Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #21

I used a 3/4" self tapping screw. The walls have a 1x1 tubing in them so you want to stay shorter than that.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #22

Is that at the top where the vinyl meets the roof? I just purchased a 2018 and the front bunk corners were both broke. I requested they replace the plastic strip but they chose to put 13 more screws into the corners. You guessed it, first time out and it leaked. This is going in for repair in a couple of weeks. I also purchased an extended warranty.
tbrophy0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrophy0327 View Post
Is that at the top where the vinyl meets the roof? I just purchased a 2018 and the front bunk corners were both broke. I requested they replace the plastic strip but they chose to put 13 more screws into the corners. You guessed it, first time out and it leaked. This is going in for repair in a couple of weeks. I also purchased an extended warranty.
I think there are two root issues. 1st: the screws are over torqued when installed, putting to much pressure on the plastic strip, and a larger washer is required to spread the force over a larger area. I added a few additional screws a few years ago, and a small washer. Earlier this summer while out, we got some water in. I looked corners and they were pulling again, and the plastic strip is cracked (I think it is aging pourly). I removed one screw at a time and installed a larger washer, and pushed the fabric back up. Should be good for anther 5 years. 2nd: is the plastic strip itself. The long term solution is to replace the plastic strip with a metal one. I would like to find a piece of it, to see what could be substituted. From what I can tell, the plastic strip is what holds up the canvas.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Not sure if this was meant for me since I was the last to post. I ran the clips all the way around the canvas/plastic strip. I will get pictures as soon as possible - wish I could find them here from the person that gave me the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
2nd: is the plastic strip itself. The long term solution is to replace the plastic strip with a metal one. I would like to find a piece of it, to see what could be substituted. From what I can tell, the plastic strip is what holds up the canvas.
I may be misunderstanding you. The canvas is sewn to the plastic strip so I'm not sure changing it to a metal strip would work, how would the canvas attach?

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 09-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post

I may be misunderstanding you. The canvas is sewn to the plastic strip so I'm not sure changing it to a metal strip would work, how would the canvas attach?
I have never taken the plastic strip off. Mine is very broken in the two corners on my HTT, the canvas does not look like it is sewn to the plastic, but it would make it easier to install. Even if we could installing a metal strip over the plastic strip could be very beneficial.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #26

I just threw my question out there against your comment. Wasn't sure how to add a general comment as I'm new to this forum. Still trying to figure how to post pictures. I was going to show what the dealer did to my plastic strip. They added a dozen screws on both sides to hold the vinyl in place. It pretty much destroyed the plastic strip. Now I have an appointment to get it fixed, hopefully replaced. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #27

How dealer fixed my plastic strip

Just purchased this used 2018 x17z and this is how the dealer fixed the drooping corners on the front bunk. By the looks of all the screws, they shattered the plastic strip holding the vinyl cover in. This did leak on my first trip and I added a touch of silicone to the leaky area. We were expected to get slammed that evening with heavy rain. It didn't leak the second night, but we were parked under some trees and didn't get the rain that was called for. Someone mentioned that there is a 5-7 year warranty on this, not sure if that carries over to second owners. I did purchase a 4 year extended warranty and this is still within their 30 day warranty. This is going in on the 14th to be fixed. I'm going to request they replace the plastic and not seal the broken pieces. Overall, we love the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Canvass Left.jpg   Canvass Right.jpg  
Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlangan View Post
I had a similar issue on my 2011 X18D. I had new j-rail replaced on the canvas by Bear Creek Canvas. They did a great job and were awesome to work with. I was hesitant to put screws back into the new j-rail so instead I used coax clips that I could drill and screw into the aluminum frame. Worked out well.
@rlangan A year later, how are the clips holding up? I'll be installing a new end this weekend/next week and am looking for other ways to install instead of drilling through the vinyl strip.

Thanks!
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #29

I have a 2017 jay feather 17xfd. Purchased it used. Mine is doing the same thing. Anyone come up with a solution for a permanent fix?
Mojo6677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #30

So far the best idea has been the coax clips and screws into the frame around the bunk. Min has been this way for the season (only opened/closed 6 or so times) but no sign of cracking.
They may not hide very well but with nothing going through the plastic to start a crack it works.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

Old 09-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Just purchased this used 2018 x17z and this is how the dealer fixed the drooping corners on the front bunk. By the looks of all the screws, they shattered the plastic strip holding the vinyl cover in. This did leak on my first trip and I added a touch of silicone to the leaky area. We were expected to get slammed that evening with heavy rain. It didn't leak the second night, but we were parked under some trees and didn't get the rain that was called for. Someone mentioned that there is a 5-7 year warranty on this, not sure if that carries over to second owners. I did purchase a 4 year extended warranty and this is still within their 30 day warranty. This is going in on the 14th to be fixed. I'm going to request they replace the plastic and not seal the broken pieces. Overall, we love the camper.

I'm following this too. I don't see where the 5-7 year warranty is listed.
zebelkinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #32

tbrophy0327 please go out and unscrew the screw and the washer where its pinched the canvas. It will start tearing where the canvas is pinched between the washer and the plastic.

Sean
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #33

I’ve had to add just a few new screws but I predrilled the ( or made clearance holes ) first. Another thing that has never been mentioned is that when folding up the tent ends you MUST lower the bar at the front of the tent end before you lift the bunk end up. My count on raising the ends over the last 6 years is just over a 100
Old 10-21-2020, 06:23 AM   #34

I wonder if this molding could fit overtop of the cracked one? Mine are cracked on my 16XRB, so I applied some clear silicon, at the areas for now. There’s no more leaks thankfully. Putting this overtop of the existing molding might dress it up.

RecPro 1" White Flexible RV Screw Cover Trim Molding with Leg
5 reviews

SKU:X-D0599-PW-25UPC:606345296643

White Flexible RV Screw Cover Trim Molding w Leg1" White Flexible RV Screw Cover Trim Molding with Leg1" White Flexible RV Screw Cover Trim Molding with Leg
$18.95
Size
SIZE: *
25' 50'
QUANTITY:
DECREASE QUANTITY: INCREASE QUANTITY:
Attached Thumbnails
61F6307C-D01B-4420-88C2-DFE4AE2C28BD.png  
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #35

Gimp molding

Gimp molding is the technical term for the plastic strip that is attached to the vinyl. The dealer finally looked at mine and ordered a replacement strip. They will need to send my vinyl bunk end out to an upholstery joint to have the new one sewed in. Hopefully, I highly doubt it, they pre-drill pilot holes in the plastic strip prior to fastening the screws. According to the dealer, this is a common issue with these types of trailers. I did read in my owners manual that the vinyl is covered for 5 yrs. Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:52 AM   #36

New Trim

Planning on replacing the J-Lock on my 19XUD, due to factory installation that caused the splitting and separation of the plastic strip, I ordered and installed the new trim design that are used on a X17Z. The 19XUD is a jay feather 7, so I had to cut a little off the length. The new trim design will pinch the J-Lock so I will not have to use screws or drill holes in the plastic strip when I replace the plastic strip.
Attached Thumbnails
new trim 3.jpg   new trim 2.jpg   new trim 1.jpg  
Geoscience Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:00 PM   #37

Checking in on the J-lock replacement status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoscience Guy View Post
Planning on replacing the J-Lock on my 19XUD, due to factory installation that caused the splitting and separation of the plastic strip, I ordered and installed the new trim design that are used on a X17Z. The 19XUD is a jay feather 7, so I had to cut a little off the length. The new trim design will pinch the J-Lock so I will not have to use screws or drill holes in the plastic strip when I replace the plastic strip.

Now that you have had the new J-Lock trim design on your 19XUD for a while how did it work? I have a 2018 X17Z and need to replace the same thing. Do you recall where you ordered it and how you found that new design? I have been searching and either am looking in the wrong places or don't know the right terms to search.

Any information would be great. Thanks!
CampGrl70 is offline   Reply With Quote