Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

X17Z leaking in front bunk end

Hello all. This is the problem I have

The clear plastic channel that the tent end is attached to the trailer with is cracked right around a screw. When it rains the water runs into this channel and drips thru the crack. I have tried to silicon it up and seal it, but the water still leaks thru eventually. I really want to try and fix without replacing the entire tent end. Any suggestions? Can you seal this clear channel from the outside on the top, to prevent water getting into this channel ?

Would really appreciate any suggestions or things that have worked for other owners. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20150805_103017.jpg  
jethroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

It seems to me that water should not even be getting this far. The seal around the bed panel may not be making full contact on the front wall. How old is this trailer? Do you treat the bed seals with protectant?

Or is this leaking when the bed is open for camping? Even then, some sort of sealant should prevent the leak.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Sorry I should have mentioned this. It only leaks when the tent end is opened, No problems at all when its fully closed. I can see the water in this clear channel, Is this normal. I will have to check the other end . Thx
Old 08-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Like "Doc" mentioned, how old is it and what model is it! I also don't think water is entering at this point.
First thing I would do is add a washer at this location to hold it up. Next I would lower the bunk end but not put the tent up. Then I would stand in the tent ( shoes off) and inspect that outer edge bead all the way across and see where it's not tight and maybe add another screw and washer on the inside. While your standing on the tent inspect the rain gutter above the tent and check all those screws and make sure their all screwed in straight and I bet their not. You can buy tiny rubber "O" rings for those screws and that should give you a water tight seal for the gutter.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Tunce has it spot on! That's what I would do.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethroc View Post
Hello all. This is the problem I have

The clear plastic channel that the tent end is attached to the trailer with is cracked right around a screw. When it rains the water runs into this channel and drips thru the crack. I have tried to silicon it up and seal it, but the water still leaks thru eventually. I really want to try and fix without replacing the entire tent end. Any suggestions? Can you seal this clear channel from the outside on the top, to prevent water getting into this channel ?

Would really appreciate any suggestions or things that have worked for other owners. Thanks
We had two of our bunk ends fixed under warranty by Jayco. When we first bought our trailer, someone had backed a truck into the front bunk tenting on the camper tearing a big hole in it. the dealer replaced that with a new tent, but drove the screws into this plastic bead too tight and caused it to split around the screw heads.

The same problem existed on the side bunk of our X18D, from the factory. Same problem, screws driven in too tight.

Like you I assumed that I would need brand-new tents, but Jayco fixed both ends under warranty by seam ripping the plastic bead off and sewing a new bead on. So, it may not be as spendy to do as you might think. It took about 2 weeks IIRC. I'd give them a call and see how much they charge.
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

HI Everyone. Thanks for the ideas. I did try putting washers on the screws and ensure they were tight. The leaking still occurred.

I did however take a high end silicon and loosened the inside screws, and on the outside of the tent end, I sealed top side of the tent end where the folded side goes into the clear channel, I did this from the top and approx 1/2 way down on either side. This sealed the topside of the tent end to the trailer. Spent a week in upper state New York and had several good storms and all night rains, and no leaks. So far so good.

Thanks everyone
Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Hi Jethroc -
Do you have any pictures of your silicon repair to your leaking bunk end? I also have a 2013 x17z and have the exact same problem.
Thank you.
Matt in Michigan.
mratzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

Hi Matt I do not own the trailer any more. But once I did seal the top edge of the tent end where it goes into the clear channel, starting at the top til approx. half way down. I did not have any more leaks for the past few years.

Good Luck
Jeffroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Cracking of clear plastic channel that the tent end is attached to the trailer right around a screw is a common problem for Jayco Hybrids. Many people have had this corrected under warranty. This appears to be a design defect that has been occurring for years and not corrected. It seems ridiculous that the only resolution from Jayco is to replace the entire bed tenting. Washers do seem to be a good method of relieving the stress around the screws to mitigate further damage.

That being said, I have not seen or heard of this causing water leaks. I agree with what others have said that you are likely to have some other water leak problem. That water may then be filtering in through the cracks.

Good luck.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

The small beginning cracks may not leak, much, but after a while you're just out of luck and you will have a hole. I installed a new tent a few weeks ago and have yet to secure it while I try to figure out a way to keep the plastic from cracking. I do not have high hopes! I may just go this season without securing it to see how it works - it was a tight fit when I installed it so it shouldn't take much to keep it in place.

New hybrid owner slogan: Good luck to us all!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

I would drill a clearance hole for the screws first and also use a washer to give you a larger hold down area.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #13

Trim repair

I own this unit and i had the trim reinstalled by a third part for a decent price and turn around wasn’t bad. Shop goes by bearcreekcanvas. When i got it back i skipped the screws as they were obviously the root of my trim splitting. After many mends with caulk to aluminum trim tape i threw in the towel and started with a new trim piece reusing my same canvas which is in great shape. Great people who do great work.
theamazingmaynards is offline   Reply With Quote