Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

WOOHOO!! New Owners of 17Z

We are picking up our new baby on Friday. Can you tell we are excited? We started out in a travel trailer, downsized to a pop up and now I think we have the right combination - a hybrid.

My questions to other 17z owners - What are your solutions to storage? Where do you store clothes, towels, food, etc? Pictures of mods woud be great.

Also, what size TV will fit over the refrigerater. We have a 26" that we camp with but I'm worried about it fitting.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
zgabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

We don't have a hybrid, but would like to welcome you to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Congratulations on the 17Z! We bought ours a little over a year ago after downsizing from a Class A motorhome. The only thing I can say about the move to the Z is We should have done it sooner!

The 17Z is a great unit but you need to watch your weight. About 500lbscargo is tops so we carry alot of our stuff in the tow vehicle. Typically the shower carries towels, and clothes. Our last trip to the beach we bought most of our groceries after we arrived.

As for the TV we use a 19" Magnavox with a built in DVD player. The DVD loads in the top and it just does make it. I'd say 19" is about as big as you can go but get one that loads the DVD on the side.

Some pictures of mine are under my album on this site. You can get there by clicking on my name.

Welcome to the site and be sure to tell us about your travels and adventures.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

zgabay-- Jus t check out the "mods" forum for more storage. I did a rear bumper tool box, and did the same front storage area as "thdoc", that is a great mod. Larry
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #5

We picked up our new trailer today. The 4Runner towed it just fine. We will be taking her out in the morning. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1003.jpg   100_1001.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

Congrats on the 17Z! We've had ours about a year now. Storage is a bit limited, so you might have to get creative. We ordered ours without the oven so there's an extra cabinet in it's place. Each of us have gym bag for clothes, and the shower is a great place to store sleeping bags. It helped to add some wire shelving in the upper cabinets too.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Congratulations on the 17Z! We have the Starcraft version of the 17C (175RK) and have a 23" Visio LED TV (VM230XVT) that just fits above the refrigerator. It has about 3/4" clearance to the roof. The 22" version would fit a little easier. We also pulled ours with a 4Runner Trail Edition and now pull it with an F150 Ecoboost.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

zgabay

Enjoy and I hope to join the owners club next years.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

I have the Starcraft version of your 17Z. My wife and I love it. Upgraded from a PUP and do not think we will ever need to go bigger. For storage we each take a bag for our clothes and then store it on the spare bed in the back. This gives plenty of room for other things in the Cabinets. Bought small covered boxes at Wally world to store small items and utensils in the cabinets. Added some shelves to the cabinet over the sink and over the coach to extend the storage and use the one over the coach for the dishes/cups and glasses. The one over the Table is used for flashlights and other misc stuff including the manuals. Right inside the door is anything needed to set up like electrical adapters and a small tool bag. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying our 176RB.

Also added an electric jack to make things easier to hitch. Not faster just easier. Wll worth the 150 we paid for it on sale. Enjoy
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #10

we have just purchased one, but have not picked it up. Moving from a Coleman popup.
Noticed that there is not any drawers for utensils and wondered if anyone had ever put one in one of the cabinets under the stove. I really like having a drawer and know I will miss it.
dedeanddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

I have had my Z for 2 years now. The lack of any drawers bothered me at first. My solution for that problem was to put a metal shelf on the top shelf under the left hand side of the sink. I will post pictures. The shelf has low sides that prevent the cutlery tray from sliding off sideways. I have another tray under the shelf that I put my cooking utensils in. I used metal wire shelves in most of the cupboards to make the space more usable. In the bathroom I added a second shower curtain over the factory one. My Z came with a medicine cabinet. a friend bought one a short time later and it only had a mirror. The day she bought it we took the mirror down and added a medicine cabinet. Moved the toilet paper roller to the wall by the door. I added a second towel bar above the factory bar. I also installed a shower curtain rod that goes over the medicine cabinet and shower for extra hanging. I installed a shower surround. I did not like showering with just the vinyl wall paper. I added Command hooks all over. In the bathroom, on the outside of the bathroom wall, straight in from the door. I keep extra towels rolled up on the shelf above the rear bunk. I have a towel rack that hangs on the outside of the bathroom door. Outside I added a square vinyl tube to the rear bumper and on the tongue of the trailer. The one on the bumper holds my Rhino hose. The front tube holds outside things like roasting forks, pie irons, the sensor for my indoor outdoor thermometer. I keep extra blankets on the shelf above the front bed. I have a wire shelf in the cupboard above the sink. Most of the food goes up there. Heavy items like can goods go on the floor of the cupboard below the sink. I keep the dishes in the right side of the cupboard over the sofa. Again I have metal/wire shelves in both sides of the cupboard. I mounted a DVD, then a Blue Ray player under the cupboard, above the dinette. It is at the end toward the refrigerator. I have a 19 inch Vizio mounted above the refrigerator. I mounted it to the end of the ""radio" cupboard. I did not want to drill/screw into the outside wall. I love my Z. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Sanitized the water system tonight and camping this weekend!!!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeanddon View Post
we have just purchased one, but have not picked it up. Moving from a Coleman popup.
Noticed that there is not any drawers for utensils and wondered if anyone had ever put one in one of the cabinets under the stove. I really like having a drawer and know I will miss it.

I have an oven, so only the one cupboard. I keep my pots and pans in that cupboard.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #13

Here are the pictures of how I store my cutlery and utensils, and blanket storage above the front bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5441.jpg   IMG_5442.jpg   IMG_5443.jpg  

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 03-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #14

Here are a few other pictures of the shelves I use in the cupboards.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5436.jpg   IMG_5437.jpg   IMG_5445.jpg  

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

We had a hybrid around that size for the last 8 years.. Just selling it now.
As for storage.. When we first started, we bought each kid a rubber made bin and we stored them outside under the bunk ends. Then the next year we realized that we were not really using the shower and so I bought some plastic type drawers ( looks like a little cart) from Walmart and they fit really well in the opening. We attached Velcro to keep them from moving when we wherei the road. The year after that we had a light weight custom storage unit built that went right into the shower opening. We left the tub but removed the liner and this worked great..but obviously we were sure at that point that we wanted this. Any of those solutions for clothes works though...
We also used a lot of baskets from the dollar store in the cupboards.. They in some cases like under the stove could be stacked and really increased our storage.
We also bought sleeping bags that were the kind that shrink down really small.
I also sewed some custom storage pockets to hang in the bunk ends for the kids junk.
The last thing we did that really helped is that we bought a bunch of the white plastic 3M hooks that can attach to the wall and be removed after. They were amazing.. The big ones even hold coats.. And when we removed them all this year in order to sell.. They did not leave a mark...
So to sum up.. Look at every empty wall space as potential storage with hooks etc.. And look at every unused space with creative eyes and see what you can use it for.
I will post some pics of our mods if I can find them.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #16

Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgabay View Post
We are picking up our new baby on Friday. Can you tell we are excited? We started out in a travel trailer, downsized to a pop up and now I think we have the right combination - a hybrid.

My questions to other 17z owners - What are your solutions to storage? Where do you store clothes, towels, food, etc? Pictures of mods woud be great.

Also, what size TV will fit over the refrigerater. We have a 26" that we camp with but I'm worried about it fitting.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Congrats, We upgraded from a pop up, the 17Z is a great lil camper, we wouldn't trade it for nothing.
Welcome to the forum, you will be happy here, there are resident "experts" that can answer most questions.
You can check out the mods section for ideas.

You will be happy here!!!
2010 17Z
2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab HD Z71 Tow & Trailering PKG 6 Speed tranny.
shepwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #17

We just picked up our new 17Z! so excited!
I noticed in the photos you have fitted sheets on the mattress.
what size are they? queen or full? do they fit decent?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeanddon View Post
We just picked up our new 17Z! so excited!
I noticed in the photos you have fitted sheets on the mattress.
what size are they? queen or full? do they fit decent?

Congratulations on your new camper!!!

Yes I do have regular sheets on my beds. The front bunk is a full size queen, and the sheets fit perfect. The rear bed is 2 inches narrower and the sheets still fit fine. I do buy sheets that have elastic all the way around (on the bottom sheet). On the front bunk, my bed, I have 2 inch memory foam and a thick mattress pad. I lengthened the straps that hold the mattress in place when the bunkend is closed, and I leave all of the bedding on the mattress. The mattress hangs into the camper some, but it makes setting up quicker. Another thing I do when making the beds, is to open the bunkend windows, both the tenting and the screen, and make the far side of the bed from the outside.

Enjoy you Z, I love mine.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2010 Camping Stats
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #19

thanks for the info. I've been setting up housekeeping in it and wondered how you managed to keep the bedding on since it didn't look like more then a sheet could be on the mattress. Never even noticed that the screen opens too, that will make the bed much easier to make. I found at wally world a small plastic drawer system that fits under the stove for my utensils and all the stuff that was in my "junk" drawer in the popup. I am ready to go!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #20

I have a 17z and we carry most of the items in the tow vehicle and then bring it into the trailer when we get there. some stuff can go under the benches but not much.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote