Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #21

One of my seasonal trailer's water heater drain plug is stuck and will not open. I blow out the lines with a compressor. I then close all drains and faucets. Then I pour three gallons of RV anti-freeze into the empty fresh water tank. I then add three gallons of water. (RV antifreeze is good to -50 degrees. An RV dealer owner told me by diluting it with water, it is still good to -25 degrees. (If it gets colder where you are, do not dilute).

I then turn on my water pump and let it build pressure. I then go to the farthest faucet from the fresh water tank and turn on the hot tap. Once pink AF appears, I shut it of and go to the 2nd farthest faucet and repeat and then the last. Once all of the hot water faucets are running antifreeze, I repeat the process with the cold water.

Been doing this off & on since 1983 and have yet to have any problems.

On the large parked 30 footer, since the HW tank has a drain, I blow out all of the lines. I then add antifreeze to the sink & bath tub pea traps and put some in the black tank and a couple of cups in the toilet. I also leave the toilet seat up to avoid any growth of mold (don't ask how I know).

These two trailer are in a part of Washington state that can get below zero at times.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
what specifically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have not read of anyone filling the wh with antifreeze on purpose. Bypass, drain wh and low point drains. Then pull antifreeze into the lines and faucets. Pour some in traps. Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
Technically you can blow out your lines with air, but you can't get your various traps and things. When I winterize, I use antifreeze and then open my low point drains to get most of it out. I have also always used antifreeze to at least flush the hot water heater a little bit, and then drain it as well. I don't like the idea of leaving anything in there that might be water. Don't forget your city water hookup and your outside shower either!
This.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Site Team

Winterize - Blowout or Antifreeze

I was referring to another post where they accidentally did not bypass the wh and filled it up.
Are you getting pithy with me?
That was not my post, only a quote that I was making a reference .
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I've always used air with no problems. A bit of water here and there won't hurt anything. There's plenty of room for the bit of water that's left to expand in multiple directions without damaging anything. I put a cup of antifreeze in each P trap, a bit of antifreeze in the toilet and call it good.
X2
I've done it this way for 10 years.
As for the inside and outside shower wands, I just unscrew them and lay them in the bathtub.

Tim
2008 26BHS
1997 Komfort (sold)
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #25

[QUOTE=I do have a coworker who's husband insists on filling the water heater full. Each to there own.[/QUOTE]

Wow! 6 to 8 gallons of antifreeze? That otta do it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote