? My husband would like a manual over electric due to having to bring it in if stormy and we have patio lights on it. Also, my husband is worried about having a slide because of malfunction and water damage????

Don't need a double sink, like more counter space. I like the 19h because of the drawer space included. Even looking at Rockwood Roo's but their beds are not as comfortable and have springs in mattresses. Rockwood is nice though especially the 21ss and has ducted air. Any advice on ducted air, does this work nice and fast cooling especially for bed around corner in back?????

Looked at the Palomino Stampede, nice but beds are bad I thought. Memory foam goes down to the boards when lying on it.

I am very picky I know, but want to make the right choice or we just keep what we have.
Makjps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Counter space on the 20e is not very good which is the reason we moved up to the 23b. Sounds like a 19 or and 18 is what you want. But all the stuff you said you don't want is what we wanted. Slides add a lot more interior space. We don't spend much time inside, but with two adults and two boys, it really helps. I like the electric awning - so easy to put in and out. You should be putting manuals away in a storm anyway.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Well, what are you using to tow your current camper? Have you looked at something like an x23f? That would give you 3 bunks which would give each kid their own bed.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

we have a 2009 silverado V8 which could pull anything but we don't want anything longer than a 21' closed length even though we do have a long driveway to store. I also recently read a complaint about the a/c not reaching back bed on the 23 model??

Anybody have any comments on the Rockwood Roo's new bunk end attachment. We looked at one yesterday and it's just glued in the corner sloppily with skirted edge to catch rain and rivets on the sides. I would think letting the rain gravitate down over would be better. Don't know but doesn't look good.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

We have the 19h and like it alot. two adults, two boys and the dog . A/C works good, reaches both ends. It has the couch and booth dinette, no crawling over. Electric awning is great, no going out in the storm to lower or roll up, just push a button. And to increase counter space, I made a piece of counter top that sits on the stove top and is held there by the grate. That gives us all the room we need. We started to look at the 17', but forgot about it quickly when we stepped foot in the 19H.
chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

Have you lookedat the x213 model?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

No problem with the ac reaching the back bunk on ours.
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillywilly View Post
We have the 19h and like it alot. two adults, two boys and the dog . A/C works good, reaches both ends. It has the couch and booth dinette, no crawling over. Electric awning is great, no going out in the storm to lower or roll up, just push a button. And to increase counter space, I made a piece of counter top that sits on the stove top and is held there by the grate. That gives us all the room we need. We started to look at the 17', but forgot about it quickly when we stepped foot in the 19H.
I have a 19h as well and love it although I have a manual awning.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #9

We have a 2008 19h and LOVE it. 2 adults, 2 boys and a dog. We have the 40th year anniversary edition. We Have the deeper tub and the electric awning. We had a 2004 fleetwood utah popup and treated traded in for our jayco a month ago.
Samebutdifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruman View Post
No problem with the ac reaching the back bunk on ours.
X2

Mark
mlinder1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great points and advice. I think the 19h is the way to go with manual awning if I could find it. One thing about the manual awning which i think is better in bad weather when you put the legs down into the ground. Will have to look at one over the summer or fall to check out how much counter is on either side of the sink. Hard to tell in pics. Just want room for a coffee pot and toaster. Already have a stove cover.

Going camping for a week starting on Sat. can't wait even though it's just our 17z but realizing the space is really not too bad and both beds are same size, not sure you get that on the newer ones that are 19h??
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makjps View Post
Thanks for all the great points and advice. I think the 19h is the way to go with manual awning if I could find it. One thing about the manual awning which i think is better in bad weather when you put the legs down into the ground. Will have to look at one over the summer or fall to check out how much counter is on either side of the sink. Hard to tell in pics. Just want room for a coffee pot and toaster. Already have a stove cover.

Going camping for a week starting on Sat. can't wait even though it's just our 17z but realizing the space is really not too bad and both beds are same size, not sure you get that on the newer ones that are 19h??
19H Kitchen counter

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #13

If you like your 17Z then I think the 19H would be the way to go. If I needed more room the 19H is the floorplan I would want.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

I cannot comment on any of the TTs other than the X23B. We really like it. There is plenty of room for two adults, two kids, one dog and all our stuff. Lots of counter space. Lots of refrigerator space. Lots of space to put all of our stuff. The AC reaches all of the bunks just fine. Last week it was 100 deg for three days, and we had no issues keeping the TT cool. When we parked it was already 100 deg. We turned on the AC to high and to the coldest setting and within 2 hours it was almost too cold inside. The water was pouring off the roof at a rate probably close to a few gallons an hour. I was concerned the AC would freeze up, but it never did. As for the table we almost always have it rotated 90 degrees, so it is across part of the dinette and in front of the sofa. So getting in and out of the front bunk is really easy. It also makes for a bit more counter space when cooking. The front bunk (as I have been told) has a layer of memory foam, it is very comfortable.

One of the things I would strongly recommend doing, when looking at hybrids, is to sit and lay on the mattresses at the joint where the bunk folds up. Once you do, I fully expect you will look more seriously look at the Jayco options. Every manufacture we tried you could feel the joint, except for the Jayco.

The only thing I would have liked was the manual awning as it was a little bigger.

I have also been a little concerned about the slide. I have never had one, and neither has my parents, so I do not have a lot of experience. The 23B has an 18” slide and it gives just the right amount of added space in my opinion.

23B does not feel big when pulling and stay right behind us with 12k lbs Equalizer bars.

I have done a few mods to utilize the space to meet our needs, such as add shelves to one wardrobe cabinet and added a linen cabinet to utilize the dead zone behind the dinette (I have not posted anything on this).

I to thought this was too big for our needs and I have been extremely happy with our TT choice.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #15

I'll put in a vote for the X20E. We have two boys ages 8 and 12. What sold us on the X20E over the X19H was (1) the couch slide-out, (2) the U-shaped dinette and (3) the extra storage space.

I felt that both campers would work great for weekend camping, but felt the X20E would be so much better for week-long vacation camping. The slide-out really opens things up inside, and combined with the U-shaped dinette there is a lot of room for us to spread out inside the camper without having to use the beds. The extra storage space lets us stow our clothes out of the way so that we aren't tripping over bags.

As for sleeping, my wife and I have taken the bunk end near the bathroom since it seems more private and saves us from climbing over the dinette. I expected the boys to share the queen bed but most trips so far the older one has slept on the bed and the younger one has slept on the couch. I find the couch to be much easier to fold out for the night than having to deal with the dinette.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #16

As I type, it is about 90 degrees in Maryland. And a/c is on low and no problem with both bunks being very cool in the 19h!! It works for us! 2 kids/ 2 adults. Storage is the main issue. I will be making a shelf the closet that will be half shelf, half hanging rod.
ridge19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #17

we have the 23 J and have no problem with the AC reaching the bunk ends. There is tons of counter space and tons of cabinet space.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #18

We have a 2012 x20e and love it. It does not have much counter space, so I bought a wooden (cutting board type) cover that was made to cover the stove top. It gives me the extra space I needed. What sold was the couch that slides out as well as the U-Shaped dinette. We recently had 5 adults in the camper for dinner and had more then enough space. For us, we really like the space a slide out gives.

Now, our tow vehicle is a trailblazer so we were limited on weight when choosing.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #19

I have a 19H too. I looked at the 18, but it has a good bit less cabinet space. The thought of the third bed was appealing till I looked at storage. Not enough room for dishes and everything else.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetylady View Post
We have a 2012 x20e and love it. It does not have much counter space, so I bought a wooden (cutting board type) cover that was made to cover the stove top. It gives me the extra space I needed. What sold was the couch that slides out as well as the U-Shaped dinette. We recently had 5 adults in the camper for dinner and had more then enough space. For us, we really like the space a slide out gives.

Now, our tow vehicle is a trailblazer so we were limited on weight when choosing.
What is the tow rating on your trailblazer? Really like the 20e, but I am concerned about my tow vehicle.
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote