Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

X17A vs. X17Z

Any thoughts on the X17A vs. the X17Z hybrid? The X17Z seems to be much more popular.
runnerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

We got our 17z before the 17A came out and enjoyed it. But hindsight being what it is, I would have gone with the 17A if it was available for the following reasons. The entry door is more centered - the 17Z has a choke point near the door. Also, the door can be open if it's raining. It can most times in the Z, but sometimes the wind will make rain come in.
More internal room if your willing to temporarily move your dinette.
Under-the-seat storage (as compared to OHC) does not bother me. In some situations I prefer it. I don't expect a lot of members to agree with that.
Those are all minor things. We went a lot of places in our 17Z and enjoyed every trip.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. We liked the placement of the door on the 17A but never thought of the weather aspect. We went ahead and ordered the A because we liked the tub/shower vs. just the shower. I think we would have liked the Z just as well. Can't wait to try it out!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

The Z is definitely the most readily available in Ohio but I'm thinking the X17A will become more acceptable over time. Karen and I searched the internet listings of all the dealers in the states surrounding us and only found a few of the 2013 X17A still available in upper Michigan while the Zs were still everywhere. We recently put a deposit down on a 2014 X17A that should be built this month. We are so excited!. We looked at the Zs and came very close to buying but decided to buy the A even though we have never been in side one. I personally like a bigger entrance to a trailer since there is always congestion at the door when coming and going or when preparing for a meal or shutting down for the night. I hadn't considered the wind blown rain issue but that is definitely important. Karen and I don't need the extra sleeping capacity of the Z's couch/bed since it's just the two of us. I also like the feature of a moving table since Im the bigger bellied of the two of us.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Glad we're not the only ones to order a 2014 17A without actually seeing one in person. We did a lot of virtual tours on the internet. We went through the Z several times at the dealer and loved it but the A had some features we liked a little better. Hope we still like it when we get it.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #6

X17A vs. X17Z

Funny thing- the dealer I bought my x17z at had told me Jayco was canceling the x17a. Someone was misinformed.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

We like the couch on the X17Z. In my personal opinion, I would much rather have a comfortable couch than a larger dinette. And the "J-Steel" couch is very comfortable.

As for the wind driven rain scenario, the 17Z and 17A will have a similar issues. The 17Z has the door at the rear of the awning and the 17A has the door at the front of the awning. It looks like both could have the same issue.

One of the things we liked about the 17Z was that it was bright and I didn't feel like I was in a can. (We came from a popup where it is all open). The 17Z has a large window over the couch and over the dinette along with and a smaller window over the sink. The 17A looks like it only has a small window on the door side of the camper. The 17A does have a wardrobe (which is why it doesn't have the extra window) giving some nice storage space.

I'm sure I'd be happy with either unit and I hope you enjoy your purchase!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
Funny thing- the dealer I bought my x17z at had told me Jayco was canceling the x17a. Someone was misinformed.
The dealer probably was thinking of the older X17C. That unit was not a good seller and was cancelled.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

X17A vs. X17Z

"We like the couch on the X17Z. In my personal opinion, I would much rather have a comfortable couch than a larger dinette. And the "J-Steel" couch is very comfortable."

X2!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

We recently traded our '03 Kiwi 17A, ancestor to the X17A and X17Z. If we were looking at that size today, it would be tough choice. Our X20E has a small wardrobe closet. It only hold a few jackets and some misc. items on the bottom. We miss the big one that our Kiwi had. So the X17A would be appealing to us for that reason alone. On the other hand, our X20E has the J-Steel couch, and as Penguin said, very comfortable! And its nice to have that kind of comfort on rainy days or when we get up and aren't ready to go outside yet. So one vote for the X17Z. The X17Z also has two large windows, the A only has one. We choose our Kiwi over a Cub in part because it also had two large window that let in a lot of light. That may not seem important because you can open the flaps on the bed, but on a rainy or chilly day it can make the trailer feel more "open".
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #11

We looked at both and liked the open feel of the Z more. The A has some nice features, but I personally felt more like I was in a cave in it. We consider our Z a two person trailer, and it has worked out top be the perfect little trailer for us!
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

We were ready to make a purchase of a leftover 2013 17A. However once we got the the dealership to check them out something funny happened. My boys tried to gather around the dinette like we do for breakfast and their legs were hitting the table legs and we found the table to be rather small. Plus one of the cushions was defective, they would not fit into place correctly. I was about to go back to the 17Z. We just happened to walk through the X18D on the way back over and my boys saw that they could have their own beds and made it clear to me that they would rather each have a bed. The dinette in the X18D is a little awkward on the front bench and the counter space is limited. However most of our time spent in the camper is sleeping. We put a cover on the stove and the whole thing works out very nice. It's about 400 lbs more, $2000 more, but has more open space, had room for the dogs bed and the double axle pulls nicely. We are very happy with our decision! I put this in here just for some insight between the two campers if someone is choosing between the A and the Z. Go D!
mikebuyscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebuyscars View Post
... I was about to go back to the 17Z. We just happened to walk through the X18D on the way back over and my boys saw that they could have their own beds and made it clear to me that they would rather each have a bed.
We would have purchased the 19H if we felt comfortable towing more with our TV. The 17Z is great for 2 people plus all our mountain bike stuff. Anymore than that, it would be a tight squeeze -- especially on a rainy day!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #14

We bought the 17A unseen, and love it, thought the dinette and bench would meet our needs, a little dark after the popup, but we don't want to be inside a lot anyway, used it thanksgiving week, and seemed really happy since the kitchen met our needs, cooked the turkey with an electric roaster since the oven is small. We are very happy with it
jstor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstor1 View Post
We bought the 17A unseen, and love it, thought the dinette and bench would meet our needs, a little dark after the popup, but we don't want to be inside a lot anyway, used it thanksgiving week, and seemed really happy since the kitchen met our needs, cooked the turkey with an electric roaster since the oven is small. We are very happy with it
... sounds like you are off to a great start. The best is yet to come.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #16

The X17s just have awful cargo capacity. If you can go up a level, I would do so in a heartbeat just for the piece of mind of loading the camper reasonably w/o worrying about being overweight. I would not buy the X17z or recommend it to anybody based on this.

Live and learn.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
The X17s just have awful cargo capacity. If you can go up a level, I would do so in a heartbeat just for the piece of mind of loading the camper reasonably w/o worrying about being overweight. I would not buy the X17z or recommend it to anybody based on this.

Live and learn.
^^^^

I agree 100% with s1njin. The other area Jayco falls short on, is tank capacities. With only 20 gallons of fresh water plus the hot water heater, you are not using the shower on a weekend trip unless you have full hook ups. Most other manufacturers are putting at least 30 gallon fresh water tanks. Jayco uses the 20 gallon in ALL of their hybrids. The Coleman hybrid (made by Dutchman, I believe) gives you 60 gallons of fresh water in their 17 foot hybrid, plus the option of power jack and awning.

After less than a year of owning a X17Z and fighting with the factory I was able to trade it in and take the financial hit. I wasn't crazy about losing money, but I am glad I not longer have the headache sitting in my driveway. Oh and the 2 year warranty, don't even get me started on that. When Jayco says their is a problem with the trailer but they are not going to spend anymore time or money on it, then the 2 year warranty doesn't do you much good.

Rant over. Sorry if I offended anybody, but those are the facts.
snappypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappypics View Post
^^^^

I agree 100% with s1njin. The other area Jayco falls short on, is tank capacities. With only 20 gallons of fresh water plus the hot water heater, you are not using the shower on a weekend trip unless you have full hook ups. Most other manufacturers are putting at least 30 gallon fresh water tanks. Jayco uses the 20 gallon in ALL of their hybrids. The Coleman hybrid (made by Dutchman, I believe) gives you 60 gallons of fresh water in their 17 foot hybrid, plus the option of power jack and awning.

After less than a year of owning a X17Z and fighting with the factory I was able to trade it in and take the financial hit. I wasn't crazy about losing money, but I am glad I not longer have the headache sitting in my driveway. Oh and the 2 year warranty, don't even get me started on that. When Jayco says their is a problem with the trailer but they are not going to spend anymore time or money on it, then the 2 year warranty doesn't do you much good.

Rant over. Sorry if I offended anybody, but those are the facts.
So what did you end up buying on the trade in?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... Jayco uses the 20 gallon in ALL of their hybrids.....snip
Not true, the X18D, X19H, and X20E all have 40 gallon fresh water tanks..., "plus" the HW tank capacity.

Quote:
snip...... The other area Jayco falls short on, is tank capacities. With only 20 gallons of fresh water plus the hot water heater, you are not using the shower on a weekend trip unless you have full hook ups. Most other manufacturers are putting at least 30 gallon fresh water tanks. Jayco uses the 20 gallon in ALL of their hybrids. The Coleman hybrid (made by Dutchman, I believe) gives you 60 gallons of fresh water in their 17 foot hybrid,.......snip
Your correct that the Coleman CTE171 has a 60 gallon fresh water tank capacity, but with further review you would also find that the Coleman CTE171 has 67 lbs less published CCC then the Jayco X17Z. IMO the 60 gallon tank capacity comparison is moot.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #20

We have a 2009 17c and for the most part really like it. This was our first season with it. We are a family of 4. My oldest son (15) and I use it mostly with our prospecting trips. We were in it for a week together last summer and it worked well.

I would agree that storage could be better but there is just no where to put anymore cabinets on a camper that size.. This camper is what it is.

My biggest complaint with the camper is where to put cloths and stuff. We have plenty of space for food. We packed enough clothes for about 3 days and made one trip into town and did laundry at a laundry mat. Worked out OK for us.

The water situation is not a problem for us. I believe our camper has a 28.5 gallon fresh water tank not a 20. We get to the camper that is in a remote location and use our 40 gallon water bladder to fill it. When we need more water we head out to a town and get more. On our week trip last summer we had to just re-fill the bladder once and we wound up dumping about 15 gallons out of the camper and about 10 gallons out of the bladder when we left. Two of us took showers each evening, washed our hands, used it for washing dishes etc. We don't drink water from a tank. I never would...so we just bring in our own bottled water to drink and cook with.
GoldMiner is offline   Reply With Quote