Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

x17z CAT Scale Results

Thought I would share my CAT scale results from our trip over the weekend. I was towing my TT with our 2015 Toyota Tacoma. TV included 4 adults, generator, weber grill and maybe to much beer / soda in the back. Results showed that I was 110 pounds over my drive axle GAWR.

Trailer towed great over two passes (Snoqualmie and Blewett) without any hesitation. Gas mileage averaged 11 mpg at 60 mph. Our TT tires are only rated at 65 mph so I was limited on my speed, but could have easily traveled the speed limit (70). Highest outbound transmission temp recorded via OBD2 was 222 degrees just as we made our way over Blewett pass otherwise transmission temps averaged about 175.

Being that it is a Toyota, I don't even give it a second thought about running 100% of my TV GVWR. My main concern this trip was staying under the TT axle GVWR (3000lbs) and learning what we really need to pack and what we don't need to pack on our trips.

Anyways, yes I know a full size pickup would be much better and a diesel should always be used for towing. And that I am putting everyone in danger running max GVWR and I am directly in the path of Mount Rainier's pyroclastic flow at the same time the moon is falling.

Just thought I would share and say I love this little trailer!

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Great looking setup!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsims View Post
\

Being that it is a Toyota, I don't even give it a second thought about running 100% of my TV GVWR.
What does being a Toyota have to do with it? You can run any truck up to it's capacities. What you will find no matter what you tow with is that you'll always have a better towing experience having some margin.

You got pretty decent mileage!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
What does being a Toyota have to do with it? You can run any truck up to it's capacities. What you will find no matter what you tow with is that you'll always have a better towing experience having some margin.

You got pretty decent mileage!
Toyota in my experience has been very conservative with their numbers in the past. I wont go into details so, I formally retract my Toyota statement . Mileage wise, 10 to 11 is pretty average towing my trailer. ODB2 did report about 5 mpg traveling over Blewett which has about a 6% grade and only slightly better going over Snoqualmie at 7 mpg while maintaining 60 mph.

Overall I was pretty impressed with how well this little trailer pulls and camps.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

You mean 107% of your GVWR?

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittychris View Post
You mean 107% of your GVWR?
HAHA, yes you are right... No, I dumped most of our fresh water we were traveling with and was able to offload / rearrange some gear to hopefully get me under my rear GAWR. However, can't really be certain without going through the scales again. Next long trip, I'll probably leave the canopy off and generator at home. Not sure why I brought the generator when we had full hookups.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Not sure why, but the image links seem to have changed on OneDrive and broke. Since I am not able to edit the original post, updating here: